Flame This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I watch this flame pass
from match to wick,
gently stepping over
a great divide.
This flame and I
are not so different:
it comes into being from nothingness;
it eats and grows, smokes, and rests.
It gets angry,
destroys homes,
consumes flesh.
Sated, it becomes calm,
retreats into coals,
smoldering through the night.
Domesticated
by a piece of string,
it makes its home in a cave of wax.
It chases the shadows away
and stands watch through the night.
It sways
and dances in the darkness
before it is extinguished
in the blink
of an eye.

Indilove said...
Apr. 23, 2012 at 7:57 am
Great visualization Great description Great overall work VERY well done!!!!

logo1234 said...
I really like how you related yourself to the flames. Very good description, made it easy to visualize in my head.  I definitely feel that it resembles a candle, bright one second and gone the next.

Light_Walker said...
Apr. 12, 2012 at 7:19 am
I have felt the same. You have captured how many people feel in their life perfectly. I hope your flame will burn forever bright!

Lola_Black said...
I understand.

DanielleD said...

This poem is beautiful and well written. I'd love if you would check out some of my work too! :-)

TeenInk.com/poetry/free_verse/article/443185/A-House-Divided/

dragonfly95 said...
Apr. 1, 2012 at 10:03 am
this beatifuly written...i am sorry for the pain you have felt and expressed in this poem...very well expressed, please check out my work sometime.thanks!

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 1, 2012 at 9:54 am
I like this piece---the idea of the speaker finding resemblance with a natural element, such as water or fire attracts my attention. Usually, when fire is introduced in a poem it is associated with destruction or ot of control. This was not the case, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised.

GittaR said...
Apr. 1, 2012 at 4:55 am
I don't judge, I understand completly and as I read that poem my own memories....which I am sure are similiar to yours burned through. This is an amazing piece, I totally get it.

eddys96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i like this poem. its very hot

12zebraluv replied...
This resembles me by so much

NLURHS said...
Feb. 17, 2012 at 9:26 am
That was amazing I loved it, it just flowed, I could really imagine a flame when reading your poem, just simply amazing :D

HiddenAngelInTheDark said...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 9:08 am
Beautiful and we can all be like an object such as a cloud or a wave or even the rain

Kingdom_of_the_Forgotten said...
This is really good. The work of a genius who knows how to get their point across to people.

KateLA said...
Wow, I just loved this-you are a master at poem writing, gave it 5/5 of course!

living_undefined said...
Reading this poem i imagined a girl litteraly being the flame. and the flame moving as if a mind of its own then in the end i saw a flame make its way into a "cave of wax" then in the cave i saw a girl on fire dancing. I really love this poem :) keep writeing

EternallyMe03 said...
Jan. 26, 2012 at 11:28 am
I truly appreciate this poem. It is very unique in that it can relate to many people. Simple, yet powerful.

AlexisNicole822 said...
Jan. 26, 2012 at 10:46 am
This is amazing. I completely understand the similiarities. And I most definitely agree, I feel this way at times as well. Excellent job(:

amber603This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is one of the best poems i have seen in a while! Great job!

Forgotten_Saint said...
This is a great poem. And I loved the analogies you put in it

K.T.Bugg said...
Love this poem! Very very good! :) It's very touching and true! i love it :) keep up the awesome work!