A Midwife's Tale | Teen Ink

A Midwife's Tale MAG

By Anonymous

   Laurel Thatcher Ulrich's A Midwife's Tale is a winner of the Pulitzer Prize, the Bancroft Prize, and the Joan Kelly and John H. Dunning Prizes of the American Historical Association.

The format of the book was very interesting. At the beginning of each chapter are actual diary entries of Martha Ballard, and after the diary entries, Laurel Thatcher Ulrich writes about Martha Ballard and her town. It is like a biography and an autobiography rolled up in one.

Martha Ballard is a healer and midwife who lived in Hallowell, Maine. Her diary entries tell about her daily life, including her work as a medical practitioner, her relationship with her husband, and her point-of-view about politics, court cases, and events that happen around her. Laurel Thatcher Ulrich covers every aspect of Martha's life with detailed descriptions. The book goes beyond Martha Ballard's diary. A Midwife's Tale also tells about Hallowell, too. The author has done a lot of research, and facts about the town were bountiful.

A Midwife's Tale is a fascinating book that unravels a lot. I would definitely recommend it to anyone that is interested in reading about women's history