Memories This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

And I remember she wouldn’t wake up.
Her lips were mushed together in a
Horrible shade of red
They buried my mother in a white dress
And red lips.
And she couldn’t see.
Where are your glasses, Mommy?
And still at sixteen I bring them to my face
And peer through the distorted murky lenses
To see what she saw
Maybe one day …
And I remember it hitting me
Like it does every day
When I hear them all talk and complain about their
“Horrible” mothers
What’s it like to have a mother
I’d give anything to know,
Or at least for them to know how lucky they are.
They know.
And I remember she wouldn’t sit up
And I dreamed of a stuffing machine because
Someone whispered by my ear she was
Cut in half and stuffed
And it made no sense
And still at sixteen I wonder
What happened to my mother?
And I remember her faintly
She doesn’t even smile in my dreams anymore
And I wonder if she’ll ever be proud of me
If she’d ever approve of me
And who I’ve become
The things I’ve seen
The things I’ve done
And I remember her singing
Though I can’t hear her voice
The only happy Christmas I hold on to
Every year
Maybe one day it’ll come back
I used to think
Maybe one day she’d come back
And still at sixteen I hope
Maybe one day she’ll come back …
And I remember she wouldn’t wake up
Not even to say good-bye.

GirlWithWings56 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is the kind of thing that makes me realize just how disrespectful today's youth is. Jyom, don't you understand just how tender and emotional this poem is? How it's obviously about the author losing her mother, and how sad it is? I can't believe how insensitive some people are. AmbRawr, I loved the poem. Eloquent and beautiful. You're a great writer, and don't listen to anyone who says you aren't.
jmc.13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
God, this whole dispute is stupid. Ignore whatever imbosol put down this beautiful creation.
And Jyom Alderman, get a life.
AmbRawr This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Thanks to everyone who has read and commented my poem. I'm always in shock when I get a new comment because I never thought anyone would even give a second glance at it =]
Jane P. replied...
Sept. 21, 2009 at 6:09 am
I thought it was great! So sad.
Sara B. said...
SweetXxXTart18 said...
Aug. 14, 2009 at 2:34 am
Oh my gosh. Thats powerful. I cant even imagine the pain u went thru. Im so sorry! Ur poem nearly made me cry! Definately award winning work to me!
Bria F. said...
Aug. 15, 2009 at 5:04 am
Beautiful, you have so much talent
shann09 said...
Aug. 15, 2009 at 5:17 am
wow. amazing. my mother died when i was in 5th grade. my father died when i was in kindergarden. so i kno how it feels when my friends complain about their parents and i feel like screaming "well at leat you have parents!" i am now 15. I still grieve over my parents, but i know that they are in a better place. i am a christian. :)
Lonleydandy said...
Jun. 27, 2009 at 2:33 am
It was really good, beautiful and heart wrenching. I would have cried, but ever sense It happened, I haven't been able to. A quote that i wrote fits my emotions for it perfectly. Here it is : "Tears are a symbol of Heart. Once it has been broken, they just stop coming.” It was AMAZING. I loved it.
Blue-eyed_Hippy-chick said...
Beautiful. Wondering if they woudld be proud of you is so hard. Made me want to cry
Nina F. said...
Jun. 21, 2009 at 3:57 am
I never knew what my friend meant when she said I'd regret saying I hate you an I wish you'd die an how horrible I say my mother is but your poem has opened up my eyes, It's beautiful life it truely is but if I ever lost my mother I would always be sad
Ducky_38 said...
WOW!!!! awesome poem it is so expressing i don't know how to lose a mother but I know how it feels to lose a uncle in a house fire in december 17 and losing a granny on the same day
so god as different ways to get ther childern back home (to heaven)
your mother is close to you so don't beat urself up she's in ur heart and that's valuble to everyone.
she's ur Guardian angel throughout good and bad.
Kayla C. said...
Jun. 10, 2009 at 12:00 am
it's beautiful..........
lovehate29 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Whoa! Wow! This is so beautiful and heartbreaking. I am so sorry about your mother. I like how you express yourself about her in this piece. It is so good. I mean so outstanding. My mother died too and I wonder why so many people treat their mothers like she's not the queen of their world. I would be so fortunate to have a mother. People just don't know how lucky and fortunate they are.

~~If you have time, please check out my work. Comment and rate if you wish.
This pi... (more »)
AmbRawr This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
i read your poem. It pained me to read becuase I knew what was coming, you expressed it in such a relatable way. My mother didn't have cancer but the whole hand holding thing got me... you're an amzing writer!
Brandi K. said...
freaking awesome. i love it. my dad died. so i can relate.
Moe L. said...
I love this poem! It makes me appreciate that I have a mom and the words spoke to me and brought tears to my eyes! Wonderful job
rachelmueller said...
i thought the words spoke much! the way you wrote this had my heart squeezing in pain! it brought tears to my eyes and made me glad i have a mom no matter how mean she can be i still love you
SilverDawn said...
Jun. 1, 2009 at 1:49 am
this poem is amazing. the sad mood is set from the very first line and I love the "And I remember" startings. i'm sorry about your mother.
Olivea said...
this was so beautiful, it made me cry