"We're All Just Taller Children" | Teen Ink

"We're All Just Taller Children"

By myp4ntsrt1ght BRONZE, Shelton, Connecticut
myp4ntsrt1ght BRONZE, Shelton, Connecticut

You know when your mother comes into your room every night when you're in bed, pretending you're asleep, while she tucks you in?

You know how when it's really nice out? A little cooler outside than in, so she opens a couple windows to throw fresh air into your dreams?

You know how you can't fall asleep with any lights on, and you unplug everything in your cubicle in order to sleep well?

You know how many nights you can't fall asleep because you have so much on your mind?
You can't stop analyzing the possibilities, and you end up keeping yourself up so late you fall asleep during lunch at school the following morning?
I do.

But I'm thinking, you know..that fresh air isn't all that fresh really, but imagine this:
What if air smelled like your favorite perfume?
What if it was delicate enough to mean to harm to your precious body.
Your nitrogen and your oxygen would still be there to visit your lungs, but it would smell heavenly.
What if you couldn't stop smiling in your sleep, and you could appreciate your smile from what's keeping you alive?
It would be what sweet dreams would be made of; A sweet inhale, conversing with your teeth and tongue.
So do you sleep on your side, your back, your stomach, or switch positions throughout the night.
Do you fidget in your sleep or stay quite put throughout your rest?
Because I sleep on my stomach and my head switches from left to right every minute or hour.
It does.

This is an old piece I wrote when I was maybe 13 or 14, trying to fall asleep. Back when my mother would still tuck me in.