The Masterpiece

Up in an Attic, up above, lives
An Artist and his masterpiece
Painting a picture of a boy;
Mixing all the colors of the world,
Making colors you have never imagined,
Pink Camellia for his cheeks, Dream Shadow for his hair
Sweet Flesh for his hands and Melting Auburn for his stare.

One day the Artist leaves,
In search of more paint, yet he never returns
Leaving the boy’s Mother and Father in mid-stroke.
The little boy starts to tear, wetting the colors of the ground,
Mixing the colors of the painting,
Blank White for his cheeks, Black Sorrow for his hair
Calloused Flesh for his hands, Lost Bronze for his glare.

Years pass on by,
The little boy in the painting grows,
The masterpiece is sold, Again and Again
Never finding a permanent wall to hang on to or a sturdy frame to hold it
Losing all the colors of the world, as it starts to Rain and Rain
Mixing once again, acquiring the Watercolors of Abandonment.

Yet one day I find him,
Almost completely washed out,
I bring him up to My Attic, and paint him a Family
Pink Camellia for their cheeks, Dream Shadow for their hair
Sweet Flesh for their hands and Melting Auburn for their stare
And, though I have finished the painting, somehow it will never be,
What the Original Artist had envisioned, The Masterpiece.

ALM007This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 4, 2012 at 6:58 pm:
This is so sad and creative and awesome. I love the lines: "Losing all the colors of the world, as it starts to Rain and Rain/Mixing once again, acquiring the Watercolors of Abandonment." Nice use of repitition. Now I'll always wonder what Melting Auburn looks like.

ALM007This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 4, 2012 at 6:59 pm :
...I agree with this being your favorite poem. Not only is the poem great, but so is the story.

TheGreightGutzby replied...
May 9, 2012 at 12:01 am :
Hi there how have youve been, ive missed you. I remember I spent a whole school day writing a little portion of it every period and finishing it when i came home. My teacher forced me to enter a poetry contest with this poem and I actually won 1st prize with it to my surprise. I won a $10 gift card and I still have it to this day. I'm actually pretty proud of it.

May 11, 2012 at 2:38 pm :

Hey there urself! Ugh! Sorry I took a while to reply I had exams all week and thank God, today I got through the last one! Now just late work and finals! Missed you too. We should chat sometime....

Its a great poem, no joke and that's nice about the gift card. I have this box my uncle gave me full of sentimental objects. In case of a fire, I think I'd grab that, my laptop, my stuffed animals and my Bible. Well talk soon!