begging for change | Teen Ink

begging for change

May 18, 2009
By nadira kibria BRONZE, New York, New York
nadira kibria BRONZE, New York, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The book called Begging for Change is about a girl named raspberry and she wants to change her whole life because she has a drug addicted father and she has a troubled girl in her life named Shiketa. She doesn’t want that. Shiketa is a troubled girl because she hit Raspberry’s mom on the head. Her mom got hurt so badly. I felt so bad for her while I was reading. So she had to go to the hospital. While Raspberry’s mom was in the hospital, Raspberry’s mom had told her that she had to stay with Zora. Before they left Zora had to use the bathroom. So she asked Raspberry to hold her purse. Raspberry saw lots of money inside the purse. She wanted to take it. Do you think she will take it? And if she does do you think Zora will find out that she is a stealer? If you want to know read the book and find out. I think Sharen.G.Flake did a great job because the book really shows how the characters are. For example, the title Begging for change tells a lot about the book because Raspberry is having a hard time to live. They don’t say that she is poor. She is begging for a new life.


I think the author wanted us to understand is that the book didn’t say that Raspberry is poor. She is begging for a new life. She is going through tough times. She just wants to be normal girl and she wants to find her way through this situation. She does not want a drug addicted father or a crazy girl in her life. There was one that I really loved. It said “the judge said that Shiketa isn’t going to jail. The judge gave her six months in juvey and a year of community service. Raspberry’s mom said that Shiketa ain’t a bad girl, she just does not have guidance. This sentence was really enjoyable because that sentence shows love. Even though Raspberry’s mom got hurt on the head by Shiketa, she still cares about her. She doesn’t want Shiketa to get punished. It takes only a few pages to get hooked on to this book when I read the first three pages I loved it already. I highly recommend this book to people who might have an experience like Raspberry. I give this book five star.


The author's comments:
this is a really great book