The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

katy said...
it was good you should read it!

writerthinkerdreamer replied...
Apr. 29, 2011 at 9:17 pm :
This book was amazing... it's like my sixth fave book of all time, besides to kill a mockingbird.

ExpRESsY0uRselFThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 8, 2011 at 8:48 pm :
OMG LOOOVE LOVE LOVE TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD!

Harrypotterlover said...
I had to read this book for school. I think it is a pretty interesting book. I think that you have to understand the book and what it is about. If you don't understand it you are not going to like it. I am not saying that the person that wrote this review didn't understand it and maybe they truly didn't like it but I don't think that it is that bad to tell people not to read it. You have to put yourself into Jonas' shoes and you have to try to visualize the characters and what is actually going ... (more »)

brownie said...
Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:55 am:
hey hey people so i love this book so ya ut ill put more info later kk bye

cookie said...
Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:14 am:
Hey also i love this book cuz it has some wierd parts but hey who doesnt like wierd? So all im saying is u got 2 read it!!!!!:):):):):) Love cookie!!!!

cookie said...
Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:07 am:
Hey i love this book but if you never heardof it or read it you should cuz every1 i know LOVES it

taylorswift11601 said...
Apr. 22, 2011 at 9:01 am:
The Giver was one of the best books I have ever read. I will admit that it had some boring parts but other than that it was awesome

Jun. 8, 2011 at 8:49 pm :
Agreed  

highflyer101 said...
I think that the Giver can be boring when you're reading it on your own, but in a real class, there are actually lots f interesting hidden metaphors that are worth deciphering! I hope you read some other book you liked, though!

cookie replied...
Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:17 am :
hey wat school do u go 2 and ya it more fun if your reading with some 1 or even in school so ya and if you wantto look meh up just go to the top of the comments k im cookie!!!!!!!:):):):) Love cookie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ShannonLaDieuThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Even thought the book is really slow at the start. It really dose improve throught out the book. I liked how ms.Lowry kept us wondering what was goin on. Once I started this book I couldnt put it down.

KaitlynCallahan said...
I feel the same way, I thought the book was not the best and expected much more from it. But a lot of the time in the book it was enjoyable to read and had it's deal of suspense. It could go either way for me, but I really enjoyed reading your article! 

xXsharellieXx said...
Apr. 17, 2011 at 8:18 am:
This seems really weird to me, because I loved this book and thought it was, maybe one of the BEST things I have ever read. I understand that you are just being honest to your thoughts on the book but you should really consider reading it again. I think the fact that you didn't like it clouded your judgment, just a little.

littlebird said...
Ok im not going to say i liked the book because i didn't but Jonas does NOT leave everything for the child. He left to give memory, joy, feelings, color, personality, and identity back to the citizens and return it back to the way it was before samness. Yes, he took the kid with him because he would've gotten released but that is not the real reason. It was just a more reason to go.

brownie replied...
Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:44 am :
Ok yes i agree with you littlebird but you at least have gotta liked it a little bit and ya he did nothing for the kid but at least he took the kid so he wouldnt have gotten released and also i loved the book im not trying to be ruied or enything but we all have our opinions so thats my opinion so ya well if you have any opinions for me just find me on the top of every opinion kk!!!!!!!!Brownie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ohmakemeover This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I actually loved this book.  I thought it was very original and emotional, but we all have our opinions.

cookie replied...
Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:22 am :
ya i agree with u melinda i mean my thought or opinion was that the town was phsyco and that the reciver of memory was just going to stick with his job!!!!! Love cookie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):):):):):):)

Melinda M. said...
Apr. 3, 2011 at 1:45 am:
I think that there are mixed feelings about this book, as the previous comments show! Lois Lowry has an interesting way of going about this topic. I thought that the book was a little bit bland, but thenI tried to imagine not having the things that the Giver shows Jonas. What would it really be like to live in an environment without any colors? Or no sunshine?

BelleVie11 said...
Mar. 26, 2011 at 11:30 am:
When I first read this novel, I was offended that the characters were completely unaware of the reality that surrounded them. I almost gave up reading it, that is how mad I got. But, I do not like to leave a book unread. So, I bared through it and I actually thoroughly enjoyed it. I love the dynamics and the detail. THe imagry was fantastic. But, I do not say you are wrong. For who are we to degrade a perspective? We all have our own.