American Dream This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

so this is where all the dreaming takes me
to a cold, empty reality
with sleep still in my eyes
shivering, confused, I must’ve overslept
now it’s time to wake up
one last yawn, then face the lies
I’m barefoot and the streets are rough
paved with broken glass
but that’s okay
’cause the land is flowing
with milk and honey
bread and butter
and justice
if you just keep on going ...

Chepe L. said...
Jun. 10 at 1:35 pm
i loved this book  

mikeywazhere said...
Jun. 10 at 1:34 pm
i loved this book

Chepe L. said...
Jun. 10 at 1:31 pm
yes  

Rosie_Pearl said...
This is a really nice poem :) it was interesting read! However, the fact that only two lines rhyme puzzles me... other than that GREAT JOB!!! Also, I'd really appreciate if y'all would read some of mine

prab shah replied...
can u plz explain me this .......

BananaGram said...
Very good poem, portrays America perfectly. Keep up the good work!

Isibeal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great poem!! I love how it's so short, yet to the point, and meaningful

thezebrasgray This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is beautiful, truthful, and beautifully truthful. I also appreciate its simplicity. Good job!

writingriver05 said...
American Dream is a beatuiful poem. And also very true. Oh, if only it wasnt i think this world would be a much better place. Dont you agree?

Moodie.TheQUEEN said...
AWESOME. I can totally relate! This poem is amazing & it shows reality (:

L.E.Liza101 said...
I love it. It is amazing. 

TheoBV said...
Amazing. I loved it.

CarrieElizabeth said...
WOW. Beautiful beautiful beautiful.

pcullen79 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
great poem, i like how it is brief but communicates a longing for something more. it seems like you think in the same way i do as i could relate to this. keep writing stuff like this.

pencil led said...
I REALLY LIKED YOUR POEM I  THOUGHT THAT EVERYTHING WAS COOL AND INTERESTING. I ALSO NOTICED THAT YOU USED ASSONANCE AND METAPHORS, THEY AFFECTED ME BECAUSE IT HELPED ME UNDERSTAND IT A LITTLE BETTER.

Maranda D. said...
American Dream is a fantastic poem. This poem is really long sort of like a sonnet. It likede how at the end it was kinf of like a meter.

morizenbu said...
Jan. 30, 2012 at 1:17 am
Are you kidding me? This is not only overblown and grandiloquent, (American dream? Seriously? You pick the theme out of a hat or was it your own idea?), identifying it clearly as teen work, but your naively simple perception of gritty contrast and rhetoric grinds any momentum this theme may have had in the hands of someone more able to a halt! Some advice- poetry is about self expression. If you seriously hanker for somewhere where the land is flowing with justice you might want to consider your... (more »)

Padfoot507 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

woah there mr. critical, cool your jets :/ you forgot the "constructive" part in "constructive criticism"

-its a great poem! keep it up :)

raindance72 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 9, 2012 at 11:07 am
That morizenbu posted a semi-rude comment on one of my poems, too. His/her comments are just downers. On another note, I really enjoyed this. Keep up the good work! :)

writingriver05 replied...
I thought these posts were supposed to be positive about the poem besides this is a truly beatuiful poem how could someone downgrade it like that?