I Am From This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I am from
My green blankey and
Climbing out of my crib
From playing mermaid in the bathtub.

I am from walking my dog,
And the noise he made when I step on his tail.

I am from my sheep nightlight
And Blue’s Clues and the Berenstain Bears.
I am from spinning until
I can’t tell where I am and
Seeing the world upside-down.

I am from long days at school
And hurrying home to watch Pokémon.
From chocolate-chip cookies at
Grandma’s house.

I am from July days in the pool
And running through the sprinklers.
From my imaginary friends and
The games we used to play like
Doctor and patient and teacher and student.

I am from trips to the grocery store
And that time I fell out of the cart onto the
Sticky linoleum floor.

I am from the tap tap tap
Of my tap shoes that one week
That I decided to be a dancer.
I am from trying new things.

I am from rainy days
And board games,
Saturday cartoons and Cheerios.

I am from walks on the beach
And the sand on my feet,
And not wanting to go home after vacation.

I am from Barbies and Polly Pockets
From playing with my sister,
The other half of me.

I am from books and flashlights
And pens and paper.
From silence to screaming.

I am from tears on my pillow
And unanswered cries.
From holding your hand
And that look in your eyes.

I am from past and present
And dreams of the future.
I am from hard work and
Harder play.
And I am from writing down my thoughts
On a midsummer’s day.

malearemele said...
today at 6:23 pm
I wrote something similar for my English project it's on here too

Lily">This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 8 at 2:06 am
i love this !

elizabethb11This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Can a piece of writing that was published let's say, a month ago be published in this month's magazine?

B">This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 14, 2017 at 2:47 am
really is an amazing poem

Bus3">This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Dec. 11, 2017 at 4:21 am
Fantastic poem,very nice

PB1-2 said...
This poem was beautiful, I loved how you connected the past and the present so perfectly.

EnpanzurThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 4, 2017 at 11:52 am
I am from the bed that I sleep on everyday, from the icecream that fell on the floor yesterday and the mouse in my room that won't go away.

NJacobY said...
Beautiful peace of writing. Love how you made your transitions.

Homer said...
Feb. 25, 2017 at 5:58 am
This is so beautifully written! Warm and feel-good in the beginning and touching in the end, I might say this really is one of my favorite TeenInk poem.

KevMeow said...
This poem is worded so perfectly! I can relate to all of it!!

LeisurelySketches said...
Jan. 12, 2017 at 4:59 am
Loved the 'I am from..' at the beginning of each stanza, and how it adds meaning to the poem. Simple but beautiful, and something that everyone can relate to.

Patrick82432 said...
I like this piece and the message of how time changes the way you live your life.

socialkaysualtyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 16, 2016 at 9:41 am
this is so hauntingly true... love it!

anna4real.z This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Ahh you just named like half of the pleasant things I knew as a kid. And I love your ending!

KevMeow replied...
Feb. 16, 2017 at 8:07 am
Yeah! This lists all the things I used to do... It's REALLY good.

SallyW.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I relate to this so much. This is beautiful!

Kalianah_Wogoman said...
i like this poem. I like how you worded it.

miaH.505This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really like this poem. You took a rather mainstream concept of writing about your child hood "Where I'm From" and really made it your own. You made it unique. Great job!

Slampoet said...
Brilliant love it , Please check out my work @slampoet

janesnow This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
haven't we all tap-tap-tapped our tap shoes that one week? so relatable, it's insane...