In Memory’s Light | Teen Ink

In Memory’s Light

April 8, 2024
By polinaperin DIAMOND, Espluegues De Llobregat, Other
polinaperin DIAMOND, Espluegues De Llobregat, Other
79 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.


In shadowed hallows of my heart, you dwell, A specter of silence, in lost whispers’ swell. We danced in sunbeams, through childhood's gleam, Your laughter, a beacon, a vanishing dream.

Upon a steel steed, you showed me the skies, With each fall and rise, a bond that ties. Numbers and tales, by the firelight’s embrace, In your absence, echoes fill the empty space.

To school gates you walked me, a journey’s start, Then fate’s cruel hand tore our world apart. I came home to silence, to a truth so stark, Your light extinguished, left us in the dark.

Driven by your memory, I chased the dawn, To realms of knowledge, where your dreams are drawn. Yet, in crowded halls, your absence is my shadow, A hollow ache, a heart’s fallow meadow.

For in seeking you in my every stride, I found but the void where my hopes reside. Your guidance a compass, I seek in vain, For without your north, I drift, untethered, in pain.


The author's comments:

This sonnet delves into the emotional turmoil of losing a father at a young age, illustrating how the guiding light of a loved one lost can turn into a haunting quest for direction and meaning.