Genetics | Teen Ink

Genetics MAG

By Alexandra Bishop SILVER, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Alexandra Bishop SILVER, Oak Ridge, Tennessee

People tell me I have his nose
Because it’s strong and hooked
With a powerful bump at the top
But I hope that’s all he gave me
An ugly nose is enough
And better than an ugly mind that
Sinks its teeth into anything it can
Like the hearts of girls who have
Not yet learned to love the real way
I hope I do not have his hands
Calloused from the cold metal of a gun
And stained with a twisted love
Love I hope I do not have
Because love is not a fist or a knife
Love is not an apology
I hope I do not have his back
Because he never had mine
And I hope a nose does not give me
A guiltless conscience and a
Forgetful brain.

BannedGeekII SILVER, Commack, New York
Amazing Poem. I enjoyed reading it a lot.

Heart2Heart PLATINUM, Woonsocket, Rhode Island
Amazing how you related body parts to certain situations in life. That's quite creative. Really, you could probably be a professional poet if you wanted to. Great stuff. Rate: 5/5

Chrissypeace said...
This was poem was really good. It was strong and held lots of emotion. I agree with the other two people about liking the line, I hope i do not have his back/because he never did have mine.

"i hope i do not have his back, because he never had mine." that is such an ingenius line, i can't get over it. amazing work!

sydneyr14 said...
that is so deep its powerful

on Feb. 17 2009 at 2:23 am
this is so amazing!

dreamer said...
on Feb. 1 2009 at 6:21 am
I entirely agree with anonymous111, that line caught me the most; mind you out of all the captivating and thought-provoking lines in the poem.

this piece of work is just heartfelt, deep and penetrating enough to bring tears to someone's eyes, but just enough sophisticated, determined and professional to stand its ground among all other works by aspiring poets.

Fabulous piece.

Flashpoint said...
on Feb. 1 2009 at 2:34 am
Nicele done. you could tell that you put emotion in to the poem

Iamme said...
i love this it is great and it remins me alot of my own life and how i feel on certain subjects it makes me want to cry. :(

Lauren said...
Wow. This poem is amazing, I was litteraly trying not to cry.. Oh know I need a tissue! Wow. "Because love is not a fist or a knife". Wow. I write really good peoms too. But not in a million years like this one! It's so incredible. Woww woww woww! Ahh! so good~and heart warming, keep up the good work and I hope you come look at mine,, ((: Myy name is Lauren C come look at my workk !! Pleasee~~!!

lillielove said...
This poem was so incredibly moving. We did a Socratic Circle, and 5s, and a SOAPSTone in it. It is very beautiful in a dark, sad way.

Anonymous111 said...
on Jan. 15 2009 at 1:30 am
I love this poem..

"I hope I do not have his back/ Because he never had mine" is my favorite..

I like your other poem too.. Great work.

mahanaham5 said...
on Jan. 14 2009 at 2:41 am
woa, this is so creative and beautiful while still dark ..impressive ! its so thought provoking, you have a real talent ! the world needs more writers like you, please continue writing ! ((:

Very nice work.

Understandable.

Realatable.

Real.

All the things a poem should be.

almost_there said...
Wow, this is great. It kinda makes me want to cry. The wording is very good and I love the part about being stained with twisted love, it is so descriptive and beautiful in such a sad, broken way. Keep up the good work.

anonymousaya said...
This is a great poem, I like how it's not cliche in any sense. Your wording is excellent, very clever.

Elisha said...
This is so good! "I hope I do not have his back / because he never had mine" is my favorite part. It sums up the whole poem. Awesome work!