Twilight by Stephenie Meyer MAG

By Katey Tilney, San Jose, CA

I was never in love with vampires until Twilight came out. I didn’t know it was possible, but Stephenie Meyer changed the stereotypical blood-sucking vampire into a beautiful god-like creature.

In Twilight, an average high school girl, Bella Swan, falls in love with one of the most beautiful boys at her new school, Edward, who happens to be a vampire. What does one call a stunning, mysterious vampire and his stunning, mysterious vampire family? I believe “The Cullens” would suffice.

The author’s style and characters will glue your hands to the book and your eyes to the page. In no time, the book is over. But don’t worry – there are three sequels: New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn.

Twilight is well written from Bella’s point of view. It feels as though a movie is playing in your head. If you don’t feel that way, have no fear, the actual movie comes out November 21.

Twilight is such a magnificent book that it was a New York Times bestseller. Who would have thought that the idea for such an astonishing book could come from a dream the author had?

The theme is love conquers all, even the supernatural. Nothing stands in the way of love for Edward and Bella. Or does it?

Meyer’s style of writing will have you wanting to believe that there are gorgeous vampires roaming our world and just hopefully there will be Edwards for all of the girls who have fallen in love with this fictional yet breathtaking character. Since the characters’ love is forbidden, it only makes it better. ­After all, forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest.

Anne said...
on Sep. 21 2014 at 10:30 pm
I have read a couple of your reviews and loved them! I am always looking for new material to read. Please check out some of my reviews (and my friends) here at www.anythingteenreviews.weebly.com. Thanks <3

on Jul. 17 2014 at 3:18 am
PenOnParchment BRONZE, Chino Hills, California

"What is literature
but the illumination of that which I would write?" -Rider Strong

This article itself was wonderful and definitely made me interested in the book itself! However, when I actually got arond to reading the book I wasn't nearly as impressed. Though your article does correctly highlight parts of the book, such as the way she writes rather descriptively and puts a new spin on vampires, I have to disagree about how great the book was. It wasn't all that well written, the story wasn't always explained all that well, and the characters tended to be weak or somewhat too perfect. Bella, in particular, had little to no personality and a rather dull look on life. Still, your review itself was well written and deifinitely convinced me to read the book! It might have just not been my cup of tea...

on Jun. 24 2014 at 3:00 pm
Angie_24 BRONZE, Venetia, Pennsylvania

"It is easy to forget how full the world is of people, full to bursting, and each of them imaginable and consistently misimagined."
- John Green

Although I wasn't a big fan of the books or movies, I did kind of like the message behind them: that true love will triumph in the end.  And to quote the wonderful John Green, if this is a lie, then it is the most beautiful lie we have.  Also, I like that you noted that this book was kind of the first of it's kind; before, vampires were viewed as bloodsucking monsters - Stephanie Meyers romanticized them, turning them into empathetic beasts capable of love.  It was really the first of many vampire romance books.  Maybe that's why they're so popular.

Alpona SILVER said...
on May. 10 2014 at 12:50 am
Alpona SILVER, Mumbai, Other
Yeah, your review is certainly great...... and so is the book!:P  

on Mar. 6 2014 at 6:24 am
MargaretNorman GOLD, Indianpoils, Indiana

I WILL BY FAITH EVEN WHEN I CAN NOT SEE BECAUSE THIS BROKEN ROAD PREPARES YOUR WILL FOR ME. - JEREMY CAMP

"FROM DUSK TILL DAWN BEWARE NIGHTS CALL, FOR NIGHTMARES RISE AS SHADOWS FALL."

sorry for the missspelling my bad

on Mar. 6 2014 at 6:23 am

you do know the book is FICTION of course it's redicules i cant stand twilight eaither but she is a great writer with a strong imagination and skills i willingly admit that she inspired me to be a writer.

on Feb. 21 2014 at 10:29 am
micshea99 PLATINUM, Matthews, North Carolina
I disagree. I feel that the book was very well written, especially considering that Stephenie never trained in the writing profession. She was the person who really invented the "modern" vampires, creating many creative oppertunities for other writers. I can see how people don't respond well to this story because, throughout the first three books, Bella is weak and depends on the "stronger" vampires (especially the males) to protect her. But, in the last book, Bella finds herself and ends up fighting for her child and all the people that once protected her. The Twilight series, in a way, was a coming of age story, and I don't think people stepped back to see that. (:

on Feb. 6 2014 at 5:41 pm
itskatomall PLATINUM, Orlando, Florida

"How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard." - Winnie the Pooh

I agree. Though this was an excellent review of the book and it could inspire someone to read the series, I did not enjoy the book myself, so I feel that this review is "tricking" people into reading the series. The idea of "sparkling" vampires is just quite ridiculous. But great review!

on Sep. 4 2013 at 6:22 pm
iDragonfly SILVER, Blair, Minnesota
double agree

Mandy22 GOLD said...
on Jul. 24 2013 at 7:29 am
Mandy22 GOLD, Apollo, Pennsylvania

"True love will triumph in the end - which may or may not be a lie, but if it is a lie, then it's the most beautiful lie we have."

I would totally read Twilight just from reading this review. it was great!

on Jun. 30 2013 at 9:45 am
Luckystar78 ELITE, London, Other

"..though warm as summer it was fresh as spring." (Thomas Hardy) ("Far from the Madding crowd")

This article does a very good job of promoting the series - but not even effective propaganda can save these terrible books!                                                                           As soon as Bella fell in love with Edward, her personality vanished. And Edward was a control freak and anyone who thinks that love is healthy can't have good relationships. The ending was false and they didn't even have a fight in the end! It was totally unrealistic, and the writing was awful.  

squeakers said...
on Jun. 5 2013 at 1:20 pm
I liked vampires and the others monsters away before twilight. And i like meyer's work just stick to the known facts about vampires next time. FYI vampires were ugly back then but Dracula still had admirers.

on May. 24 2013 at 10:38 pm
chikadestiny BRONZE, Bronx, New York
I read the host so I love how Stephanie Meyer uses some concepts from twilight in the book. I found it interesting to compare how she continued to talk about.beauty and eyes in both books as well as create a love triangle and still maintain the major characters personality.   Chikadestiny  

TheEcho said...
on May. 14 2013 at 2:23 pm
TheEcho, Cary, North Carolina

Poetry is when an emotion has found its thought and the thought has found words. -- Robert Frost

Great review, however I think the most appealing aspect of the books is the story, not the writing. I wish the writing was better, but I do enjoy the books as a whole.

on Apr. 24 2013 at 10:55 am
TheHalf-BloodPrincess, Pleasant Hill, California
Good review, but that doesn't convince me. I've read the books myself. But you still might be able to persuade someone to spend a lot of money and buy the series, but they'll probably not thank you for it.

on Apr. 8 2013 at 6:15 pm
estucker1998 PLATINUM, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

The voracious ambition of humans is never sated by dreams coming true, because of the thought that everything may be done better and again. --John Green, The Fault in Our Stars.

Buying the Twilight series was the worst $30 I ever spent. I know that will probably offend a lot of people, and for that I am sorry but its true. Anyone with half a brain that knows good literature when they read it will despise the Tilight series as I do. Her writing is AWEFUL! Granted, if you want to read a semi-passable love story and you don't care about writing or plot holes or unrealistic reactions to normal things, go right ahead. Be my guest. And I'm not usually someone that hates books. Give me any type of story and a night to read it and, odds are, I'll like it. But not with this. This was terrible. Do yourself a favor, and buy something worth reading.

on Mar. 31 2013 at 4:21 pm
The books were so great, they didnt even realize that they would make horrible movies

Spotted_Leaf said...
on Mar. 7 2013 at 12:45 pm
I agree, im not a big fan of the vampires till it comes to halloween :) i love the werewolves the best. Yes, Bella should have ended up with jacob... but oh well...

on Jan. 19 2013 at 3:21 pm
mckaykay SILVER, Lostant, Illinois

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon.

Im not a fan of the vamps, but the werewolves are pretty awesome...she shouldnt have made the ending so happy tho it wasnt meant to be a pretty fairytale. bella was meant to end up with jacob  

PittsSonja32 said...
on Dec. 8 2012 at 6:53 pm
Don't you recognize that it's high time to receive the home loans, which will realize your dreams.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!