I Am From This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I am from
My green blankey and
Climbing out of my crib
From playing mermaid in the bathtub.

I am from walking my dog,
And the noise he made when I step on his tail.

I am from my sheep nightlight
And Blue’s Clues and the Berenstain Bears.
I am from spinning until
I can’t tell where I am and
Seeing the world upside-down.

I am from long days at school
And hurrying home to watch Pokémon.
From chocolate-chip cookies at
Grandma’s house.

I am from July days in the pool
And running through the sprinklers.
From my imaginary friends and
The games we used to play like
Doctor and patient and teacher and student.

I am from trips to the grocery store
And that time I fell out of the cart onto the
Sticky linoleum floor.

I am from the tap tap tap
Of my tap shoes that one week
That I decided to be a dancer.
I am from trying new things.

I am from rainy days
And board games,
Saturday cartoons and Cheerios.

I am from walks on the beach
And the sand on my feet,
And not wanting to go home after vacation.

I am from Barbies and Polly Pockets
From playing with my sister,
The other half of me.

I am from books and flashlights
And pens and paper.
From silence to screaming.

I am from tears on my pillow
And unanswered cries.
From holding your hand
And that look in your eyes.

I am from past and present
And dreams of the future.
I am from hard work and
Harder play.
And I am from writing down my thoughts
On a midsummer’s day.

WriterGeek<3 said...
This touched me Imagine looking at everyone and seeing there story. I enjoyed hearing yovery deeply. I remember when I was a little girl. So much has shaped me. urs.

goodjobbob said...
Jan. 19, 2011 at 11:39 am:

I think that you did a spectaculiar job on this poem! very good! :0

fivestar4987529 said...
Jan. 19, 2011 at 11:39 am:
this is a very meaningful poem and i really like it.

jemter This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I wrote almost the same poem! actualy, it's so exact that its scary...

WriterGeek<3 replied...
Jan. 31, 2011 at 9:51 pm :
I know! Some childhood things are just so similiar! I loved the same books etc. :)

Aelita said...
So true!  We are all products of our childhoods!  Hey, will everyone please check out my new poem?

SkyLane said...
I love this (: Memories are so important to me, and this is just beautiful. Gave me goosebumps! Keep writing!

CourtneyJ This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This reminds me of my childhood of watching Blue's Clues and being with grandma. Miss the good ole days!

SpringRayynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 11, 2010 at 11:01 am:
Oh, these kinds of poems are so much fun! I like to just look around my bedroom and find random things to write into it, but I think this is better than just that because it actually shows things that got you to where you are now.

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution said...
how does this get to the top? ive seen great poems about wars, poverty, anorexia, inner demons on this site all written artfully and with meaning and THIS gets top?

WriterDancerLover This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 11, 2010 at 1:32 am :
I think that is a common mistake of teenage writers. We tend to think that poetry has to be about extreme subjects and darkness, or we think it has to be mushy and overdone. However, I wrote this poem because it was a time in my life when I needed to remember what joy felt like. Sometimes, the point of poetry is simply to create a life for the author. I wrote this poem for myself, and posted it on a whim. I feel blessed that it has been on the top so many times. I appreciate your honest comment ... (more »)

twizzlesinger said...
I wrote a Where I am From poem, also (: check it out! yours is worth three thumbs up (YES, THREE!) use your big toe :-)

AlwaysWrite28 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is amazing, and we have a lot in common might I add! I loved the part about "my sister, the other half of me" that reminded me of my poem "Immortal in a Memory" u can check it out if u want. Great work, its a beautiful poem.

Dec. 11, 2010 at 1:33 am :
Thank you for the comment! My sister truly is the other half of me. We're identical twins. I'll make sure to check out your poetry. God bless.

mstweety012 said...
i love this poem it reminds me so much of wat i use to do like watch pokemon and stuff like that .....amazing

misunderstood11 said...
I LOVE IT. It reminds me of childhood and how childish i still am.

vnj6607 said...
Your poem is so cute!  What's weird is that I have a poem with the same title. It must be a teacher scene. My favorite part that I could relate to is " I am from walks on the beach and the sand on my feet and not wanting to go home after vacation". I can definitely relate to that.

Dec. 11, 2010 at 1:35 am :
I get a lot of comments about the "teacher scene." =] I actually just wrote it straight from my mind, without knowing it was such a popular subject.

Ryalynn said...
thats cute. that actually makes me think about where i am from. not from hate but from enjoyment and things to do. GREAT PIECE OF WORK. VERY TALENTED INDEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ameezy said...
Wow this is so weird! My class did this  poem two weeks ago in English! It was such a fun poem to do. I might even put mine on here too! I love it! Good job :)