Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

March 29, 2010
By Jenna Kaschinske SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Jenna Kaschinske SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

When I think high school, I think boring teachers, being trapped in windowless rooms, and endless mounds of homework. Pretty much think of the dungeon of hell. But at the end of the day, 10th hour to be exact, all of my thoughts about high school completely diminish. This is all thanks to Mr. Herriot. Mr. Herriot was my American Problems teacher. Social studies isn’t my forte, as I am more of a math and science girl. But somehow Mr. Herriot made American Problems easy for me.

Mr. Herriot, every day, would find some way to make me laugh, whether it was one of his many movie impressions, or just one of his crazy stories. I am a very sarcastic person, and the first thing Mr. Herriot said to our class is he is very sarcastic. Although he had a funny side to him, he also had a serious side. He always made sure no matter how much fun we were having in class, we would always be on topic, and always learning.

In all the other social studies classes I have had, we stared at books, and hand outs, reading for the whole hour and trying to answer 20 questions before the bell. But Mr. Herriot tired to incorporate as much interactions with us as possible. If he really wanted us to remember something, he would draw a picture on the White Board. Granted, they weren’t good pictures, but it’s what helped us remember the concept that mattered. When we had to learn about the Far Right and Far Left, there was a quiz we took every Friday. You had to take this quiz every Friday until you got a 100 percent on it. That to me just shows the dedication, and how he really wanted us to understand.

Mr. Herriot should be voted teacher of the month simply because he knows what it is like to be a teenager, he can relate to us and actually shows understanding.