The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton | Teen Ink

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton MAG

Though I usually prefer science fiction and fantasy, reading The Outsiders was a phenomenal experience. The story line is good, but what sparked my interest is how S. E. Hinton, who was 16 at the time she created this, writes. Everything flows smoothly, and with so much detail. You get to know the characters so well it’s hard to believe the story just covers one week of their lives. This book is extremely hard to put down.

The Outsiders is about a gang of “greasers,” or underprivileged teenagers, living on the east side of Tulsa, Oklahoma. They are constantly under attack from the rich west-side Socs, and have parties and rumbles all the time. The narrator, the orphan Ponyboy Curtis, pretty much knows what to expect from his day - school, track, homework, football at the lot - until one of his friends takes the greaser-Soc battle too far.

From that point, Ponyboy can barely keep track of what is happening. He goes from hopping a train to escape a crime scene to being in the newspaper as a juvenile delinquent hero. Everything seems to move too fast to handle. To find out the whole story, read the book!

If you like symbolism, this novel has plenty, but the main one is to “stay gold.” The book has a strong message of staying young and innocent. It teaches us not to create a shell to block emotions and the importance of friendship. This is one book you definitely will not want to skip.

Nick1 BRONZE said...
Nick1 BRONZE, Vernon Hills, Illinois
Im with you this book was very inspiring and was very well written.

Nick1 BRONZE said...
Nick1 BRONZE, Vernon Hills, Illinois
The book is really good. we read it in class and I still enjoy it. I read the book 3 times and i'm still interested in it.

CammyLashay SILVER, Java, Virginia

Failure is not for me.

i loved this book and to find out an girl who was 14 or 16 at the time written it amazed me

Danielerr_Kidd SILVER, Fontana, California

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning to dance in the rain."

this sory keeps you thinking, it was amazing to read, in 8th grade. i enjoyed it very much.. i would recommend this book to anyine who is looking for a good book to read

on Sep. 2 2010 at 1:28 am
dustybrowneyes BRONZE, East Bethel, Minnesota

I\\\'d like to run away
From you,
But if you didn\\\'t come
And find me ...
I would die.
~ by Shirley Bassey ~

loved it read it 4 school last year and saw the movie. 1 word                     I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E

on Aug. 17 2010 at 6:45 am
ThisBreRulezYouSonnn BRONZE, Wake Forest, North Carolina

Be still, sad heart! and cease repining;
Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
Thy fate is the common fate of all--
Into each life some rain must fall,
some days must be dark and dreary.
--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882)

GREAT book. I was in my Life Skills class and I found it nearby when I was sitting and waiting for class to start... so I decided to borrow it. I read it, and I was SO. HAPPY.

The characters were interesting and lively, the plot was a PLOT, it was spontaneous and thrilling, and it taught me rare, valuable morals that more books should possess.

And Ponyboy is a very good kid--he's got a very good head on his shoulders, he's smart, he's got emotion, and he means well, despite being shaped by living with 'greasers'.

I haven't read such a good book like this in the loooongest times. Thanks, S.E. Hinton :)

jezzyc BRONZE said...
on Aug. 13 2010 at 1:21 am
jezzyc BRONZE, Kamloops, Other

"stay gold Ponyboy... stay gold"

I don't think I've ever been so touched by a book before. I think I've read it maybe...30 times. I just keep goijng back for more <3

sabortooth1 said...
sabortooth1, Logan, Utah
Please read the book review of The Kite Runner (search it). Really Inspiring!

twilight_teen14 GOLD, Moline, Illinois

"And then we continued blissfully into this small, but perfect piece of our forever...." -Bella Cullen- Breaking Dawn.
"Gandhi said that whatever you do in life will be insignificant. But it's very important that you do it."
“Everyone’s stars, don’t get your hopes up, learn the ropes and climb the ladder and know in the end, that just being here is the best and it only gets better.”

The Outsiders is my favorite booK OF ALL TIME! I loved it! "Stay Gold!"

Chilie5678 said...
a girl who dreams come to the real world

wolfie17 said...
on May. 10 2010 at 6:19 am
What is your book about

shortsnort9 said...
shortsnort9, Athens, Alabama

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. -Benjamin Franklin

this book is one of my favourite of all time. i dont know how i survived in the world without it.

Chilie5678 said...
I've read the book five times and had've LOVED it sice the first. I'm also trying to write a book

on Apr. 29 2010 at 8:07 am
sad_toaster_made_of_glass BRONZE, Farmington, West Virginia

Life is like a novel with the end ripped out....and
"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in posession of brains must be in want of more brains." author of Pride And Prejudice And Zombies

That book was amazing! So glad that I was forced to read it! :)  Good Work on the review.

wolfie17 said...
on Apr. 27 2010 at 7:27 am
I was never made to read any of her books. I read them on my own and love all of them. I'm writing a report on her and her writing style. I'm in 11th grade and hope to become an author myself.

Katie7 BRONZE said...
Katie7 BRONZE, Whitney, Texas

Life is like a port-a-potty, you never know what you're going to find.
When life gives you lemons, put them in your sweet tea and thank god your a southern belle.

I've read all of her books, and I thought your book review was very well written, so very well done :)

VarsityRider said...
VarsityRider, Milledgeville, Georgia

"Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice." - W. Shakespeare.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do." - Confucius

I ve read this book over 13 times! I stil cant put it down. Every thing flows and its even got some horsey peices in it. Out of all her books, this one was my favorite. Its the best book you ll ever read.

leader said...
on Jan. 26 2010 at 11:21 am
It's a classic for a reason!

Stina said...
on Jan. 1 2010 at 5:49 am
The Outsiders is one of my favourite books! Like you said the author draws you in and explains in such wonderful detail all the characters that it almost felt real. S.E.Hinton is a great inspiration for young writers since she was just 16 when she wrote the book!

Sallymae said...
The Outsiders is an amazing book!! I love how, even though it was written before our time, we can relate to it. No I don't live in a neighborhood that's like that, but how they feel and how their life goes it just like any teenage kid! Anyone who has not read this book really needs to read it!! It's the best book you'll ver read!! You should read all S.E. Hinton's books! She incredible!!!