I Am From This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I am from
My green blankey and
Climbing out of my crib
From playing mermaid in the bathtub.

I am from walking my dog,
And the noise he made when I step on his tail.

I am from my sheep nightlight
And Blue’s Clues and the Berenstain Bears.
I am from spinning until
I can’t tell where I am and
Seeing the world upside-down.

I am from long days at school
And hurrying home to watch Pokémon.
From chocolate-chip cookies at
Grandma’s house.

I am from July days in the pool
And running through the sprinklers.
From my imaginary friends and
The games we used to play like
Doctor and patient and teacher and student.

I am from trips to the grocery store
And that time I fell out of the cart onto the
Sticky linoleum floor.

I am from the tap tap tap
Of my tap shoes that one week
That I decided to be a dancer.
I am from trying new things.

I am from rainy days
And board games,
Saturday cartoons and Cheerios.

I am from walks on the beach
And the sand on my feet,
And not wanting to go home after vacation.

I am from Barbies and Polly Pockets
From playing with my sister,
The other half of me.

I am from books and flashlights
And pens and paper.
From silence to screaming.

I am from tears on my pillow
And unanswered cries.
From holding your hand
And that look in your eyes.

I am from past and present
And dreams of the future.
I am from hard work and
Harder play.
And I am from writing down my thoughts
On a midsummer’s day.

Artemis.Roe said...
Mar. 14, 2016 at 10:52 am
I remember doing something like this for a project back in sixth grade! Great poem! :)

ashley01rocks said...
Feb. 27, 2016 at 7:01 am
amazing poem

Roe-Daniels said...
Feb. 17, 2016 at 7:58 am
Made me smile :) great job!

Roe-Daniels said...
Feb. 17, 2016 at 7:57 am
Oh wow that was truely amazing. So simple but I love it so much. The lines are sometime like quick thoughts darting around inside in your head but move to a more swirling rhythm as if you can feel the wind you are throwing the words into. Wonderful :)

Roe-Daniels said...
Feb. 17, 2016 at 7:53 am
Quick and sharp like a bright spark idea hits you. Fantastic! Keep writing.

Roe-Daniels said...
Feb. 17, 2016 at 7:52 am
Honest and beautiful. It to me sounds like a private love letter that you can never send to someone, the type of letter you keep in a box under your bed. It's very romantic and in a sad way warms the heart to know that it was so special and you can still remember those great, wonderful moments alongside the pain. Keep writing xx

Roe-Daniels said...
Feb. 17, 2016 at 7:46 am
I can't believe you are eleven and can write so beautifully. So sweet and romantic. We need to read more poems like this, ones that touch the heart.

Roe-Daniels said...
Feb. 17, 2016 at 7:44 am
I love this. The rhythm is so addictive that you just read on, and continue to spiral down though the emotionally whirlpool.

Roe-Daniels said...
Feb. 17, 2016 at 7:42 am
Very raw and the emotionally honesty makes it so incredibly powerful.

Roe-Daniels said...
Feb. 17, 2016 at 7:40 am
Beautiful. I love how you fragment each line as a way, to me, to reflect that the memory is a snapshot in time. It's a very relateable poem too in the way it captures common memories that most of us are lucky to share and love to look back on when we get older. Beautiful, love you'll work, don't stop writing xx.

pritzy said...
Jan. 15, 2016 at 7:11 am
This is brilliant!

JayBlue said...
I loved that line, "I am from tap tap tap, of my shoes that one week, that I decided to be a dancer, I am from trying new things." I can relate very well to this line and to Saturday cartoons and running in the sprinklers. I think that most of us can. Excellent job. :)

Julia M. said...
Jan. 4, 2016 at 12:33 am
This is just beautiful. I feel like everyone can relate, and I thought the last stanza tied the whole poem together, amazingly.

hunterrjordan10 said...
Nov. 6, 2015 at 11:43 am
I enjoy the poem, “I Am From” because it reminds me of my childhood. My favorite line has to be,” I am from hard work and Harder play.” This is my favorite line because it's an important motto in life.

bailss1 said...
Nov. 4, 2015 at 11:32 am
I like this poem because I can imagine, “and running through the sprinklers.” This is such a fond memory I have as a child. I loved it!

abby.v said...
The quote "I am from July days in the pool And running through the sprinklers." definitely sparked my interest. It sounds personal to your childhood, but it also brings back memories of my childhood. The imagery took me back in time to when I was a kid. I loved it!

SummerstarThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is a beautiful story WriterDancerLover, not many people can so well bring emotion and memories into their words, it makes me think of when I was little and some of my special memories. Thank you so much for sharing your gift with us and keep writing!

zmo17 said...
Really good poem!

Merveille This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
you might find this cheeky of me but check out my version of this poem still called " I am From" but added a dark twist. i love the original though.

KateStar replied...
Oct. 14, 2015 at 2:15 am
A very moving poem! It makes my heart ache for you. Thank you for sharing this. You are in my prayers.☺️❤️