Memories This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

And I remember she wouldn’t wake up.
Her lips were mushed together in a
Horrible shade of red
They buried my mother in a white dress
And red lips.
And she couldn’t see.
Where are your glasses, Mommy?
And still at sixteen I bring them to my face
And peer through the distorted murky lenses
To see what she saw
Maybe one day …
And I remember it hitting me
Like it does every day
When I hear them all talk and complain about their
“Horrible” mothers
What’s it like to have a mother
I’d give anything to know,
Or at least for them to know how lucky they are.
They know.
And I remember she wouldn’t sit up
And I dreamed of a stuffing machine because
Someone whispered by my ear she was
Cut in half and stuffed
And it made no sense
And still at sixteen I wonder
What happened to my mother?
And I remember her faintly
She doesn’t even smile in my dreams anymore
And I wonder if she’ll ever be proud of me
If she’d ever approve of me
And who I’ve become
The things I’ve seen
The things I’ve done
And I remember her singing
Though I can’t hear her voice
The only happy Christmas I hold on to
Every year
Maybe one day it’ll come back
I used to think
Maybe one day she’d come back
And still at sixteen I hope
Maybe one day she’ll come back …
And I remember she wouldn’t wake up
Not even to say good-bye.

RaucousRaven said...
today at 7:42 pm
Great work! Far better than #1 you deserve that placement.

ScarletBaka said...
Jan. 8 at 11:04 pm
SO SWEET!!! AHH IM TOUCHED :((

Eric_XuThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Reading this was heartwrenching. I've never lost someone that close to me before, but this impacted me very emotionally. You're very talented at this, good job!

ImaginationIsImportantThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sometimes I wonder why bad things happen to good people. I wonder why our loved ones have to leave us, without a goodbye..or without a hug or a smile. and I felt this way when my gramma passed away, 3 months ago. She was like my second mum, but I cant even imagine what it would be like to lose the person who gave birth to me. I'm sorry for your loss. And you're a really talented writer...your mom would be proud of you :)

LilCuz1322This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 19, 2015 at 11:52 am
Sometimes I wonder why someone has to leave. I couldn't understand. Relating to this I still feel like I'm in disbelief. You are talented

writer-violistThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Awesome! Very talented writer!! :) Please keep writing and God bless! :-)

jvseph.h said...
Nov. 6, 2015 at 9:30 am
your poem "Memories" reminds me of my grandpa's death. It basically sums up my grandpa's death. i said the same thing "what happen too my mother?" except I said what happen to my grandpa?

raleighr said...
The poem "Memories" reminds me of the time my grandfather died. “And I remember it hitting me” the day he passed. I as well cherish these moments and could not agree more.

MADDOThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 27, 2015 at 6:05 am
All hair stood up while I read your poem....so sorry for your loss but stay strong and keep writing as you have that talent... all the best and goodluck!!!:)

KatyainiThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sept. 13, 2015 at 1:23 am
I totally agree with @Summerstar.I know this loss can never be lightened, but the truth is that you'll find a remnant of her in your every action. Keep Writing.

meaganrosemarie said...
I felt this on a very personal level, I wrote something similar entitled "Since January 10th, 2010," I was thirteen at the time and as the years pass by, it only gets harder. It's haunting to not remember the voice of the person who made me everything I am today. Keep writing from the heart. This was beautiful and I'm sure you're touching something deep inside so many of us. Really good.

SummerstarThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Excellent work, a beautiful poem, I'm sorry for your loss, but keep writing, you have a gift.

Tabster said...
this really gets to you. It makes you take a step back and think about what the people around you are really going through.

ooops said...
This is beautiful. Stay strong.

passion_poet19This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 4, 2015 at 10:11 am
this made me cry but also made me stop taking my mother for granted your words are very powerful to me and im sorry for your lost threw you feelings you have help bring me and my moter closer! :)

SetiziaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Really like the part about the stuffing machine and its implications of dehumanization, and how it connects with one of the overarching themes of appreciating the value of people. Good work :)

hate.love.kaity said...
Feb. 27, 2015 at 12:58 am
so touching and even without being able to understand what your going through still so much emotion. beautifully done

Eleanor4 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This reminds me of when I lost my father. Frightening and haunting but so... real

BaileeBoo said...
That is beautiful.

Rachana1999 said...
Jan. 14, 2015 at 5:43 am
Wow..Amazing..Gosh, I'm so speechless.