Daddy's Womb This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

i asked my father if i could swim,
and he said that i would drown.
The Sea would imprison me – he said
if my feet had left the ground.

So i walked out to the water,
and cried out – how ’bout now!
He said, a little bit further, Son,
and then you’ll leave the ground.

i stepped on sand then stone,
from hollow ground to sturdy.
The sky was at my level as I
gazed at the birdie.

The Sea brought me a new idea,
the urge to flee to the high.

i asked my Father if i could fly,
and he said, sure, Son – go try.

i jumped as high as i could.
Still, i landed on the ground.
i saw my Father pull on a chain,
then i knew that i was bound.

bunny31 said...
Nov. 6, 2015 at 11:44 am
The poem is a great lesson of being able to do what others say you cannot. The son asked his father if he could swim and says his reply was “I would drown. The Sea would imprison me – he said if my feet had left the ground”, but the son still goes out deep into the water and thrives, and I like that this poem foreshadows the lesson.

ItsTimeToBeginThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
One of the things I love most is the tone. It's kind of casual, making it relatable, but it also seems to have this deeper meaning too about the hope and disappointment which comes with dreams.

alissagraves said...
This poem is so relatable. I love how you were basically saying no matter how hard someone can try to do what they wanted someone was always there preventing them from doing it. I’m a teenager, and often there are people that feel the need to hold me back, so I can relate. The poem says, “I asked my Father if I could fly, he said, sure, Son- go try. I jumped as high as I could. Still, I landed on the ground. I saw my Father pull on a chain, then I knew that I was pound.” I love this becaus... (more »)

kristiannrenee_ said...
Nov. 4, 2015 at 11:26 am
I like this poem because it says, “I asked my father if I could fly, and he said, sure, Son-go try.” I can relate to this because my dad is also my main protector. He encourages me to take chances, and if I don’t succeed his is still always right there to catch me.

SuccubusCWThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 25, 2015 at 1:57 am
Woooow. Amazing. 10/10 best poem ever-IGN

President_Bush replied...
Nov. 2, 2015 at 10:22 am
8/8 best r8 m8 even b8r b8!

RoseofDeath said...
Oct. 21, 2015 at 10:19 am
amazing. rhythm and tempo are pleasant to the ears.

Sarika M. said...

Midnight101 said...
Awesome, I like this, its good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Krystalbelle said...
The article really drew me in. Amazing

jonesy_64 said...
great adjectives!!!

The.panda.queen said...
Sept. 28, 2015 at 11:28 am
I cried. A poem I needed to hear

littlepepe said...
Sept. 23, 2015 at 11:47 am
I LOVE THIS POEM SO FREAKING MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Invisiblefigure said...
Sept. 19, 2015 at 12:39 am
Wow, the flow of this work is absolutely stunning! I wanted to press the 'you've got talent' button a million times! Keep writing!

Owenh said...
Sept. 17, 2015 at 11:05 am
That was just so beautiful

jlainThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
wow. This is great. You got comments back in 2008 and your still getting them today. 7 years later. wow

. said...
Sept. 11, 2015 at 7:31 am
WOW that's all I got to say it was intense

Colemanl said...
Intense, very well written.

kozume said...
I love the subtle message and the deeper meaning. This poem is amazing.

MMickey said...
I am in love with this poem