Twilight on Equality | Teen Ink

Twilight on Equality MAG

By Catcat BRONZE, New Paltz, New York
Catcat BRONZE, New Paltz, New York

"To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour."

It wouldn’t be an exaggeration to say that while reading Twilight I was “dazzled” (pun intended). Almost anyone alive for the past couple of months is certainly aware of the saga, which has received excited acclaim not only from teenagers worldwide but also such esteemed reviewers as The New York Times and Publishers Weekly. So why do I have a problem with it?

Twilight is about Bella Swan, a teen who moves to a new town and is immediately adored by everyone. She instantly has several men vying for her attention and a couple of pretty nice friends as well. Her adoration of classic books would imply that she is at least marginally intelligent. Then she meets Edward Cullen (who has a unique background that is not relevant here), and as their relationship grows, so does her obsession, until it consumes her. Seems harmless, right?

Actually, no. Bella is depicted as an evil temptress trying to persuade a morally honorable man into evil, while he attempts to keep their virtues intact. Succinctly, Edward and Bella are a modern Adam and Eve.

But the book goes further in asserting that women are inferior to men. Every time Bella is faced with a conflict and has to make a choice, Edward swoops in to save her, because apparently she can’t possibly decide on her own. He goes beyond protective to borderline abusive in Twilight, but Bella justifies it as “love” every time. When Edward dumps her for a couple months in New Moon, Bella ­becomes seriously depressed and dangerous to herself.

All the female characters in this series eventually portray similar helplessness. Even the first relationship introduced in the book – that of Bella’s ­mother and stepfather – is sexist. Bella expresses concern about leaving her mother, but then reasons that it’s okay now that Phil is looking after her.

What’s even more ridiculous is that many female readers look up to Bella! Her situation is idealized. After finding Edward, Bella is happy only when she is with him. She feels that he is her one true purpose in life. So what are girls who read the novels left wanting? Their own Edward, of course! Not only do they want one – they need one. The fact that so many intelligent young men and women have been sucked into the Twilight series and have swallowed its sexist manifesto has me worried about the future of gender equality.

I hope that this makes us all more aware about the messages we get while reading.

on Dec. 30 2009 at 1:12 am
DeadlyPoppy PLATINUM, Chehalis, Washington

"Is mayonnaise an instrument?" -Patrick, Spongebob Squarepants

I believe the antagonist in Twilight is a male, James, but the antagonist in Eclipse would be Victoria, who is indeed a girl. And while you are right in saying that not all the characters in Twilight are sexist (you are certainly right about Alice and Jasper, for example), I must point out that while Edward is indeed weak in being a "slave to her blood" (very nicely put, by the way), he does step in every time she wants to see Jacob, as well as make most of her other decisions for her. Bella is also proved to be very weak, in that she practically commits suicide to have hallucinations of Edward after he leaves.

on Dec. 30 2009 at 1:06 am

I definitely see where you're coming from, in saying that what happens to Bella happens every day to real people, but real people don't put themselves in danger to see hallucinations of their boyfriends. And the point isn't that Bella seemed incapable of life without her boyfriend, but that so many people seem to have suffered with her (fans, I mean). Fangirls cried when Edward left and prayed for him to come back. While I'm sure they're out there, I have yet to talk to anyone who wished for Bella to find happiness and peace that didn't involve either Edward returning or Bella falling in love with Jacob.

on Dec. 30 2009 at 1:01 am

Wow. That article was truly inspiring. I believe everything you say. I hadn't thought about it as being sexist. But I had noticed what you said about Bella being a danger to herself. Many of my friends claim to have cried when Edward leaves Bella in New Moon. Why? Why should Bella not be able to function without Edward? People's hearts break, yes, but people get over it. Bella is an idiot if she simply shuts down like that, then goes right back to him, as if she is incapable of life without him. Also, the part about imprinting in the later books seriously bothers me. Not only does Jacob, a sixteen year old, fall instantly in love with a newborn baby, but Sam, who is in love with Leah, imprints on her cousin and marries her. Leah is one of the few characters in the series without a so-called "happy ending", and she is strong. While Bella is weak, Leah leaves Sam's pack and joins Jacob's. She is strong and independant, even if she's hurting because of Sam and being a werewolf. And Bella? Oh, her boyfriend left, so she practically commits suicide so she can have hallucinations of him. It's pathetic.

on Dec. 23 2009 at 9:24 am
I'm not a fan of twilight, though I am thoroughly aware of what it is about and who the main characters are. This article really speaks to me in ways. I admit, that I wouldn't label the novels are sexist per se, however I do understand the well crafted argument you have presented in this piece. It gives a whole different, and essentially invaluable perspective on the novels. Anyone interested in Twilight should definitely take the contents of this article into account before becoming a rabid fan of a series, that evidently, has a questionable presentation of women. Glad to see a refreshing and realistic report on the notoriously successful vampire series.

katie35 BRONZE said...
on Dec. 22 2009 at 12:43 pm
katie35 BRONZE, Centennial, Colorado

"Deep quote to make me seem wise." -a profound person

I don't necessarily believe that all the female characters in Twilight are inferior to the male characters. For instance, Victoria ends up alive in the end while James was ripped to pieces by Edward. The other female vampires in Edward's family seem to be equal. Rosalie and Emmet, Alice and Jasper, Carlisle and Esme.

I do agree with you when you say that Edward is an abusive boyfriend. He basically controls Bella's life and doesn't let her do what she wants. He says its "for her safety" but I think that kind of ends with him protecting her from other vamps. Edward is waaaay controlling.

on Dec. 20 2009 at 8:01 pm
SerenityMine BRONZE, Not Saying, California
Lol I've done that too but I only meant that people obsess over these books soo ridiculously... I can just see the SAT scores dropping, grades plummeting, the future of America going down the drain... :D

Snow!!! said...
on Dec. 18 2009 at 9:04 pm
I'll point out that in that case, Edward has an equally unhealthy obsession with Bella.

Snow!!! said...
on Dec. 18 2009 at 8:55 pm
Amen! Wouldn't you be upset too?

Snow!!! said...
on Dec. 18 2009 at 8:51 pm
Oh, also, for anyone who hasn't read a version of a part of New Moon from Edward's point of view, (it's in 'Outtakes' on Meyer's website), Edward goes into an even deeper depression than Bella at this point in the story. That may show their inability to function without eachother (a whole other matter), but it definitely does not show sexism.

Snow!!! said...
on Dec. 18 2009 at 8:44 pm
I don't agree or disagree that Bella would have a healthier relationship with Jacob; I think it just would have been different. And as to who would be better with Bella, as Meyer said on her website "you don't have to choose when it's fiction!"

Snow!!! said...
on Dec. 18 2009 at 8:39 pm
I think that another viewpoint that could come out of these book is that we now have a portrayal of a 'teenage' guy who is respectful and modest and extremely NOT OBNOXIOUS. I think that this has caused a lot of girls standards to go up when it comes to guys. And is that really such a bad thing?

Snow!!! said...
on Dec. 18 2009 at 8:21 pm
No offence, but tell that to every girl (or guy) who's ever written their crush's name across the front of their history notebook until the cover is no longer visible...

Snow!!! said...
on Dec. 18 2009 at 8:18 pm
Um, I just want to point out that Stephanie Meyer is Mormon. The heroines in her novels may be a reflection of her own personal beliefs.. but she also has some articles on her website that address this issue.. she explains that, as a writer, you cannot change the voice of your characters (which I totally get) and that she believes the fatal flaw in her heroine in The Host was her unwillingness to fight back or cause others pain.

Snow!!! said...
on Dec. 18 2009 at 8:11 pm
As a reader and lover of the whole saga, there were definitely times when I, as you put it, 'wanted my own Edward'. But what I mean by that is not 'I want this character to come alive so I can marry him'. Instead, I simply wished for "my version" of an Edward-- someone I would fall in love with, who could respect me as a person, and be just as much in love with me as I was with him. And is it so sexist for anyone, girl or boy to wish for that?

Snow!!! said...
on Dec. 18 2009 at 8:03 pm
Wow! thanks for this comment, I totally agree. When I read the books, I didn't read 'sexist', I read 'love makes Bella AND Edward do crazy things. Because the books are written from her view, sometimes it's hard to remember that he's just as weak (and in love) as her. I can see where the article's basis comes from, but I disagree.

on Dec. 17 2009 at 1:11 pm
JRudnicki SILVER, Lewisburg, Ohio

"My life is my message." -Unknown

Though I do agree with you on a few points, I have to disagree with you, too.

The thing that caught my attention was when you mentioned that Bella became depressed when Edward left her in New Moon. Need I point out that this happens EVERY DAY in reality.

People marry, divorce, and the next thing you know, one of them is in a mental institution for chronic depression. Why does this happen, you ask? It's something people (myself not included) call LOVE.

I have friends that have been with their boyfriends for 2 years+ and then the breakup happens and they're stuck in the same slumber Bella appears to be in. It does happen in reality.

If you would like to discuss further, please feel free to leave me a comment.

I'm a fan of Twilight, but I admire your intelligence.

on Dec. 17 2009 at 9:26 am
BellaEzrebetFang SILVER, Littleton, Colorado

"I write as I breathe because if I didn't I would die."

Twilight is not sexist at all, actually. Bella just HAPPENS to be the main character and just HAPPENS to be a normal girl. Her mom is a very strong and independent woman, and even though Bella chooses Charlie over her, it's just more of the fact that she wants to get away from her mom because she doesn't want to interfere with her relationship with the new man. And Alice is in control of Jasper most of the time. He is the weaker one if you really look at it right. Edward is the weaker one because he's stupid enough to even fall for Bella in the first place, a slave to her blood [which I would define as weaker] and even though Carlisle's a fairly intact character so is his wife who also has a lot of strong female qualities.

Not to mention the main antagonist of the story is a woman and a very powerful one at that.

Then in the next books, there's the volturi, mostly made up of men, sure. But their secret weapon is the little GIRL.

on Dec. 15 2009 at 3:37 pm
Wow i totally hate the twighlight series and the books should make the the list of top 10 worst books of all time

on Dec. 14 2009 at 8:39 pm
i personally love the twilight saga and i do understand the point of view of this article but the auther of this article is over reacting about bella so he need to chill out cuz its just a book and bella is just a character.

on Dec. 14 2009 at 6:39 pm
they're fans. some are a little overzealous, but that doesn't make all of us crazy, because people aren't modeling thier lives after Bella. And what wrong with having a high standard for who you date? That doesn't make you a bad person. And as for the Phil-Renee 'it's okay because he's there thing' is not because he's a guy, it's because she's no longer alone. Edward is a bit over-protective, because her best friend is a newly-changed werewolf with a temper and there is an army of crazy, bloodthirsty vampires after her! As for Rosalie-Emmett, Rosalie really is in charge of that relationship, and Alice and Jasper are dependent on each other, not just Alice on Jasper.