Grease | Teen Ink

Grease MAG

Imagine going to Broadway to see a musical, and as you walk into the Eugene O'Neill Theater you witness a live D.J. playing '50s music. Next, this D.J., Vince Fontaine, is dancing with you and the rest of the audience and calling everyone on stage to dance. This is reality at the Broadway musical, Grease.

The musical was created in 1970 by Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey. At the time the two were actors who wrote the song Beauty School Dropout, which appears in Grease, and was how Grease was written. In 1971, Grease appeared as a five-hour musical and later was reduced to three hours. In 1972, Grease opened on Broadway with cast members Patrick Swayze and Richard Gere. In 1978, Grease became a movie starring John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John. The musical went off Broadway for a while, but returned in 1994.

After having seen it, I can truly say that it was one of the best experiences I have ever had. The actors, songs, and costumes were great. Ricky Paul Golden portrayed a great Danny Zucko, leader of the Burger Palace Boys and rebel without a cause. Brooke Shields was awesome as Rizzo, although I felt she would be bad; Susan Wood was the perfect Sandy Dumbrowski, a little miss innocent. Each character was perfectly cast.

The actors continually involved the audience in the show. Vince Fontaine, the D.J., held a dance contest for the audience at the beginning and supplied music for those of us who arrived early. Miss Lynch, the principal, gave out tardy passes to audience members who showed up late. Danny Zucko pulled a girl out of the audience to dance with him, and at the end pulled her on stage to take a bow and give her a T-shirt. This really gave the musical a positive feeling and made the audience have a great time.

All in all, Grease was the best show I have ever seen, with the greatest actors, songs, and scenery. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who would like to see a great show and have a great time. .