In Memory’s Light | Teen Ink

In Memory’s Light

By polinaperin DIAMOND, Espluegues De Llobregat, Other
polinaperin DIAMOND, Espluegues De Llobregat, Other

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

In shadowed hallows of my heart, you dwell, A specter of silence, in lost whispers’ swell. We danced in sunbeams, through childhood's gleam, Your laughter, a beacon, a vanishing dream.

Upon a steel steed, you showed me the skies, With each fall and rise, a bond that ties. Numbers and tales, by the firelight’s embrace, In your absence, echoes fill the empty space.

To school gates you walked me, a journey’s start, Then fate’s cruel hand tore our world apart. I came home to silence, to a truth so stark, Your light extinguished, left us in the dark.

Driven by your memory, I chased the dawn, To realms of knowledge, where your dreams are drawn. Yet, in crowded halls, your absence is my shadow, A hollow ache, a heart’s fallow meadow.

For in seeking you in my every stride, I found but the void where my hopes reside. Your guidance a compass, I seek in vain, For without your north, I drift, untethered, in pain.

This sonnet delves into the emotional turmoil of losing a father at a young age, illustrating how the guiding light of a loved one lost can turn into a haunting quest for direction and meaning.