Canon In D This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Empty field
slender spires
soft stiff grass
a violinist.
A lonely note
through the night
echo of
Canon in D.

Slender strings
produce every note,
voices in wind.
Summer sky
night,
a sudden crescendo:
intense and eccentric.
Regret.

Me, alone.
Walking down
the wrong path,
too late
to turn back.

I walk closer,
listen.
Strings move,
The pace quickens.
Notes become two
not one.
Sincerity.
Sorrow enters.
Me
again.
Deserted
empty road
nowhere to go,
not knowing
home,
not having
someone
depend on.

Rhythmic motions of bow
slow
soft sound
a single feather,
falling,
despair.
no more

Violin strings
move
melody
begins
twists
-turns
not following
-path
strings
and what they do
what was once
taught,
now
follows identity
what is
believed.
Letting go
exposing the soul
removing sorrows,
losses.

Hope and strength
sneak through.
So does
Tranquility
So does peace,
serenity,
harmony.

My hands clap
slowly and softly,
appraisal,
the violinist stops,
the bow drops
on thick layers of grass.

Notes dispersed out
into the summer night.
Nonexistent.

Silence comes,
emotions flood in.
Achieving impossible:
proving-
Nothing is impossible.
Hope and strength,
will sneak through.

dina8 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
today at 6:37 pm:
Great poem, the reference to music is amazing

RayynbowThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sep. 13 at 7:47 pm:
Although the emotions got me, I was a little lost on the story of it. The pattern of the lines are reminiscient of E.E. Cummings' work (which I like, don't be confused), but it's just hard to follow in such a long poem.

MissExplorationThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sep. 14 at 1:28 am :
While writing this, I never thought it would be a reminiscient of E.E. Cumming's work. It is long, I had originally wanted it to be short and to the point.

SwanSongThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 2 at 9:47 am:
I love the way this pulls the reader onward with its short lines. It builds and builds and then realeases it all at the end, and I like how it relates to a musical peice. Very nice work!

Aug. 3 at 2:36 am :
Thank you!

LabradorianThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 1 at 6:16 pm:
A while back I wrote a poem of the same title, about the same music, and what I loved about this poem was how different it was, both in theme and in style. It throws into releif how one idea stems into so many different usages. 

sarah98This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 31 at 7:20 pm:
i love how the story was told with music. this is fantastic

Aug. 1 at 3:34 am :
Thank you! (:

LoonyLoopyLupinThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 31 at 3:31 pm:
Gorgeous. I love Canon in D, and this poem does it justice. The flow of this poem is beautiful, and I could almost hear parts of Canon in D that corresponded to different lines and stanzas. To me it even seems to hits crescendos and decrescendos, in a way I can't really explain. Not quite sure how you did that, but it's a great touch. :) It's plain to see that you have a lot of passion for music, and this piece in particular; it all just shines through on this... wonde... (more »)

Jul. 31 at 5:08 pm :
Thank you for your feedback. My intention of writing this poem was to have the reader be able to hear Canon in D playing through their mind as they read this poem.    For my last two stanzas, I changed it. If you could please give me feedback on the ending that is shown below. Notes dispersed out Night comes. What was loud is now silent. Stars above me light up dimmer switch. Nothing is impo... (more »)

Krasota-Butterflies-and-AngelsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 31 at 11:08 am:
I like how you made the reader FEEL the music being played. WOW. This was awesome, I'm a fan <3

Jul. 31 at 5:09 pm :
I'm glad I was able to make you feel the music being played

sophistryxoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 17 at 2:06 pm:
THIS IS SUPERB. Honestly, this is incredible. I love this so much. Great work!