Memories This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

And I remember she wouldn’t wake up.
Her lips were mushed together in a
Horrible shade of red
They buried my mother in a white dress
And red lips.
And she couldn’t see.
Where are your glasses, Mommy?
And still at sixteen I bring them to my face
And peer through the distorted murky lenses
To see what she saw
Maybe one day …
And I remember it hitting me
Like it does every day
When I hear them all talk and complain about their
“Horrible” mothers
What’s it like to have a mother
I’d give anything to know,
Or at least for them to know how lucky they are.
They know.
And I remember she wouldn’t sit up
And I dreamed of a stuffing machine because
Someone whispered by my ear she was
Cut in half and stuffed
And it made no sense
And still at sixteen I wonder
What happened to my mother?
And I remember her faintly
She doesn’t even smile in my dreams anymore
And I wonder if she’ll ever be proud of me
If she’d ever approve of me
And who I’ve become
The things I’ve seen
The things I’ve done
And I remember her singing
Though I can’t hear her voice
The only happy Christmas I hold on to
Every year
Maybe one day it’ll come back
I used to think
Maybe one day she’d come back
And still at sixteen I hope
Maybe one day she’ll come back …
And I remember she wouldn’t wake up
Not even to say good-bye.

peacelovelife This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 3:36 pm:
This is incredible. You are very talented

Inksplotch said...
Feb. 1, 2012 at 1:30 am:
Yeah, this is definitely going on my favorites.

Inksplotch said...
Feb. 1, 2012 at 1:29 am:
Wow. Just.. wow. I got chills reading this. This is raw, honest, and simply incredible. Keep writing (:

PrincessJuliet said...
Jan. 30, 2012 at 10:01 am:
Such a good poem:) it makes me understand how life is so precious and that i should charish every moment!

Ballerina101 said...
I love this poem... After reading this, I now have a refound appreiciation for my mother.

DarkenAngel94 said...
THis poem is the best iv read in a few nights but also it reminds me of a dark time in my 17 years, my dad in a way passed 4 days before Christmas in '09, it hard not knowing if they are ok with who and what you become, but jus think, they would be proud either way because you are family to them.

M2coolTodd said...
I have learned to appreiciate my mother while she is still living and your mother would be proud of you

JackieLoveJoy said...
Even though your mother is not with you, she would be proud of you. Some of us wish we didn't have mothers but we do know that we are lucky to have them even though some do not...

BaileyBearXD said...
Your mother is proud of you, any mother who wouldnt be proud of you is wrong your poem made me, the girl with a crackhead for a mom feel lucky bc i have a mom thank you you have inspired my piece dear mom and i would like you to read it please

emattox said...
Jan. 27, 2012 at 11:58 am:
For lack of a better word to describe this poem, wow.

Lashonti said...
Jan. 27, 2012 at 10:40 am:
I love your poem, and could feel your emotion in this poem. I hate to hear you had to go through this. You made me appreciate who I had in my life.

chloe_garrett said...
Jan. 27, 2012 at 8:33 am:
I've never had this experience and I hope I never do. This is a horrible thing to go through. I'm glad you're able to put your feelings and thoughts into words, because you are a phenomenal poet. I'd be honored if you looked at my poetry. Keep up the astounding work.

MaggieElaine This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 27, 2012 at 12:13 am:
This makes me cry every time. By far, one of my favorite pieces.

Amber4141610This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow, I'm so sorry for your loss. Your poetry is beautiful and I know your mother would be proud of you.

Muzix said...
I love this and i lost my mom at the age of 7 so i know how you feel. It takes a lot to be able to put things like this into words so i applaud you for your work. And always remember she can never be erased from you heart.

TheImaginationOfNessie said...
This article is close to my heart. My mom passed away three years ago, when I was twelve. Whenever I hear my friends complain about how their mom is overprotective or strict or that they hate her, I just want to say, "Stop. You don't realize how lucky you are." Thank you for writing this piece, it's beautiful.

poetryboy21 said...
This is so good. I can totally relate to this. I know how it feels also as I lost my mother when I was 8 years old, and I am sixteen now, too. I love your story telling in the poem. Keep it up!

Payton said...
wow this was really touching i know how you feel when you say people talk about theirs mothers in that way and i think that a lot too whats it like to have your here with you. I lost mine when i was very young and i wish so much for her to be here with my siblings and i

KatherineKilljoyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is one of the best poems I have read. It's beautiful and touching. I love it.

caligurl98 said...
this poem reminded me of my madre. She died when i was 1, so i never really knew her. this is a poem i will hold close to my heart.