The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

emilyrk said...
i disagree 100%. i read the giver in the 8th grade and i absolutly loved it. i liked it so much a read ahead of the class. it was weird, but i like weird books. it got me to think.

jobro2344 said...
Sept. 6, 2008 at 12:42 am
i agree the giver does leave you confused at the end but overall it is still a really good book!!!

MJrox said...
Aug. 26, 2008 at 2:41 am
The review was written beautifully. You gave us enough information to get the basic gist of the novel without giving away any important plot details. I do, however disagree with your analysis.I read it for the first time when I was 10. The book was beautiful and its still one of my favorites.

Marina said...
You are totaly wrong about this book! It might be a little weird but if all books had to be under stood perfectly people would'nt have to think and if that was so what would be the point in reading!
I read this book when I was 12 and I am ready to read it again! Any one reading this should know that it is not good to judge a book by its cover, but if you do, this book is awsome! that is just my pursonal opinion, and you are alowed to have yours!

Shane_Zeh_Banderbear said...
I enjoyed The Giver actually. Each time I've read it, I've shed a few tears. It's not an 'escape book', meaning a book that has a snappy, adventerous plot. It's a book of meaning. You have to get in depth with this story to enjoy it.

I liked the book a lot.

swiftie_emz This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 31, 2014 at 2:30 am
I agree with you at some places. I liked the book, but it was dull and the end just left me confused. WHY WOULD LOIS DO THAT TO US? And the movie that came out this year is even worse. I agree at places with you, but I think it was an okay book.

cutie pie replied...
i agree with you it is.

AlejandroG replied...
That's great dude. I'm seeing all of these comments like "Bland book” etc. Like guys there are other books.

AlejandroG replied...
The giver is apart of a four piece set, she's broken them up.