Knowing Nothing of This ’Til Then This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I was younger then, but only by months.
Curiosity settled unbearably throughout my limbs
And I waited
Patiently for you to carry yourself down wooden stairs
Rightleftright – my ear against olive-colored carpet
To make sure that coast was clear
Hands resting on hinge of drawer and pulling
I reached inside, ransacked and shifted through its contents
And uncovered your thoughts in journal form (success)
I remembered then how embarrassment
Burnt my cheeks red
Everything you said when you found the
Monster I had hidden in the sheets beneath my bed
And I recalled your tears
The shape your body took, fetally curled
With your knees against your chest
You wept endlessly.
Fearing flood or revenge
I tossed and turned that night, grasping the fact
That I had failed you and again –
When I opened that leather cover and divulged
Your evenly spaced print to my eyes and that entry
I had watched you record on blue printed lines
Night prior, before dark, before saying
“Sharpen this, please!” in an angry tone
From across the hall and again –
With a clean-cut graphite tip you wrote
“October twenty-second …”
In the uppermost corner and proceeded with
“My Journal, I have never felt so alone …”

Jesse H. said...
Sept. 7, 2010 at 10:25 am

A really great poem. I, myself also sneaked onto my sister's diary once and well, yeah I know how it feels(was never caught though).

Thanks for this piece of writing :)

MeganSeesStarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i cant really understand some of it.. but i get the jist. its deep. good job(:

Natherine said...
i love thiss itss deep. i dont really know what yuhr talking baout but thats why ilike it :) check out my work and giv me some feed bak thankss (:

gaby23 said...
when i read this poem there was almost a fear in each word and the way you can capture that emotion means that you are really talented...! great job, i really admire the work you did

xXForgottenxEmoXx said...
Aug. 16, 2010 at 11:18 am
This is an amazing poem and I love it! I hope to see another one from you that is just as amazing or better!!! :D

Aqua90210 said...
Aug. 16, 2010 at 8:54 am
I though it was  really good

MercedesXO said...

I had to read it twice. But I often find that with some of the more meaningful and complex poetry does that to you:) VERY nice work, and i give you credit for expressing your feelings so freely and admitting that you were wrong and sorry. It was very nice. I can DEFFINITELY relate...my mother read my diaries. I was soooo hurt, so embaressed, felt so betrayed and alone, disgusted and hurt. Journals/diaries are the most private and personal things. I had been collecting diaries since i could wr... (more »)

MercedesXO replied...
i meant "Blistered fingers". typo-my bad. lol

Vanessa L. said...
thats really good......you're an awsome writer Ü

foreverwelsh said...

okay just read a load of comments and i really dont understand why so many people dont get it or think its a novel :S its fab, if u dont get it read it again, thats what i did :D

really well written :)

meganiscooler This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 25, 2010 at 2:18 am
I love this more every time I read it.. (that sounds creepy, sorry.) But it also makes me sad, brings back memories.. I was heartbroken when my sister read my journal.. ugh. Great job, though.

DifferentTeenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

It did take some understanding but it wasn't all that confusing.

All in all, an excellent poem.

Pearlcr said...
Jul. 3, 2010 at 9:45 am
really guud poem....u hav a talent 4 writing...!

FaithSnyder16 said...
Jun. 29, 2010 at 3:00 am
This is really a great poem, the detail almost seemed as if it was a short story of some sort but I did love it. I know what it's like to have a journal read and someone finding something out they never should have known, so it is hard and you did very well capturing that in this poem. Great work. :)

MeganGiselle said...
I had to read this poem twice to understand it, but once I did the poem took on a new meaning. It is absolutely amazing, and those people who said they did not understand it should try reading it again out loud, because it is truly fantastic. 

AllayAlaneLarllyLuu said...
I agree. The poem is amazing, but i didn't quite understand it. Could you explain it for us?

brax34 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 11, 2010 at 11:23 am
im kind of with losing_but_not_lost246 here, it was difficult to keep track of in your head, and the meaning kind of seemed elusive.  You had to think about it for a second to understand it.  It did have really nice depth and rythm, though.

losing_but_not_lost246 said...
I really liked the poem...It was amazingly awesome, but I didn't understand what it was about...But it was a really well written poem and I enjoyed reading it!

SarahJumps replied...
it's about a journal that was stolen and read. Beautiful job. I can relate well. 

losing_but_not_lost246 replied...
oh...okay...I get it now...THANKS! :)