The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Rasio said...
Dec. 9, 2008 at 1:11 am:
I would have to agree with this analysis. Although I do not feel so strongly about this book, I found it moderately tedious and do not understand why it received the award it did. The plot line was fairly easy to follow but I found it extremely predictable and the story itself left me feeling unfulfilled. I understand the message that the author was trying to convey, but I simply think it too dull for free reading or English class. Because, quite frankly, writing essays on this book is not one o... (more »)

Mr. O said...
Yeah, I couldn't disagree more. I found this book inspiring and thought provoking, as most of my 7th and 8th graders did. Based on the responses I received, I think it facilitated thought about simple choices, freedoms, death and risk vs. reward among the students. I felt many of the students, with or without knowing it, gained insight and perspective with respect to life lessons. I’m sorry you didn’t get more out of it.

melody_the_angel said...
Your review was well-written, and I can see where you're coming from. The book was a lot different from how I expected it to be. Although, most books about the future are going to be confusing and not at all what you expect it's going to be like. However, I did enjoy reading The Giver. I don't know if reading Gathering Blue and the Messenger would help make you understand The Giver better, but you should give it a shot. I mean, you may not like those books either, but you'll never know if you do... (more »)

Emily said...
I do think the review was nicely written, but I strongly disagree with your review. I have very high standards, and happened to love Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. Yet I found The Giver a lovely novel, and well-deserving of its award.

Sarah said...
I find it very sad that you can't comprehend the beautifully written and artfully constructed book that is "The Giver". The book illustrated the concept of the inability to decide for yourself. Of course everyone feels like they can't control something at one point in their life but this books shows a world where people can't make a choice about their futures and they are denied some of the most pleasurable human experiences. Most kids today take for granted the rights we have. In s... (more »)

Emuhlee said...
I read The Giver as a school assignment when I was in 6th grade. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It was quite thought provoking, especially for me as a pretty sheltered kid. I don't usually enjoy future themed books, but I loved The Giver, and I encourage everyone to read it.

laurie135 said...
i disagree. i love this book! if it doesn't make sence, then it means it's just too deep for you. it takes a lot of thought to understand. read "1984" and you may understand this a little better. they're both about similar things.

Wanda Leibowitz replied...
Dec. 4, 2009 at 8:13 pm :
I completely agree. Had I not read "1984" before reading this I would have been completely lost. "Animal Farm" is also another great book to read to understand better.

emilyrk said...
i disagree 100%. i read the giver in the 8th grade and i absolutly loved it. i liked it so much a read ahead of the class. it was weird, but i like weird books. it got me to think.

jobro2344 said...
Sept. 6, 2008 at 12:42 am:
i agree the giver does leave you confused at the end but overall it is still a really good book!!!

MJrox said...
Aug. 26, 2008 at 2:41 am:
The review was written beautifully. You gave us enough information to get the basic gist of the novel without giving away any important plot details. I do, however disagree with your analysis.I read it for the first time when I was 10. The book was beautiful and its still one of my favorites.

Marina said...
You are totaly wrong about this book! It might be a little weird but if all books had to be under stood perfectly people would'nt have to think and if that was so what would be the point in reading!
I read this book when I was 12 and I am ready to read it again! Any one reading this should know that it is not good to judge a book by its cover, but if you do, this book is awsome! that is just my pursonal opinion, and you are alowed to have yours!

Shane_Zeh_Banderbear said...
I enjoyed The Giver actually. Each time I've read it, I've shed a few tears. It's not an 'escape book', meaning a book that has a snappy, adventerous plot. It's a book of meaning. You have to get in depth with this story to enjoy it.

I liked the book a lot.

Jessica said...
I think your review was well written but I completely dissagree with you. That book was very good.

cutie pie replied...
Mar. 20, 2012 at 12:09 pm :
i agree with you it is.