Twilight on Equality | Teen Ink

Twilight on Equality MAG

By Catcat BRONZE, New Paltz, New York
Catcat BRONZE, New Paltz, New York

"To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour."

It wouldn’t be an exaggeration to say that while reading Twilight I was “dazzled” (pun intended). Almost anyone alive for the past couple of months is certainly aware of the saga, which has received excited acclaim not only from teenagers worldwide but also such esteemed reviewers as The New York Times and Publishers Weekly. So why do I have a problem with it?

Twilight is about Bella Swan, a teen who moves to a new town and is immediately adored by everyone. She instantly has several men vying for her attention and a couple of pretty nice friends as well. Her adoration of classic books would imply that she is at least marginally intelligent. Then she meets Edward Cullen (who has a unique background that is not relevant here), and as their relationship grows, so does her obsession, until it consumes her. Seems harmless, right?

Actually, no. Bella is depicted as an evil temptress trying to persuade a morally honorable man into evil, while he attempts to keep their virtues intact. Succinctly, Edward and Bella are a modern Adam and Eve.

But the book goes further in asserting that women are inferior to men. Every time Bella is faced with a conflict and has to make a choice, Edward swoops in to save her, because apparently she can’t possibly decide on her own. He goes beyond protective to borderline abusive in Twilight, but Bella justifies it as “love” every time. When Edward dumps her for a couple months in New Moon, Bella ­becomes seriously depressed and dangerous to herself.

All the female characters in this series eventually portray similar helplessness. Even the first relationship introduced in the book – that of Bella’s ­mother and stepfather – is sexist. Bella expresses concern about leaving her mother, but then reasons that it’s okay now that Phil is looking after her.

What’s even more ridiculous is that many female readers look up to Bella! Her situation is idealized. After finding Edward, Bella is happy only when she is with him. She feels that he is her one true purpose in life. So what are girls who read the novels left wanting? Their own Edward, of course! Not only do they want one – they need one. The fact that so many intelligent young men and women have been sucked into the Twilight series and have swallowed its sexist manifesto has me worried about the future of gender equality.

I hope that this makes us all more aware about the messages we get while reading.

J. Rae said...
we can't lable a book sexist because Edward and Bella become dependant on eachother and Edward is just super overprotective.

J Rae said...
I agree that Edward is a LOT overprotective over Bella. But I'm afraid that Bella is helplessly prone to accidentally killing herself so naturally Edward gets protective. Just because a book has men that constantly save women doesn't mean that it's sexist.

remym said...
I'd be interested to get your feedback on my article, The Case Against Twilight. I read all the books, thought about it, and came up with no evidence that Bella is a) smart b) quick-thinking or c) a good role model. How smart is it really to date someone who keeps reminding you how hard it is not to kill you? Please do read it, I really am interested whether you agree or not.

Okay, firstly, this article is very well written and while some of the points are true I have to agree with BellaEzrebetFang that twilight is not sexist and even though Edwards behaviour with Bella may be seen as controlling it is necesary. She is in great danger from lots of diferent creatures and Edward loves her enough to try to protect her fom these. Also, I believe that if Stephenie Meyer had decided to make Bella a a male and Edward a female, it would have been exactly the same only because Edward is a vampire and is therefore much stronger than Bella. Twilight is not sexist at all and if fact I find Bella to be a fantastic hero for young girls today. She is brave, smart and quick thinking in the face of many unexpected difficulties (ie. her best friend being a werewolf, her boyfriend being a vampire and having many vampires who are constantly following/hunting her). Although certain aspects of Twilight may be seen as "sexist" I aadvise all those of you who believe this to take a second look. I believe you will find that it is the exact opposite.

EmelyJ GOLD said...
EmelyJ GOLD, Bronx, New York

"A mistake is not a mistake if you learn from it. If you learn from it, it's not a mistake, it's a lesson."

Exactly! My friend, everyone wants to find true love. It doesn't mean a person is sexist or bad if they want to find their love in this world. GO AHEAD AND SPEAK THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

remym said...
Exactly. Like he'll say do whatever makes you happy, and by the way, I'll be absolutely miserable if you do. Even though that means you won't really be happy.

EmelyJ GOLD said...
EmelyJ GOLD, Bronx, New York

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY SOMEONE REALIZES THE TRUTH! I totally agree! Women are just as good as men. AMEN, GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!!!!!

EmelyJ GOLD said...
EmelyJ GOLD, Bronx, New York

Good job, but I must say that I don't agree. Though you give amazing points, you must understand that the book isn't sexist. There are many parts throughout the entire saga that show women are just as good as men. For example, in "New Moon", Bella goes to Italy with Alice to save Edward from killing himself. Another example is in "Breaking Dawn" when Alice takes Jasper away from the Cullens in order to find another being like Rennesme in order to save her, the Cullens, the werewolves, and the other many vampires from death. There are many other examples, but if I continue, you may end up having a page length of a comment. My advice is to have all information needed when you chose to post an opinion.

staceync said...
i totally agree she does have a choice and if she chooses to go along so what and she saves edward in new moon on her own free will

wArm_FuZzies said...
This is a response to oneradgirl's comment beginning with "this is disgraceful to the author..." Although if I were an author and I would not like someone saying my writing is sexist, I'd have to agree with the author's point of you. The sexism I just pretty much ignore, but the point of all the readers wanting Mr. Perfect after reading the Twilight Saga, I'd have to agree with.

swim4ever SILVER, Carol Stream, Illinois

"you can throw in the towel or you can use it to wipe the sweat off your face"
"no one ever drown in their own sweat"

why would i want some one like edward (he is a little OCD and so is she) i wrather have someone like jacob who is more fun and outgoing

oneradgirl GOLD, Jackson, New Jersey

"If a writer wrote merely for his time, I would have to break my pen and throw it away" -Victor Hugo

this is disgraceful to the author, and to women who DO act like that. Bella does have choice, she just chooses to go along with her love, doing as he wants to make her safe. It's made apparent in the third and fourth books that she has a choice too. She does stuff Edward doesn't want her to do. Bella's mother, through her eyes, needs to be taken care of.. when in reality she's an adult and can care for herself without a guy there. The guy happens to make her mom happy and takes care of so Bella is grateful for that as she feels she has some sort of burden.

She's also no "evil temptress." She just wants to be with her love, no matter what it takes to make him say yes to doing something he didn't agree with but she did, which is what this storyline is all about. Romance. Which should make all you people who think she could live without Jacob or Edward look stupid. The novel is about her finding love and then being with her forbidden love, NOT about her finding happiness without love. Therefore she becomes depressed, as depressed as I would be if my love had left me like that out of the blue, especially with the way she burdened things upon herself. It was in her character.

Examples of "non-sexist" characters:

Alice and Jasper, Victoria and James, Rosalie, Esme

The guys are weaker than their partner, and the girls are stronger, and can be independent. It's a shame you think of it this way, because if you opened your mind to other opportunities and perspectives you would see that it could be looked upon as sexist but proven wrong, and could be looked upon other ways. NONE of them being right because the only perspective on the book that matters, is the person who wrote it.

YeseniaG SILVER, Livonia, Michigan

Life is what happens when you're busy making plans.

Personally I think that Twilight offered nothing to the story but a poor visualization. The acting wasn't great and the story was too rushed to fit into a movie. Basically, I think it was destined to not be good simply because of how important the timing of their relationship was. New Moon was better simply because the acting was better and let's be real: more people want more Edward than Jacob.

on Jan. 4 2010 at 11:50 am
SuPeRfLyy! BRONZE, Moore, Oklahoma

I mean worse than usual
:)
-ME

I think that's a good point; it's just like Edward has complete and total control over Bella, and -though Edward is always 'okay with whatever she chooses'- she always submits unto him. It just seems that Edward takes full advantage of Bella at every chance he can, because he knows how infatuated Bella actually is with him. The whole thing sickens me.

on Jan. 4 2010 at 6:29 am
xAllegria BRONZE, Singapore, Other

Ça fait tellement du bien d’aimer les gens qu’on aime, que ça finit par faire mal. Je sais pas comment on survit a ça. Non franchement, je sais pas. LOL (laughing out loud) ®, Lola.

I haven't read the entire book, though I've seen New Moon. From what I've read, it seems to me that Bella is not described in great detail, enabling female readers to 'step into her shoes'. And Edward, well, he's just 'perfect'.

Sexism has always been a pet peeve to me, I'm glad you pointed this out.

remym said...
on Jan. 1 2010 at 2:17 am
The problem is that very few people even notice that it's not actually ok that he goes through her room without her knowledge, disables her truck to keep her from leaving her home to see her friend, and generally treats her like his daughter, and then she faints when he touches her and constantly agonizes that she isn't deserving of him.

remym said...
on Jan. 1 2010 at 2:13 am
I completely agree. Please read mine: it's called The Case Against Twilight.

What many people don't seem to realize is that in New Moon, Bella saves Edward, not the other way around.

peace_love_beauty PLATINUM, Florien, Louisiana

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalms 23:4

This is so true!!! I completely agree, that's what I've beeen telling people!

on Dec. 30 2009 at 1:14 am
DeadlyPoppy PLATINUM, Chehalis, Washington

"Is mayonnaise an instrument?" -Patrick, Spongebob Squarepants

THANK YOU! I read the books, and I have my opinions about it on both the good and the bad sides, but it is neither the best nor the worst book I have ever read, so I understand what you mean about just letting it be! There are much better books to discuss and much worse books to trash!