War of Words

Words are thrown like knives,
Unwavering, Aimed for the kill.
Obscenities fly,
Accusations run high,
The air deadly still
As the raw anger thrives.

Each soldier trembles behind a sheild
Avoiding life-threatening blows.
Dodging and weaving,
All the while scheming -
Through each mouth hatred flows,
Inflicting wounds that can't be healed.

HannSawyer15 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nice... really raw. But That's why I like it so much. :)

olican16 said...

this is GREAT! i love how you painted a picture of this through your words(imagery... haha) love ya, Al.

-O

Madisoon said...

Wow, reading your poem gave me chills...

You have amazing imagery; I was seeing a very graphic war with knives made out of moving words sheilds that were too small to be of any help. This post is one of my favorites and I hope people see this and get the same feeling I did.

Keep 'em coming, you're great!

- Jamie

Madisoon replied...
oops hahaha *and*

GangstaEyes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aww thanks Jamie! (This is Alex, in case you hadn't figured it out :P) Thats EXACTLY the image I was trying to paint! :) Glad ya liked it! 

WordShredder said...
Wow, this poem is SO good! Fabulous job, the imagery was so vivid.

Thanks so much :) Imagery is one of my favorite aspects of writing - I love painting a picure with my words!

mandapanda9736 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 29, 2010 at 9:00 am
 really love the way this poem was written, the style and such, its wonderful!

Thanks so much! :)

DiamondsIntheGrass This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
love the way this one was written.

Aug. 13, 2010 at 9:59 am
Thanks so much!

ellyn-bo-bellyn_2014 said...
I agree with you. They tell little kids "stick and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me." I think they've got it all wrong. Sure, sticks and stones break bones but words-- That pain never goes away.

DiamondsIntheGrass This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
i think the original meaning of that was for someone that is being hurt by words to say that so the bully would back off.

GangstaEyes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 1, 2010 at 8:54 am
I appreciate all the comments - thanks for your encouraging words!

xovanillatwilightxo This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
amazing! you got your point across very well :) i loved it! check out my work?

malgal3 said...
WOW, this is a really great poem. I love the message. You got your point across very well.

mpacheco15 said...
I know. Even unspoken words that are lingering there hurt worse than a soccerball to the stomach.

mpacheco15 replied...
Also, it's not published yet but when my poem Secret comes out i'll post you.

vampirexchickkk This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Hey, I checked out your stuff like you asked... and it's good. I like this poem; it has the same kind of vibe to it that mine does. Good job!

Genni said...
I think this poem hits the nail on the head. Everyone thinks "sticks and stones will break your bones but words will never hurt you" but that is a lie. Words hurt they really do and this poem potrays it.