The constant onlooker This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

I know an old man who lives down the lane
With a wrinkled, old face and a thin, wooden cane
From time to another, will waver an inch
But never is he known to rise from his bench

His face a still surface and a window for his eye
Content to be the witness of the world gliding by
As it croons its happy-sad, slow melody to him
A mind gently swaying to the never-ending rhythm

The fellow sits there all the morning to watch the dawn of day
Our sun is climbing through its realm to find its daily stay
Dabbed, the old man’s feet, by diamond drops of dew
On the face of all around the lane is brushed a brighter hue
Creatures, every breed, deliver their new-day song
A happy heart frolics with them all along
Persons stir from in their homes; call down the lane to say
“Good morning!’ to the one who always sees the dawn of day

He sits there all the afternoon to watch the noontime of day
Colors flit ‘round and ‘round to brightly lead the eyes astray
A hand of warmth envelops him throughout the lengthy hours
He sups the sun with budding leaves and blooming flowers
Blithe butterflies flutter; the aged trees creak and sway
A smile in the air when the children come to play
Majestic clouds bow low to him, only to swirl away
Bow low to the one who always sees the heart of day

He sits there all the evening to watch the close of day
Through windows of homes, to glimpse the folks that pray
But darkness crawls across the sky, keeps the light at bay
Lonely silence lingers when Day’s last sparks die away
Save a twinkle from dark depths; the stars have come to stay!
Light, darkness, silence, sound- skipping hand in hand
Beautifully joyous in the dusk-to-dawn band
A worn face in the shadows observes the array
The face of the one who always sees the close of day

Everyday

And feels Spring’s lively cheers
And Winter wielding chilly tears
And Summer with its golden grin
And Autumn with its crispy skin

The world so heartily embraced
By the wrinkled, old man
Who sits on a bench
And lives down the lane

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 20 at 5:32 am:
You've just made my love for poetry in general get multiplied by ten thousand knowing that there are suc amazing composings out there just waiting to be unleashed and to race back and forth in my head.

Mar. 20 at 5:27 am:
You know when I first found out about Teenink, which was only 2 months and 8 days ago to be exact, I mostly wanted to share my stuff with this whole new world that had opened up to me, then I started to take some quality time out for reading all the wonderful stuff people put on here,..and one day I stumbled upon one of your pieces, I was blown away! You're like SO SO good at this, really if you ever do publish a book PLLLEEAASE let me know. I'd definitey want to get it instantly.  ... (more »)

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
yesterday at 4:06 pm :
Hmm, I really know what you mean about first getting on to Teenink--at the start, I doubt that anyone really wants to read everyone else's work as much as they want everyone else to read their own. But I, personally, don't think I would have grown as much as a writer had I not read all of the poems and essays and stories which other kids have posted up here. So I admire you for taking that initiative so soon into your Teenink career. I stopped going on Teenink a while ago, but I&#... (more »)

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
yesterday at 10:52 pm :
It made me smile the way you said "TeenInk career"...I really don't know if I'll ever be half as good as that, I just write my heart out and try to see if other people think my heart is worth being paid attention to or delicately handled or just roughly cast aside... AND believe me, you truly do deserve all this. Despite me crying for the fact that it isn't much to say, you think I've given you kind words and I'm happy that I made someone else happy but really it ... (more »)

yesterday at 11:03 pm :
"The Little Things That Matter", "Life Is To Live" "A Poetess, I?" Maybe only three are enough......besides you can see them if you have some time and then if you like them, pick whatever random title looks interesting and read it. I'd consider myself really fortunate.... Thank You, Raven.

yesterday at 11:04 pm :
And I didn't really expect you to actually reply because I'd read around TeenInk that you'd left. All I hoped for was that you might read it and it might bring a smile to your face. I'm so so glad that you actually came back on just to reply to me. Thank You.

yesterday at 11:10 pm :
God, Look at all my typos.

RedFeatherThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 7, 2012 at 7:50 am:
Seeing that this is your earliest poem, I had expected it to fall short of the more recent posts of yours, but it didn't. Besides the last stanza, where your rhyming pattern stopped and the words forgot to sound the same, it was just as good as some of your other poems.

The Silent Raven replied...
Jan. 21, 2012 at 1:31 pm :
Many thanks, for this compliment and all the others. You are more wonderful than you know to leave me with memories of your poetic and insightful words.

leafyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Despite my perversion to long-lined poetry, I seem not to get enough of this. Despite that this is one of your earlier poems, it is still amazing. Again, job well done, Raven.

Aderes18This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is the poem that reminds me of The Green Mile, they both have that timelessness, that no matter what happens, it stands still in time. That movie has that effect and so does this poem too!

Aug. 14, 2011 at 7:17 pm :
Oh, a wonderful compliment. I very much agree, The Green Mile has such timelessness, that it is almost a little tragic (at least, tragic for Tom Hanks).

savetheplanetThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 15, 2011 at 12:51 pm :

Aderes:

There!  That's where, I remember you commented on one of my poems and said it was like The Green Mile and you couldn't remember where you'd said it before.

Aderes18This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 15, 2011 at 2:05 pm :

Yeah.

I actually went back to see Raven's poems(which one I thought reminded me of The Green Mile) and it turned out to be the first one! :)

Jul. 23, 2011 at 2:15 am:

Another fabulous poem. :)

Shame on Teen Ink for not publishing you and other talented authors. I think it depends on the time you put in it.

Jul. 23, 2011 at 10:55 am :

Many thanks. This is the first poem I ever wrote.

I am one of many, including you it seems, who is often bewildered by the choice of poems in the magazine.

IamtheStargirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

Favorited :)

The flow is elegant, and the rhymes are so un-stiff. Lucky. I love your work, and I'm sure you will go to great heights.

Shame on Teenink for not publishing any of your work.

Sept. 20, 2010 at 5:09 pm :
I thank you dearly Ms. Stargirl. Alas, I believe Teenink is run by one who is biased against people named after quiet birds. There are many great authors whose work I have read, but have not published. Yours is included, of course. :)

IamtheStargirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sept. 20, 2010 at 6:18 pm :

Haha, you hvae such a quiet sense of humor. You remind me of one of my friends. Oh, and thanks :)

Think you could publish a book of poetry? I would buy it.

A_shy_dove replied...
Oct. 6, 2010 at 10:19 am :

Oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are a gifted writer. I enjoyed each word of your work thoroughly.