Monster by Walter Dean Myers | Teen Ink

Monster by Walter Dean Myers

By Akcmed BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Akcmed BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

There is a knock at the front door. Mrs. Harmon upon opening it, sees two white police officers filling the entrance. They ask for Steve Harmon, her son. Mrs. Harmon becomes frozen in place. Steve, who hears strange voices, comes to see what the problem is. The police, waste no time, and arrest him for suspected involvement in a local crime. Steve pleads he is innocent however it does not help his cause. He is taken away in handcuffs. From the very first page, this book had me glued to what was going to happen next. Monster, a book by Walter Dean Myers is a great book. I recommend it to anyone how likes suspense, action, and mysteries.

Was Steve involved? He claims he was innocent, however there was a witness at the crime who says he was at the scene. Will this sixteen-year-old boy in jail receive a fair trial or will he go to back to a blank, grey jail cell because he is black? The book is written as if it is a movie. It is definitely a must read book.

The crime scene was a drug store hold up. Steve has left the store just as king and his buddy Bobo arrived. They shot and killed the owner of the store during the robbery. Witnesses remember Steve leaving the store. Will the jury believe his story? Or will the color of his skin convict him even if he is innocent!

In my opinion, it is a very exciting book with strong messages. If you keep getting into trouble, it becomes a habit. In addition, your actions become worse as well as the consequences that follow. Just follow the rules and do not lie. In conclusion, that was what I learned while reading the book.

In conclusion, this book covers a wide range of emotions: Monster, by Walter Dean Myers it is scary, dramatic and heartwarming. No one ever knows what is going to happen next unless you read the book. Keep you on the edge of your seat until the end. You will find your self-praying for the safe release of this boy that society has written off as a monster.