Memories This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

And I remember she wouldn’t wake up.
Her lips were mushed together in a
Horrible shade of red
They buried my mother in a white dress
And red lips.
And she couldn’t see.
Where are your glasses, Mommy?
And still at sixteen I bring them to my face
And peer through the distorted murky lenses
To see what she saw
Maybe one day …
And I remember it hitting me
Like it does every day
When I hear them all talk and complain about their
“Horrible” mothers
What’s it like to have a mother
I’d give anything to know,
Or at least for them to know how lucky they are.
They know.
And I remember she wouldn’t sit up
And I dreamed of a stuffing machine because
Someone whispered by my ear she was
Cut in half and stuffed
And it made no sense
And still at sixteen I wonder
What happened to my mother?
And I remember her faintly
She doesn’t even smile in my dreams anymore
And I wonder if she’ll ever be proud of me
If she’d ever approve of me
And who I’ve become
The things I’ve seen
The things I’ve done
And I remember her singing
Though I can’t hear her voice
The only happy Christmas I hold on to
Every year
Maybe one day it’ll come back
I used to think
Maybe one day she’d come back
And still at sixteen I hope
Maybe one day she’ll come back …
And I remember she wouldn’t wake up
Not even to say good-bye.

xosarang_adri This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:43 am
The words flow smoothly from line to line. The central idea of remembering and wishing for your mother to be there, gave me goosebumps. The ending made the poem come back full circle, and stuck very well with the poem. This was a phenomenal piece of art which I truly enjoyed reading.

AkemiMitsukai said...
Absolutely beautiful.  I really can't imagine what it would be like to lose your mother so young, but I could almost feel the hollowness you felt.

DerickJerome replied...
Aug. 1, 2013 at 7:50 am
Yeah i understand especially since i did at the age 3

StarGazer9This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Awww. I'm going to go sit in a corner now and cry. Really good

haley101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 27, 2013 at 8:12 am
i love the imagery in this piece. it gives a very real face to tragedy and is incredible. keep up the good work. and i'd love it if you commented on some of mine :)  

FlorescenteThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I can relate to this so much. It's truly beautiful and it has the questions I have been asking my whole life.

Breezey said...
Nice Job!!! please rate and review some of my work .. im 15 and just started writing  

evalash said...
Great job!!!!!!!!! you should check out some of my work.

gerekdb38 said...
Great, But sad

Brandon M. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This will have you tearing up! Well done!

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:29 am
That was heart-wrenching....

MissBritt said...
Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:51 am
I really really loved this! It's so moving  and the imagery in it is incredible! Wonderful job :)

Jasquel03 said...
Just Keep Writing And Never Give Up!! You Are Very Talented and Inspirational.. Good Job

Britty said...
This is amz=azing. You're very talented... keep writting  

thankfate said...
i love this.

ShahiroThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:26 am
Wow this is very moving. A dear family member of mine died recently and I still keep imagining him waiting for me at his house asking to play cards....

ShahiroThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 19, 2013 at 2:26 am
ps. Please check out my work.... thanks  :D

nmk1128 said...
This is a very good representation of the human condition. It shows how we as humans hold on even when there is no realistic possibility of our wishes coming true, we still hold on, and there's magic in that. Please check out my poems and writings (: 

sadesdd said...
This poem is very touching, and I very much enjoyed reading it. I could feel the raw emotion: frustration, sadness, confusion. Thank you for writing this beautiful flowing poem.

Hannah24 said...
this is so beautiful, it really flows well