The Giver by Lois Lowry MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

jaydaug BRONZE said...
on May. 20 2015 at 7:54 am
jaydaug BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier die but once." -Tupac Shakur

My sixth grade teacher made my class do the same thing, for the same reasons. I was wondering if you were one of the students in that class.

thecritizer1 said...
on Apr. 27 2015 at 9:49 am
@thecritisizer hey ive read every book in the world

thecommenter said...
on Apr. 22 2015 at 10:50 am
this book was amazing I liked it I don't agree with the writer I thought it was really good I would recommend the book to every one but when we stop reading it made me want to read on I don't like your review don't be so mean that person worked hard to entertain us so don't be that way write a better review

on Apr. 22 2015 at 10:47 am
this book waz amazane and I totally disagree with your opinion. I would recommened this book to every one by the way I am disappointed with your review and I disliked it so get your mind straight

Jessica said...
on Apr. 22 2015 at 10:42 am
I agree with you the book sucked

nishka9 BRONZE said...
on Mar. 10 2015 at 10:57 pm
nishka9 BRONZE, Santa Clara, California

"True friendship comes when silence between two people is comfortable."
-Dave Tyson Gentry.

@SophieSchnitzel I completely agree with you, although your opinion on "raising questions" differs for me since I thought Divergent and The Hunger Games were rather intriguing to me and did raise questions. The romance in each was a bit overpowering for the main point of theme behind them, I have to admit that.

Denisa said...
on Mar. 7 2015 at 7:14 pm
I completely agree with you and I remember reading this in 8th grade and hating it; however I wasn’t the only one, in fact most of the kids in my grade hated the book. I think it’s mainly because when you’re that young and forced to read a book you automatically lose interest even more. But recently I re-read it and actually found myself…still hating it. I agree that this novel was boring and what I disliked the most about it was the ending. It left me feeling disappointed and kind of angry because I wanted so badly to know what happened to Jonas and the baby.

on Mar. 6 2015 at 3:07 pm
LegendKeeper DIAMOND, Unadilla, New York

"What is impossible with man is possible with God." Luke 18:27

Admittedly, the style needed work, and Jonas seemed a bit young to be experiencing some of the situations, and the plot itself was confusing, but it's a good wake up call. Honestly, it seems as if what we are experiencing in this age is a 'watered-down' version of what is portrayed. So yes, the book is someone hard to read, but the lesson is important too. (We just shouldn't abuse style for lesson)

catty98e GOLD said...
on Mar. 5 2015 at 3:26 pm
catty98e GOLD, Spring HIll, Kansas

"I'm a freak, I've been a freak my whole life. I just have to live with it, you know. I'm just one of those people. I'm not going to change the way I think or the way I feel to conform to anything."
-John Winston Lennon (1940-1980)

I love this book very much, I read it in seventh grade and it was very insightful and twisting. but, i do respect your opinion

on Feb. 22 2015 at 11:39 pm
SophieFloph PLATINUM, Seattle, Washington

"Her stomach did a revengeful flop."

The Giver was a REAL dystopian book. The most important thing for me in dystopian literature is to raise questions and The Giver did that. The problem with The Hunger Games and Divergent is that IT DIDN'T RAISE QUESTIONS AT ALL. I liked the Hunger Games and hated Divergent with a burning passion (sorry) but I was disappointed by both in that they didn't raise questions. They were barely dystopias. Well, they WERE dystopias, but all Divergent was for me was a romance (with dystopia in the background). YA dystopias these days are all "dystomances" and I HATE IT SO MUCH. What I like about The Giver is that it didn't have that. They put some in the movie, and even though it wasn't very true to the book I liked the movie because it raised lots of questions...Sorry, I got a little too into it. As you can probably tell, this is not the first time I've ranted about dystopias and the YA shelf of the library. Anyway.

AlejandroG said...
on Feb. 11 2015 at 6:14 pm
The giver is apart of a four piece set, she's broken them up.

on Feb. 11 2015 at 6:10 pm
AlejandroG BRONZE, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
That's great dude. I'm seeing all of these comments like "Bland book” etc. Like guys there are other books.

on Feb. 11 2015 at 2:06 pm
EllyApolloRose GOLD, Washington, Pennsylvania

"When you’re alone, you can make any choice you want. But when someone loves you, you lose that right."
-Alice Paul in Iron Jawed Angels

I do! I've read three of four, I have yet to read "Son".

annycs13 GOLD said...
on Feb. 9 2015 at 5:15 pm
annycs13 GOLD, Davis, California

"The less you reveal, the more people can wonder.."

-Emma Watson

In sixth grade my teacher made us rewrite the ending to the book because my whole class disliked it. It isn't a very good book, but the idea it conveys is very strong. I wouldn't recommend the book to anyone as well, but I think that it's a very good display of a true dystopian world according to a dictionary's definition.

nishka9 BRONZE said...
on Jan. 30 2015 at 8:32 pm
nishka9 BRONZE, Santa Clara, California

-Dave Tyson Gentry.

I believe it depends on when you read this novel. The new books such as Divergent and The Hunger Games really brought out the Dystopian novels, but Th GIver really satrted the trend and people gained interest in the dystopian genre.

on Jan. 29 2015 at 6:32 pm
Does anyone know that this book is part of a four piece set?

Bookworm4610 said...
on Jan. 13 2015 at 6:41 pm
Bookworm4610, Thealka, Kentucky

"THIS IS A PEN!" ~Rick Riordan

I agree..This was an EXTREMLY Bland book... it had no "Flavor"

NoniDoni GOLD said...
on Jan. 12 2015 at 8:41 pm
NoniDoni GOLD, Calabasas, California
I loved the book and will agree to disagree with you!

on Dec. 31 2014 at 2:30 am
HappyEmeal GOLD, Lahore, Other

When life knocks you down, Dhuzzz! Just puzza back up!!!

I agree with you at some places. I liked the book, but it was dull and the end just left me confused. WHY WOULD LOIS DO THAT TO US? And the movie that came out this year is even worse. I agree at places with you, but I think it was an okay book.

anonymous said...
on Nov. 20 2014 at 9:28 am
I  read this book last year and I am in the 8th grade now, I for one Love the book but I love your opinion.  

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!