The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

littlebird said...
Ok im not going to say i liked the book because i didn't but Jonas does NOT leave everything for the child. He left to give memory, joy, feelings, color, personality, and identity back to the citizens and return it back to the way it was before samness. Yes, he took the kid with him because he would've gotten released but that is not the real reason. It was just a more reason to go.

brownie replied...
Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:44 am :
Ok yes i agree with you littlebird but you at least have gotta liked it a little bit and ya he did nothing for the kid but at least he took the kid so he wouldnt have gotten released and also i loved the book im not trying to be ruied or enything but we all have our opinions so thats my opinion so ya well if you have any opinions for me just find me on the top of every opinion kk!!!!!!!!Brownie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ohmakemeover This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I actually loved this book.  I thought it was very original and emotional, but we all have our opinions.

cookie replied...
Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:22 am :
ya i agree with u melinda i mean my thought or opinion was that the town was phsyco and that the reciver of memory was just going to stick with his job!!!!! Love cookie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):):):):)

Melinda M. said...
Apr. 3, 2011 at 1:45 am:
I think that there are mixed feelings about this book, as the previous comments show! Lois Lowry has an interesting way of going about this topic. I thought that the book was a little bit bland, but thenI tried to imagine not having the things that the Giver shows Jonas. What would it really be like to live in an environment without any colors? Or no sunshine?

BelleVie11 said...
Mar. 26, 2011 at 11:30 am:
When I first read this novel, I was offended that the characters were completely unaware of the reality that surrounded them. I almost gave up reading it, that is how mad I got. But, I do not like to leave a book unread. So, I bared through it and I actually thoroughly enjoyed it. I love the dynamics and the detail. THe imagry was fantastic. But, I do not say you are wrong. For who are we to degrade a perspective? We all have our own.

ElizabethW. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 26, 2011 at 12:39 am:

I really have to disagree.  I found this book fascinating and refreshingly original.  But then, I guess it's all just a matter of opinion.

What kind of books do you like?  I just finished The Last Child by John Hart, and am completely addicted - he is currently my favorite author.

Becca17 said...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 2:06 pm:
I suppose you have some good points on why you disagree with the novel. In fact when I finished reading it, I at first felt the same. But then I started looking back into behind the text and became a bit frightened at the possibility that maybe Lois Lowry's fictional depiction of what might happen in the future could in fact turn out well...nonfiction. :/

Aderes18 said...
Mar. 23, 2011 at 3:24 pm:
What? This book is great and interesting. It's also very scary!

WalkingAlone9713This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 22, 2011 at 7:11 pm:

I honestly have to dissagree. I read the book in class, and everyone wanted to keep on reading it untill we were done. We were all hooked in by the first chapter or so. And with the ending, everyone had their own opinion about how it might go on.

But, I do agree by your statment, "... but you can't judge a book by it's cover." Though, they way you ment it was different. I thought the book was about an old man, and class was going to be as boring as ever. But I, personaly, was prov... (more »)

The Giver SUCKS 093 said...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 1:12 pm:
I hate this book so much. I am reading it at school and it freaking sucks. GOD it is so boring. I have to answer 80 questions about the book. I am in school right now. WAS THIS AUTHOR HIGH WHEN SHE WROTE THIS!!!!!!!

awesomeaugustThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 26, 2011 at 12:48 pm :
Hahaha i can't say I haven't felt that way about one or two books that I've had to read in school, but I do think that' s a little harsh. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, so I won't say that you're wrong or that the author of this review is wrong, but books don't get Newbury Medals or become classics because they suck. Though there are cons (as there are to all books), The Giver deserves some credit for its complete originality. Even if you think you could write something better,... (more »)

ExpRESsY0uRselF replied...
Jun. 8, 2011 at 8:51 pm :
I disagree with "The Giver SUCKS 093." Even though you are entitled to your opinion, please do not speak of lois Lowry in such a demeaning way. I happen to think the Giver was an amazing book. Please respect that.

Lilies said...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 2:46 pm:
wow. i actually really liked this book. just goes to show how much opinions differ.

drmstarlet21 said...
Mar. 4, 2011 at 9:10 pm:
I agree that this person didn't say why it was bad with much clarity. I read it in middle school in English class and my whole grade hated it, as does most of my school. It's been years, so I don't remember now why I didn't like it, just that I didn't. However, if you think The Giver is bad, try reading A Separate Peace. Now there's a horrible "classic"

Emiline! ^-^ replied...
Mar. 4, 2011 at 11:11 pm :
A Separate Piece? I started that last year (because it was on my classroom shelf), thinking it would be good, and then gave up after page 7 because the guy was just wandering around doing nothing. :(

drmstarlet21 replied...
Mar. 5, 2011 at 10:01 am :
My English class read A Separate Peace earlier this year, except no one finished the book. I stopped at like page 20. Our essays at the end of the unit were ALL on why it should be removed from the curriculum, at our teacher's suggestion :)

Emiline! ^-^ replied...
Mar. 6, 2011 at 12:08 pm :
Haha, you're lucky, we read An Enemy of the People last year (it was a play), and everyone was saying it should be removed. Only we couldn't write essays on it, because it was the writing teacher's favorite book. :)

drmstarlet21 replied...
Mar. 6, 2011 at 1:04 pm :

Haha nice, what is that about? I've never heard of it.

And my English teacher is all about creative project ideas. We're starting our projects for Macbeth right now, and everyone had to come up with their own. Mine is a literary magazine. I am writing little pieces and saying they are "by" a few of the characters. I wonder where I got *that* idea...thank you, Teen Ink!

the_critic_is_in said...
Mar. 4, 2011 at 8:19 pm:
I've never read this book, but I can't really tell whether it's good or bad because you never really gave a reason as to why the book was subpar. You can't just say that it was the worst book ever because it was mediocre and it was mediocre because it was the worst book ever. I appreciate your opinion though. :)