Where I Come From This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I am from smiles and good mornings
To sweet hugs at night
From the woods of camping
To roasting golden-brown marshmallows.
From barks and meows
To slobbery pants and purrs.

I am from clicks on the Dell computer
To silent rings on the phone
From hanging with friends
And being told to come home.

I am from wet splashes with the family
To lying on a summer night under the stars
From school dances and parties with friends
To telling deep dark secrets while catching a late movie.

I am from rough pain
And sharp happiness
But most of all where I am from
Are people who care
And people who I know will always be there.

crushed_veneer said...
This is such a beautiful poem! nice work :)

Wilson1994 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is a wonderful poem! Loved the use of rhyme in the last two lines, simplistic as it is, makes it all the more wonderful! Please check out my poetry, want some serious input on how to make it as good as this!!! again, fantastic piece of poetry :)

reman5 said...
Mar. 14, 2012 at 8:21 am
Great poem! I loved the experiences you talked about that remind me of good memories with people I love.

Mimi15 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 8, 2012 at 10:23 am
This reminds of my home town. It's a really nifty poem so keep writing! Check out my poem 'On our Own'? Thanks

JamesODalaigh This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 3, 2011 at 5:49 am

loved this poem, keep up the excellent work! :)

Isawyouyesterday said...
I wrote one of these a while ago...brought me back to "where im fre" poems. Beautiful and deep

Isawyouyesterday replied...
"where im from"**

smarie13 said...
This is a really beautiful poem keep up the good work, Can you check out some of mine?

kat2.0 said...
This poem is well written and It is interesting to read

Laura_Oliver said...

I like the soft feeling of this poem, not really intense. I could read a whole book of these on a rainy summer day in my pajamas.

Plus, check out my poem "True Colors" if you get a chance, and leave some feedback.

YoungRevelation8 said...

Beautiful poem! Love the way you arranged your words. So Eloquent, beautiful and easy to visualize. Love it. Check out my HEAD TO THE WEST PIECE HERE  piece TeenInk.com/poetry/free_verse/article/349259/Head-To-The-West/

MY LETTER TO JULIET PIECE! 

TeenInk.com/poetry/free_verse/article/349256/MY-LETTER-TO-JULIET/

MY MISSING RIB PIECE! 

TeenInk.com/poetry/free_verse/article/349126/My-Missing-Ri... (more »)

Aaron Epps (: said...
This poem is great! It reminds me of home. The poem also has a relaxing mood, and I really like it for that!

Carissa R. said...
I noticed it cause the photo credit is my name!!!! :D hahaha 

DontForgetMeYet said...
I love this poem! It's very cute!

MollyM said...
ummm.. this is exactly like the famous "where Im from" poem.... where has originality gone?

SecrecyGirl15 replied...
i agree!! i hadn't heard this poem before so i googled it and you're correct. what a disappointment... just a "re-make''

KaitlynMarie replied...
Apr. 19, 2011 at 10:23 am
It's true that it's basically a copy, but at least she used different words.

Laura_Oliver replied...
Oh, I see. Sad.

Mgymnast This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this poem!! It's really good! Especially the ending! it ends the poem well!!! :) I also like the whole idea of the poem. You must have worked so hard on this!! I think you should send it in to teen ink and try to get it published ont he website!!! :) Also can you please take a look at my writing- The cul-de-sac and The watering hole (That are published on this website) And please rate and comment on them?? It would be greatly appreciated!! THANKS!!! :) :)

the_Horsegirl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I found the last stanza to be out of place. I don't understand where the "rough pain" comes from; the other stanzas don't mention pain. They make it seem as if there is no pain at all in the writer's life. I would suggest editing the first three stanzas so that there is a little more conflict. Without that conflict, not only is the last stanza a little weird, but the poem is not very interesting ot read. In my opinion, poems should be just a little unsettling so that the reader has to think a bit.