The Giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Giver by Lois Lowry MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 587 comments.


on Jul. 17 2009 at 2:54 am
cheyenneduhon PLATINUM, Lumberton, Texas
31 articles 0 photos 144 comments
i love this article!! it showed the EXACT same way i feel about the book!!! Lios Lowery must have been insane when she wrote this bcuz other books by her are amazing!!1 This book was confusing and too complex Love your article!!!! Great review!!!

on Jul. 4 2009 at 3:11 am
RetardedUnicorn SILVER, Leland, North Carolina
5 articles 9 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr.Seuss

I read this book in 8th grade and loved it. It's the perfect example of how a world with the title of 'utopia' always fails. I loved how you don't even realize that everyone cannot see colors and how one person can hold everything, in order for everyone to live perfectly. And personally, if it wasn't a great book, than why did it get awarded with the Newberry Medal? I think the writer of this article needs to open their imagination more in order to enjoy this book.

Blcky588 said...
on Jul. 3 2009 at 3:56 pm
I found that this book was interesting and my English 9CP teacher has been having her freshman read it every year to begin the year off. However there are a lot of people who may not like the book most of those people haven't even given it the benefit of the doubt.

melodylake18 said...
on Jun. 20 2009 at 4:20 am
I loved this book. It led you into the world of a completely different society. I read the whole series (there are two more that correspond to it).

on Apr. 12 2009 at 11:59 pm
i read the book and liked it. i could make up my own ending. not the best review.

tori104 said...
on Mar. 26 2009 at 3:49 pm
this rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on Mar. 25 2009 at 11:56 pm
goldfish682 BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 6 comments
I love The Giver! I agree that it might not go under the 'fine literature' category, but I do think it was very enjoyable. I thought it had something interesting to say. That's me, though.

errrr said...
on Mar. 8 2009 at 10:51 am
First of all whoever wrote that the Giver was dull and uninteresting is a SNOB. Let's see them try to write something better and if it were a poorly written book, why'd everyone read it? It is extremely infamous and is a chilling story, the 'sameness' created between them is so great, they are all colorblind.

on Mar. 2 2009 at 9:13 pm
Isaac Carnes BRONZE, Cave Junction, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 3 comments
i hated this book. i was so angry at my teacher for making me read it.

i felt like it was the biggest waste of time in my life.

gabbygurl18 said...
on Feb. 3 2009 at 4:33 pm
I LOVED this book. I thought it was a good way to show great literature at work. You hsve to have a good imagination to understand the book though.

teensytoes said...
on Dec. 17 2008 at 12:15 am
i dissagree. people can have their own oppinions so i;m not going to complain. i really liked this book and thought it was vary interesting. you gave away the ending though. you don't find out that releas is bad untill the END of the book. i really liked it. thats all i'm going to say

vballchick said...
on Dec. 11 2008 at 12:07 am
Your article is good, but I have a different opinion. I read the Giver a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Yes, it is often hard to understand and a little slow, but I think overall, the book is very good. It isn't one of those can't-put-it-down novels, but it is one of the best assigned books I have read.

Rasio said...
on Dec. 9 2008 at 1:11 am
I would have to agree with this analysis. Although I do not feel so strongly about this book, I found it moderately tedious and do not understand why it received the award it did. The plot line was fairly easy to follow but I found it extremely predictable and the story itself left me feeling unfulfilled. I understand the message that the author was trying to convey, but I simply think it too dull for free reading or English class. Because, quite frankly, writing essays on this book is not one of the most exciting 8th grade experiences.

BeatleMania said...
on Dec. 6 2008 at 10:24 pm
It's neat to see so many sides of the readers of this book. Few that I know that have read The Giver didn't either love it or hate it. I think the people that see the need in society for change, as well as the fear of what change can bring, are the people most guaranteed to enjoy this story of hidden secrets, while those that see the world through an "It is what it is" standpoint will not find the true meaning of a story meant to be so thought-provoking.

zaaniyah said...
on Nov. 29 2008 at 11:38 am
Wow, thank you for your review, but I disagree with it. I'm sorry that you did not enjoyed it because it really was enjoyable for me. The giver was not what I expected either, but we may want to keep in mind to try to read books without any expectations and an open mind. thanks again

Mr. O said...
on Nov. 14 2008 at 9:22 pm
Yeah, I couldn't disagree more. I found this book inspiring and thought provoking, as most of my 7th and 8th graders did. Based on the responses I received, I think it facilitated thought about simple choices, freedoms, death and risk vs. reward among the students. I felt many of the students, with or without knowing it, gained insight and perspective with respect to life lessons. I’m sorry you didn’t get more out of it.

on Oct. 20 2008 at 10:28 pm
Your review was well-written, and I can see where you're coming from. The book was a lot different from how I expected it to be. Although, most books about the future are going to be confusing and not at all what you expect it's going to be like. However, I did enjoy reading The Giver. I don't know if reading Gathering Blue and the Messenger would help make you understand The Giver better, but you should give it a shot. I mean, you may not like those books either, but you'll never know if you don't try, right? Once you've read those books you might want to try reading The Giver again to gain a better understanding of it.

Emily said...
on Oct. 8 2008 at 9:22 pm
I do think the review was nicely written, but I strongly disagree with your review. I have very high standards, and happened to love Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. Yet I found The Giver a lovely novel, and well-deserving of its award.

Sarah said...
on Oct. 1 2008 at 10:20 pm
I find it very sad that you can't comprehend the beautifully written and artfully constructed book that is "The Giver". The book illustrated the concept of the inability to decide for yourself. Of course everyone feels like they can't control something at one point in their life but this books shows a world where people can't make a choice about their futures and they are denied some of the most pleasurable human experiences. Most kids today take for granted the rights we have. In some places you don't have a choice. I thought the book was wonderful. I have to say that I completely disagree with your review. You need to remember that catchy lines don't make "a fine piece of literature".

Emuhlee said...
on Sep. 18 2008 at 6:56 pm
I read The Giver as a school assignment when I was in 6th grade. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It was quite thought provoking, especially for me as a pretty sheltered kid. I don't usually enjoy future themed books, but I loved The Giver, and I encourage everyone to read it.