The Secret Garden | Teen Ink

The Secret Garden

July 1, 2023
By sharvi_10 SILVER, Aurangabad, Other
sharvi_10 SILVER, Aurangabad, Other
6 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
" The way I see it, if you want the rainbow; you gotta put up with the rain."


Book Review-The Secret Garden

Author- Frances Hodgson Burnett

Published in- 1911

Genre- Fantasy 

Protagonists- Mary Lenox, Colin Craven, Dickon Sowerby, Martha Sowerby, Ben Weatherstaff.

 

SYNOPSIS-  


 The novel centers on ten year old Mary Lenox, who lives in India with her wealthy British family. Frances Hodgson Burnett has poured down in beautiful words, on how nature is exactly where you can find yourself. Mary Lennox, the protagonist of the story; is an unloved, spoiled brat and is often teased by all her cousins. After being shifted to secluded Misselwaithe Manor in Yorkshire, with no one to address her as ‘princess’ or names of the sort, she left on her own to unravel the mystery of the late Mrs. Craven’s secret garden.


Mary finds her friends along the way, and with the smart, nature-loving Dickon Sowerby, she finds her way in life.The same old spoiled, pale, skinny, Mary Lennox, glows in the sunshine and smiles at the beauty of flowers and nurtures them with love and care. With helping out the hunchbacked Colin Craven with Dicken by her side, and finding about the garden, Mary also convinces Mr. Craven about the beauty of the garden, and why his wife loved and nurtured it from the core of her heart.


I highly recommend every young reader to go and get this book! I completely fell in love with literature and all that this book teaches you. .If you want to fall in love with nature, and its beauty; this one’s for you. “ I’m sure there’s magic in everything, only we have not sense enough to get hold of it and make it do things for us.”  As Dicken quotes, and I strongly believe. A heart-felt yet adventurous story. Frances Hodgson Burnett totally took away my heart. Splendid.


The author's comments:

This book completely stole my heart away. I highly recommend it to all the nature and literature lovers out there! Frances Hodgson Burnett deserves a shout-out for this one :)