The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

happyAKgirl said...
I do not agree at all. I read The Giver earlier and loved it. The ending was mysterious and the author gave you the chance to decide for yourself what happend. It was confusing in a good sort of way. But good job on you review Bapalapa2 even though i disagree.

NicholasJohnButlersGirl4-EverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 31, 2012 at 8:51 am:
I totally agree.  I mean the ending is like what happened di he make it or did they die? We will never know. The book became very dull and dissapointing the further you get into the novel. I had to read it twice and wouldnt recommend it to anyone ever.

jenledgerfan said...
I read this book and I thought it was one of the best bo! oks ever. when you can write as good as Lois Lowry then feel free to bash a great work of literature.

pandagirl312 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I recently read The Giver, and I loved it. I spent days after reading it thinking about it. However, you are entitled to your opinion, too. It's a nicely done review, even if I don't agree. :)

Pea6898 said...
 The giver was confusing book but only at the ending otherwise it was a wonderful story and i look forward to read the next one. Louis lowery is an awesome but confuseing auther a good one by louis is number the stars. I hope more readers like the giver.

malaix said...
Gathering Blue, The Messenger

IMAdreamerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:41 pm:

I really enjoyed The Giver, though i didn't like the ending because i wanted to know what would happen next, of course i hardly ever like the endings to books... it must be that humanistic characteristic of always wanting more...

ps. please check out my work....

BreathingUpsideDown said...
Jun. 25, 2012 at 8:59 am:
I absolutely loved The Giver. Coming at it expecting an action-packed teen romance built to satisfy the attention deprived youth of today you will be dissappointed. But if you're looking for something with real insight and emotion and if you really want to have to read into the characters this is a wonderful book. You say it didn't make sense, I argue that you just didn't understand it. Though the ending did leave the reader wanting, overall I think it was a beautifly written... (more »)

Kaitlyn_Deann said...
Jun. 20, 2012 at 2:37 pm:
I actually really liked The Giver, though I do admit it wasn't my favorite book. I probably won't read it again for years. The idea was amazing, but I wasn't a big fan of the style or ending. 

DreamingOutQuiet said...
Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:38 pm:
The giver never had a chance. Good idea: absolutely terrible writing and delivery. *shudder* (not to mention one dimensional characters) I hate when authors dumb down books this much. 

MR. SMARTY PANTS said...
May 17, 2012 at 3:59 pm:
It was an amazing book but the ending was a little wierd. Also, If you could describe this book in one word, what would it be? I chose Ignorance

crushed_veneer said...
May 17, 2012 at 10:55 am:
I agree and disagree.  I think the idea of the book was wonderful, I think it was very creative, however I don't think the book was creatively written or well written.

NaomiStatia said...
May 17, 2012 at 5:12 am:
Well, I am going to have to disagree. I read it resently and found it very interesting. How Jonas learn from the "Giver" that this life is not what "life" is. Imagine having no color in your life? Imagine having a child and it being taken away from you? Imagine not being able to chose your husband/wife due to the "cousels" choice? But that is all that community has ever known. Running away was because Jonas was trying to help the community. Helping them move into a different life, letting them s... (more »)

saryachanThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 9, 2012 at 1:23 am:

Though the book was quite mundane at times, I have to say that the plot was superbly interesting, and not predictable at all...at least, when I read it. The ending leaves the reader hanging with the obscurely described ending, and though I was utterly frustrated by the ending, I thought the book overall was quite well done. Otherwise, why else would they tell us to read it in school? 

SensAtion said...
May 6, 2012 at 2:42 pm:
To be candid, this book review could use some revision. I am not the greatest "Giver" fan either, but this post isn't so much of a well-rounded review as it is an opinion in three paragraphs. It's oozing with malcontent yet with no explanations at all except for the vague "dull" or "dreadful." There are numerous adjectives though minimal substance is present in this article. If you wish to be a writer you must realize that the quality of the writing is not in the selection of words, especially o... (more »)

wishingtheskywasbluer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
good review. . . but i loved the book and thought it was one of the best i had ever read.

maeugeniap said...
Apr. 3, 2012 at 11:42 am:
I read it when I was 10 or 9 years old. I enjoyed it, and loved the end. I do not understand why do you think it is a very dull book, because it is a piece of art. This book lets you decide how to imagine and see what is happening from different perspectives. This book really was what many had tried to achieve but never did it. 

Missy312This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Hm... when I first read "The Giver," I was confused as well. I disliked it. But reading it years later, I realized that it's actually quite a deep book. In all fairness, I think this book means different things to people of varying stages in life. As a middle-school student, I couldn't relate to such a dismal world. As I've grown older, I can appreciate this book more. 

cutie pie said...
Mar. 20, 2012 at 12:13 pm:
well i do agree i read this in six grade and in eighth grade. we even wrote to the author n she wrote back.i loved it. at the end it will have you confused.

owlover1 said...
Mar. 19, 2012 at 4:47 pm:
I actually think is is a great yet sad book. I am very suprised about what negative comments these people give about this book