Genetics This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

People tell me I have his nose
Because it’s strong and hooked
With a powerful bump at the top
But I hope that’s all he gave me
An ugly nose is enough
And better than an ugly mind that
Sinks its teeth into anything it can
Like the hearts of girls who have
Not yet learned to love the real way
I hope I do not have his hands
Calloused from the cold metal of a gun
And stained with a twisted love
Love I hope I do not have
Because love is not a fist or a knife
Love is not an apology
I hope I do not have his back
Because he never had mine
And I hope a nose does not give me
A guiltless conscience and a
Forgetful brain.

vnj6607 said...
Your poem sounds so similar to one of the poems I've written in class. My favorite line was " I hope I do not have his back because he never had mine". Many people can relate to your poem, especially now a days. Love it!

Crispy said...
Oct. 20, 2010 at 9:19 am
This poem captured my attention. I love the flow and how you expressed your feelings. Loved it!

MaddieGr This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

"I hope I do not have his back
Because he never had mine"

Favorite part :D

through_my_eyes replied...

haha. Wow that was my favoriate part of it to. I was like "whoa that was the most amazingest part ever :D"

amazingest should be a word :o

pinkypromise23 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
my favorite line is "i hope i do not have his back becasue he never had mine' and over all this is really good(:

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is great! The only thing I suggest is using more examples-like when you say "I hope I don't have his hands" and "I hope I don't have his back" maybe you could add some more body parts. It seems like it would add to the effect. It's a great piece. Keep on the good work.

DiamondsIntheGrass This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
wow. i love how it gives such a clear image of the guy (dad, right?).  the part between the love and the back is sort of awkward though... but overall, i loved this piece! i would love it if you could take a look at some of my work!!! thanks.

CoLdEsTNiGhTs said...
 love this poem! im trying to get started on teenink and dont know how you do it! i would love for some of you guys to check out my work. probably not as cool as yours but leave me a comment!

through_my_eyes said...
okay WICKED favoriating. this was ah-maz-ing!!

annika_katryn said...
raw is a trite word, but still appropriate. thank you for this. it made me feel.

. said...
thats awsome, I love your poem. is there any way you can ckeck out some of my poetry?

Casper said...
Wow, this is really good. :D

fireflynight said...
How powerful! I feel the sadness and also a bit of defiance. As in, "Yay, that's all I got from someone like you and I'm my own person; I don't have to be ruthless like you." I love it. Post more, please!

Kiersten said...
Jul. 30, 2010 at 12:46 am
oh my goodness... i'm embarrased to admit it... but it touched me so much i actually started to cry... i honestly had a tear runing down my cheek as i finished this poem... i can honestly relate... i'm not just saying that in a relavant way, but in a way... that maybe sometimes i don't want to admit... and that probably doesn't make sense... but... this was amazing... thank you soooo much for writing this... you have no idea how brilliant this is...

xBaByGiRrL22x said...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 12:09 am
i luv this poem. itz so honest & strong. i can relate also in a way. awesome jobkeep it up:D

xovanillatwilightxo This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I am in love with this poem. So true and such raw emotion. Beautiful! Keep writing<3

MelanieLouise This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 8, 2010 at 11:47 am

very inspiring and truthful.

i know people say that they understand but they really don't, but in this instance, i do understand.

keep writing

AprilBlue said...
LOVE. IT. 

Fieldsofwind said...
lovely poem. this is a fantastic piece of work, it's absolutely spectacular!

Egyptiangirl13 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
wow!!! amazing!!! this is just brilliant=!!!! absoloutley wonderful!! wow!! i would love it if you would check out some of my work!!!