The Giver by Lois Lowry MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

on Feb. 23 2010 at 7:28 pm
Archer973 BRONZE, Vassalboro, Maine
1 article 1 photo 1 comment

We humans fear the beast within the wolf because we do not understand the beast within ourselves - Gerald Hausman

I think this book, while it might have been slightly predictable at times, sent a strong message. If you read her book The Messenger you will learn more about Jonas. I think this review was very well written however. Nice job.

on Feb. 23 2010 at 4:17 pm
MusicIsMyLove SILVER, Streamwood, Illinois

♫♪♫Music is my escape ♥

I disagree 100% with this review. I read this book when I was in 7th grade and absolutely fell in love with it. It compelled me to read on to the next two books that tie in with this one and I absolutely loved it. I wished that there was more to this interesting story; Lois Lowry is an amazing author to all.

on Feb. 23 2010 at 10:33 am
sunnyhunny PLATINUM, Litchfield, New Hampshire

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
-Ghandi

I think that this book is amazing. It was disturbing, but I disagree that it was a waste of time. It was deep and a warning to our society. i like the fact that the book was cryptically written, becasue Lois Lowry leaves it up to the reader to figure things out. It isn't too hard as long as you are attentive through the whole thing. The only part I was frustrated with is the ending becasue it leaves it to your own interpertation.

on Feb. 23 2010 at 10:20 am
Olderatheart GOLD, Valley Stream, New York

"Its our choices that show who we are, far more than our abilities"- HP

I disagree completley

this book was deep and although crypticly wriitten, was great.

on Feb. 23 2010 at 8:16 am
suavell northern, Bolingbrook, Illinois
this was the best book i ever read great writing great plot all around great book

on Feb. 23 2010 at 6:20 am
homewardbound, Billerica, Massachusetts
they are making a movie for this soon. I didn't like this book either and I thought it was almost disturbing. I too had to read it for school.

zoomboomfly said...
on Feb. 21 2010 at 11:23 am
I really liked this book. I didn't like the ending, but the rest of the book was really well written and captivating

on Feb. 18 2010 at 5:21 pm
juicyfan6 BRONZE, Mount Laurel, New Jersey

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good." - J.K. Rowling

I read this book awhile ago for school. I liked it; it had great movie potential.

on Feb. 15 2010 at 7:12 am
manga_maniac SILVER, Bloomington, Indiana
me too! but i thought the giver was best

on Feb. 15 2010 at 7:11 am
i thoght the book was great. i liked the ending though it might bother some who want and ending that tells exactly what happens. nice writing though!

on Feb. 14 2010 at 8:49 pm
adristar96 SILVER, Miami, Florida

Life is like a box of chocolate, You'll never know what your gonna get. :) Forest Gump

In a way i disagree with you. I read it and thought it was very decent and well written. But in some parts were confusing. other than that, it was good.

on Feb. 12 2010 at 10:21 pm
I have to disagree with this review. In my opinion, I thought the giver was a fairly decent book. Even though some of the book was predictable, I still believe it was great book because of the strong message given off by this book.

nbmssi said...
on Feb. 8 2010 at 10:31 am
i loved this book.... it actually made you think just like the rest of her books.

on Feb. 5 2010 at 10:12 am
SaraRoxsHerSox SILVER, McVeytown, Pennsylvania

"Brochacho!"

Yep, I agree with you

on Feb. 5 2010 at 10:11 am

"Brochacho!"

I completely agree with you.

on Feb. 5 2010 at 10:10 am

"Brochacho!"

I respectfully disagree with this article. I love this book adn have read it many times.

on Feb. 4 2010 at 9:42 am
Shel-Bells SILVER, Middletown, Delaware

When nothing goes right , go left (:

The Giver Has changed the way I see the world. Once you read it you begin to think differently about this world and your community. Its a great read with twist & turns!

on Jan. 29 2010 at 3:58 pm
AspiringAuthorAnonymous BRONZE, Lititz, Pennsylvania

"I cannot live without books" - Thomas Jefferson

I personally love the giver and have read it three times. Try number the stars, it good too!!!

kagoma BRONZE said...
on Jan. 20 2010 at 8:49 pm
kagoma BRONZE, Miami, Florida

shoot for the moon, even if you miss you will land among the stars

The reason I found the book “The Giver” so interesting because they described a society with people who were living a seemingly perfect life. The job of the Giver was to take on the burdens of the people within the village. The Giver was the only one who felt pain, happiness, and compassion. In other words he was the only person in the village who really endured feeling. I felt the plot was magnificent and that the book was very well written. However like you have already stated, that’s just my opinion, and you're entitled to yours.

on Jan. 18 2010 at 6:12 pm
DeadlyPoppy PLATINUM, Chehalis, Washington

"Is mayonnaise an instrument?" -Patrick, Spongebob Squarepants

As far as I could tell, the book was about how even a "perfect society" wouldn't work properly. How what was supposed to be perfect only worked well because they kept secrets from the people and took away their free will. It was a good plot, as I said, and the message was inspiring, but like I said, the writing didn't flow at all. That's just my opinion, and you're entitled to yours.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!