Memories This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

And I remember she wouldn’t wake up.
Her lips were mushed together in a
Horrible shade of red
They buried my mother in a white dress
And red lips.
And she couldn’t see.
Where are your glasses, Mommy?
And still at sixteen I bring them to my face
And peer through the distorted murky lenses
To see what she saw
Maybe one day …
And I remember it hitting me
Like it does every day
When I hear them all talk and complain about their
“Horrible” mothers
What’s it like to have a mother
I’d give anything to know,
Or at least for them to know how lucky they are.
They know.
And I remember she wouldn’t sit up
And I dreamed of a stuffing machine because
Someone whispered by my ear she was
Cut in half and stuffed
And it made no sense
And still at sixteen I wonder
What happened to my mother?
And I remember her faintly
She doesn’t even smile in my dreams anymore
And I wonder if she’ll ever be proud of me
If she’d ever approve of me
And who I’ve become
The things I’ve seen
The things I’ve done
And I remember her singing
Though I can’t hear her voice
The only happy Christmas I hold on to
Every year
Maybe one day it’ll come back
I used to think
Maybe one day she’d come back
And still at sixteen I hope
Maybe one day she’ll come back …
And I remember she wouldn’t wake up
Not even to say good-bye.

REESM33 said...
Mar. 8, 2010 at 11:47 am
i completely get how you feel

sharadyn said...
this is very relateable. my aunt who was my care taker when wehad some family issues past just a year and a half ago. i remember her but not enought. i see her still in my dreams also just her voice has faded from my memory.

bmmsdp said...
Mar. 2, 2010 at 10:35 am
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! this is really sad. just think if u never got 2 spend time with your mom. people thinkthat there mom is so lame and she wont let u do anything. but first of all she is just doing it 2 protect u. so think twice when u call ur mom stupid of something harsh.just think how lucky u r 2 have a mom and feel sry 4 people who dont. if ur mom dies will u say o well or will u think about it twice.

ellowsammiehere replied...
this poem was great it has to be my FAVORITE.; but i dont think the point was to exspress people should feel bad for those who have lost someone important. i think its stating you shouldnt take everything for granted.

BmmsCC said...
Mar. 2, 2010 at 10:17 am
this is so sad but it is really good

BmmsBT said...
Mar. 2, 2010 at 8:01 am
I love this peom. It made me stop and think about how lucky I am to have a mother. I am so sorry about your mother.

hip_nicole14 said...
i loved it and it was very good. i like the discriptive parts and somehow it relates with people around you. please look at some of my wor and see how it is.

lostnhim said...
WOW! This poem really moved me, you have a gift with words!( Im sorry about your mom.)

xLpoet said...
So beautiful, descriptive and paints imagery that is special and makes me want to cherish all that I love.

Jesusflowers said...
I loved your poem i loved how you expressed your feelings this is whats poetry is all about allowing the reader to see what you see and feel what you feel this was simply amazing

Philip_Hart said...
Excellent job! Your work has a lot of good voice. Don't lose that! It does make those of people who complain about their mothers wonder what their life would be like if they were gone one day or just hardly in their memory. I enjoyed this very much. Keep up the good work!

!Sarah! said...
I always believed that the best pieces of writing, always come from people who actually experience, rather than just imagine an experience, I'm not sure whether this actually happened to you and I assume that it did, because it was very, very good.

Peace182 said...
Feb. 22, 2010 at 11:03 am
this poem is absolutly great. i almost cried..

Rennie replied...
Wow that is incredible. Very touching... and yes I cried.

Aro_To_The_Heart This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 22, 2010 at 10:52 am
Oh, my god.... This poem is a masterpiece! It reached out to me and took hold on my very soul. The strength of the emotions flowing out is astounding and feels like crashing waves against my being. I got chills when I finished reading this. I'm GLAD this piece was published because you most certainly deserve the highest praises. It's people like you that I gain my inspirations from. The caliber of this poem is only something I could dream of achieving. Good job and good work! Keep it up!

Bailey*Belle said...
Feb. 22, 2010 at 10:46 am
did this really happen to you? if it did i'm so sorry.... one of my best friends lost her mom when she was young and she was there with her.

seahorse said...
Feb. 22, 2010 at 10:31 am
Very beautiful and sad at the same time i like it a lot!

Falling_Angel said...
Feb. 22, 2010 at 12:22 am
such a sad poem. amazing though. keep writing. please look at my poems and please post feedback http ://www.teenink .com /poetry/free_verse/article/147125/I-Wish/

rachey0924 said...
This poem is so sad, but beautiful!

mandielynnrose said...
Wow this is very powerful and really makes me think, my own mother died when I was five but soon after I got a stepmother so I never really felt sadness. I think this poem is really great.