The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Though I usually prefer science fiction and fantasy, reading The Outsiders was a phenomenal experience. The story line is good, but what sparked my interest is how S. E. Hinton, who was 16 at the time she created this, writes. Everything flows smoothly, and with so much detail. You get to know the characters so well it’s hard to believe the story just covers one week of their lives. This book is extremely hard to put down.

The Outsiders is about a gang of “greasers,” or underprivileged teenagers, living on the east side of Tulsa, Oklahoma. They are constantly under attack from the rich west-side Socs, and have parties and rumbles all the time. The narrator, the orphan Ponyboy Curtis, pretty much knows what to expect from his day - school, track, homework, football at the lot - until one of his friends takes the greaser-Soc battle too far.

From that point, Ponyboy can barely keep track of what is happening. He goes from hopping a train to escape a crime scene to being in the newspaper as a juvenile delinquent hero. Everything seems to move too fast to handle. To find out the whole story, read the book!

If you like symbolism, this novel has plenty, but the main one is to “stay gold.” The book has a strong message of staying young and innocent. It teaches us not to create a shell to block emotions and the importance of friendship. This is one book you definitely will not want to skip.

SallySunshine said...
it was good it could be better

sally sunshine said...
it was good

imsocoolxD said...
Feb. 11, 2009 at 2:48 am
this book was awesome.

im in 7th grade and my teacher made us read it :)

I LOVED IT

its filled with lots of action and drama.

i cant wait to watch the movie

Fong said...
Feb. 3, 2009 at 9:21 am
Thats nice! good job man. I LUV UR REVIEW PLS TEACH ME HOW TO WRITE ONE!!

dellp said...
I loved this book. I remember when my eighth grade english teacher made us read it, it was so hard just to read a chapter or two a day.
I love you review, its exellant!

hyperactivegurl08 said...
This review was amazing! it really can somehow explain what Ponyboy has to go through. It was a really strong review and i am with you guys 100% about how this book is really great and in a way, inspirational.

baby mama said...
Nov. 12, 2008 at 4:02 am
this is the best book in the world. My sis love fo me to read it to her.LOL

jake said...
this was a great interview i personaly loved this book

dannixo93 said...
I think this was a really good review. I read this book a few years ago, and I couldn't have said this better myself. good job!

Katie7 replied...
I've read all of her books, and I thought your book review was very well written, so very well done :)