A Love Poem (Revisited) | Teen Ink

A Love Poem (Revisited)

By BPietrie BRONZE, Aurora, Illinois
BPietrie BRONZE, Aurora, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

A Love Poem (Revisited)
Right now , my parents are having some trouble, and it made me double back and realize that I’m so tired of the word
“love...”
And, I don’t mean like, the feeling of it, but more so the power that has, or hasn’t been put behind it because I’ve seen it said right after a fight, and now I know that they might not
mean it…
It’s just that I can see that their eyes are so empty because they’re probably- maybe thinking that they shouldn’t have gotten married at all. So,
I’m just so tired of the word
“love…”
Now, I’m not saying to never say that word again, but don’t leave it alone and hanging at the end. Instead, add something to that 3-word-phrase. Make it
I love you like…
And, I’m not talking about the like that’s in like “like! oh my god, really!?” when you find out that your best friends are dating. I’m talking about the one that we learned in English that talks about two things relating.
So, relate me to something you
love…
I love you
like…
I love you
like…
I love you
like…
I love you like I love dying my hair
Or like how Slim Shady loves saying that he “don’t” care
But we all know he does…
I love you like hipsters love to rag on “mainstream” s***
And also like how they love to go out and buy it
Ironically…
I love you like “noobs” love to get “pwnd”
Or like how martyrs love to get stoned
But for religious purposes only
I love you like you’re my favorite movie and I just feel like I’m so lucky that you’d choose me, ‘cause there’s billions of other “coming soon to a theater near you”s out there and you don’t care about my low budget. I’m just hoping that I won’t screw it up this time, my dear because sometimes it’s just so nice to hear that little
I love you like…

I love you like how robot alcoholics love to get buzzed
Or like how I hate people that pierce themselves because
It’s just so stupid…
I love you like accountants love to be Jewish
And the best thing about that joke is that only I can use it because
I’m a Jew-)
By blood…
I love you like how I hate my glasses
Or like people love to think that they’re badasses
Because they wear leather…

I love you like how PETA loves to go crazy, okay, well, maybe not that much ‘cause I’ve never thrown paint on someone I don’t even know and we’ve both been shown a million times that I’m a terrible artist. And, believe me, I know that these rhymes suck, but I’m hoping that if I talk fast enough that no one will notice and that everyone’ll focus on the fact that I’m telling you what
I love you like…

I love you like Ash Ketchum loves STDs
And now I’m hoping that you won’t hate me for using a joke that
Everyone already knows…
I love you like King Arthur hates to be square-
Okay, either you didn’t get it, it wasn’t funny, or you just don’t care about my
Round table jokes…
I love you like how I hate black and brown together
And like how I hate when people don’t use proper grammar
Combined…

I love you like I love spray-painting and peoples’ reactions when they realize that a white-girl like me is doing the same thing as Banksy in her spare time. I mean, usually they don’t believe me because the thought of a chick like me achieving something rebellious that isn’t landing on 16 and Pregnant is weird, because girls are supposed to be jealous of guys. But, I think people need to realize that I can do anything- paint, run, read, throw a perfect spiral, and write- because, if they did, they might understand what
I love you like…

BPietrie BRONZE, Aurora, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
It was originally written as a spoken word piece for a class- the minnimum time length was 3 minutes. Thank you though!

hippiechick99 GOLD, Mesquite, Texas

"... How dreary to be somebody-- How public like a frog;
To tell one's name; the livelong June-- To an admiring bog"
-Emily Dickinson

It seemed to long to me, it was almost not poetic besause of the many details and similies. I still enjoyed it though, keep writing.

TheGirlWhoReachesForStars SILVER, Morrisville, North Carolina

\"Imperfection is beauty; madness is genius.
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring.\"
-Marilyn Monroe

(: this is perfect- i absolutely LOVE it!!! haha keep writing <3