Feed by M.T. Anderson | Teen Ink

Feed by M.T. Anderson

May 28, 2008
By Anonymous

Would you like to be connected to the internet at all times? This may seem like a computer nerd's paradise, but even if technology is your forte, things are taking a turn for the worst in the novel Feed by M.T. Anderson. The majority of the citizens of the modern world have feed chips installed in their brains, allowing them permanent connectivity to the internet, or ‘feed'. However, just as with today's internet, there are problems. Corporations can influence the minds of citizens through the feed, and people are barraged by tailor-made mental pop-up ads based on their preferences and mood. Thanks to the feed, privacy is virtually extinct. The government can freely browse through your memories. Even so, not all the problems in the world of the future are feed related. People from all walks of life have begun breaking out in skin lesions, and people consider them attractive because even movie stars have them. America is not in good standing with the other countries of the world, and pollution is at an all time high.
None of these dilemmas matter to the central character of the story, a boy named Titus, who is vacationing on the moon at the start of the novel. While there, he meets a girl named Violet who got her feed later on in life then usual, because she was home schooled. The two become closer, but Titus' bubble of happiness is abruptly burst when Violets feed begins malfunctioning. Titus feels responsible and stops seeing Violet. He becomes increasingly more aware of the troubles of the world, and at one point describes how he can see his mother's teeth even when her mouth is closed, because she had lost such a large amount of skin.
This novel opens the reader's eyes to a horrible future brought on by technology and pollution. It warns us to stray from the path that our nation is currently following. There are other messages also conveyed by the book, like to cherish the time you have with loved ones. I feel this book should be read by all teens. It shows them how life might end up if they don't stop using technology as a crutch. It also promotes the ideas of not polluting, and taking care of our planet. I thought it was very well written, and I liked how M.T. Anderson created his own slang words to make the verbal conversations between characters seem futuristic, and not just the setting. His satirical style of writing keeps you entertained throughout the novel, although there are some more serious points as well. I would recommend Feed to any fan of Science Fiction, although I would strongly suggest this book to anyone who is concerned about the gradually increasing role technology and computers are playing in our society. There are also elements of romance in this novel, which allows it to appeal to a broader audience.