The Giver by Lois Lowry This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Fangstorm_The_Vampire said...
I loved this book! It was not predictable, and it was pleasant and meaningful.

Alyssalicious replied...
I agree! It was a good introduction for me into classic literature for an eighth grade Honors English class. I didn't appreciate it when I was younger, but now that I understand the symbolism and political connections, it was a really good book, even though the ending was short.

Fangstorm_The_Vampire replied...
Jun. 1, 2011 at 11:55 am
Yeah I read this when I was ten. It is a great book, and now I am twelve, and still appreciate it.

BandGeek replied...
Jun. 2, 2011 at 11:51 am
I loved this book too! And I read it about three years ago! I'm thinking about reading it again now....:)

andieyupThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I just don't think you're mature enough understand the political symbolizm and the surreal beauty of it all. This is a heavy book. It's not at all predictable, and it completely genius and thought-provoking. 

glinda123 said...
May 20, 2011 at 11:29 am
I loved this book! It is somewhat depressing, but shows that human nature will remain the same even when conditions are bad. The article would have been more effective if you had given reasons why you didn't like it, instead of just repeating yourself that it was terrible, you didn't like it, etc.

BeDifrnt replied...
i agree. We read it for our literature class and we were left a little confused at the end. But it was really good. (:

KitKat94 said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I know that it is an unpopular opinion (even among people that like the book), but I thought the ending was necessary.  In a sense it was the way that the book had to end.  The real merit behind the book is that is makes you think.

I can see how some people could just not like it, that is okay; some of the better stories in the world are the more controversial ones.  Dystopia books can often throw people for a loop.  It is ... (more »)

ExpRESsY0uRselF replied...
As for where Jonas went, read Gathering Blue. It kinda answers that question.

RiverSong replied...
Jun. 22, 2011 at 10:45 am
And after reading Gathering Blue, read The Messenger.  It explains what happened to Jonas even further.  I happen to love all three of the books.

SElisabeth said...
May 9, 2011 at 11:32 am
Uh, this book was amazing, in my opinion. Sure, the ending left me a little confused, but overall, I thought it was fantastically creative.

jamikim replied...
i thought the same. the whole point in the ending of this book is to make up your own ending. you have to chose weater he dies, finds a new town that celbrated christmas, or he went in a circle and thats what happened when the memories returned. of corse, i read it in my class so the teacher explained the book. i think it was a good book.

Costa replied...
I agree. We read this for English in 8th grade and we had to do a project fo it. I decided to write another chapter explaining what happened to Jonas and Gabriel

katy said...
it was good you should read it!

writerthinkerdreamer replied...
This book was amazing... it's like my sixth fave book of all time, besides to kill a mockingbird.

ExpRESsY0uRselF replied...
OMG LOOOVE LOVE LOVE TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD!

Harrypotterlover said...
I had to read this book for school. I think it is a pretty interesting book. I think that you have to understand the book and what it is about. If you don't understand it you are not going to like it. I am not saying that the person that wrote this review didn't understand it and maybe they truly didn't like it but I don't think that it is that bad to tell people not to read it. You have to put yourself into Jonas' shoes and you have to try to visualize the characters and what is actually going ... (more »)

brownie said...
Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:55 am
hey hey people so i love this book so ya ut ill put more info later kk bye

cookie said...
Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:14 am
Hey also i love this book cuz it has some wierd parts but hey who doesnt like wierd? So all im saying is u got 2 read it!!!!!:):):):):) Love cookie!!!!

cookie said...
Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:07 am
Hey i love this book but if you never heardof it or read it you should cuz every1 i know LOVES it