Twilight on Equality | Teen Ink

Twilight on Equality MAG

By Catcat BRONZE, New Paltz, New York
Catcat BRONZE, New Paltz, New York

"To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour."

It wouldn’t be an exaggeration to say that while reading Twilight I was “dazzled” (pun intended). Almost anyone alive for the past couple of months is certainly aware of the saga, which has received excited acclaim not only from teenagers worldwide but also such esteemed reviewers as The New York Times and Publishers Weekly. So why do I have a problem with it?

Twilight is about Bella Swan, a teen who moves to a new town and is immediately adored by everyone. She instantly has several men vying for her attention and a couple of pretty nice friends as well. Her adoration of classic books would imply that she is at least marginally intelligent. Then she meets Edward Cullen (who has a unique background that is not relevant here), and as their relationship grows, so does her obsession, until it consumes her. Seems harmless, right?

Actually, no. Bella is depicted as an evil temptress trying to persuade a morally honorable man into evil, while he attempts to keep their virtues intact. Succinctly, Edward and Bella are a modern Adam and Eve.

But the book goes further in asserting that women are inferior to men. Every time Bella is faced with a conflict and has to make a choice, Edward swoops in to save her, because apparently she can’t possibly decide on her own. He goes beyond protective to borderline abusive in Twilight, but Bella justifies it as “love” every time. When Edward dumps her for a couple months in New Moon, Bella ­becomes seriously depressed and dangerous to herself.

All the female characters in this series eventually portray similar helplessness. Even the first relationship introduced in the book – that of Bella’s ­mother and stepfather – is sexist. Bella expresses concern about leaving her mother, but then reasons that it’s okay now that Phil is looking after her.

What’s even more ridiculous is that many female readers look up to Bella! Her situation is idealized. After finding Edward, Bella is happy only when she is with him. She feels that he is her one true purpose in life. So what are girls who read the novels left wanting? Their own Edward, of course! Not only do they want one – they need one. The fact that so many intelligent young men and women have been sucked into the Twilight series and have swallowed its sexist manifesto has me worried about the future of gender equality.

I hope that this makes us all more aware about the messages we get while reading.

Auren_Lumdrum BRONZE, Alexander, Arkansas
Well said! I couldn't agree with you more. It makes me wonder about the author though... perhaps her views on men in her own life brought that into play? Or perhaps she wanted to create a cute love story where the main character is the damsel in distress? Anywho! Great work!

*Myrissa* said...
*Myrissa*, Phoenix, Arizona

"Whether you live in the past, thrive in the present or look to the future, your never a second away from happiness."

Your opinion is very strong and you back it up with plenty of evidence. only thats all it really is Opinions. theres no right and wrong. I enjoy reading everyones opinion in how they see things. i mean how someone can take something huge (ex. Twilight Saga) and disect it in their own manor. its amazing and interesting. i think in the end, it all comes down to what you believe, as an individual person. whether it be right or wrong its what you see as true and there is certainly nothing wrong with that. thank you for your outlook and the series it was extremely insightfull.

on Feb. 27 2010 at 8:16 am
magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."

I agree with you entirely. I've written an article about this myself, but I wasn't able to make such a strong point in so little words. Not only do I agree with everything you say in this article, but your writing style is impeccable. Great job!

Pudinii said...
Pudinii, Lexington, Mississippi
Five stars! :) I agree with you on most of it, but I disagree completely that Bella is an evil temptress. I also agree with the person who said you--and a ton of others--read into it too much.

literaryaddict PLATINUM, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"We're almost there and no where near it. All that matters is that we're going." Lorelai Gilmore, Gilmore Girls
"The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound." Lady Bracknell, The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde

yay! someone agrees with me. that rarely happens

Riley141 GOLD said...
Riley141 GOLD, Yale, Michigan

" Always do right. This will gratifiy some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain

I agree with this artical..alot. I think people get caught up in the "vampire" backround in the story. Also, Bella is soo.... dependent on Edward for what? I realy don't understand....But, anyways I realy liked the artical.

Green8a8 SILVER, NY, New York

im the author of my life, unfortunately im writing in pen therefore i can't erase nothing about it.-by some crazy friend of mine

right on lol

Green8a8 SILVER, NY, New York

i agree with you after all it is suppose to be int he point of view of a female, and int eh book she also tells how she wants to be a hero too and not just stand helpless, that she too wants to save him, which as we all know she does.

phoenixqueen GOLD, Idaho Falls, Idaho

"I cannot live without books."

exactly what i was thinking. i read books to enjoy them.

sasssgirrrl22 PLATINUM, Pearl River, New York

"Giving up is not a part of my vocabulary."
"Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."
"Truth be told I miss ya, truth be told I'm lying."

good point. my opinion was also just my opinion but i think the overanazlyzing was not all that much, but ha ya get it. its just a book for people to enjoy

on Feb. 18 2010 at 9:42 am
Gradschoolgrl, Boulder, Colorado

If there is no struggle there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation are men who want crops without plowing up the ground... Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. -Douglass

Wow! This is a really insightful response! I am a former English teacher, and I would be so excited to have read one of my own students taking up such important issues as how racism, sexism, and other forms of oppressive thought and behavior get perpetuated by the media and pop culture. Well written!

your reasoning and arguments are very good and i commend you on those!! you proprose opinions backed with facts from the book (which any English teacher will LOVE!) but it's quite a feminist view. while feminism isn't bad in and of itself, i think you're reading way too into the book just to shout "SEXIST!!" good work on the mechanics and vocabulary, though.

SlightlySarcastic BRONZE, Livonia, Michigan

"You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world... but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices." - John Green

I was obsessed with these books when I first read them, until I looked deeper and noticed the stuff you're talking about. Twilight definitely portrays Bella as helpless and weak, and Edward as a handsome Prince Charming swooping in to save her. Edward is overly controlling and has trust issues - in New Moon he goes as far as getting his entire family to essentially hold her against her will because he doesn't want her to see Jacob, on the grounds that he's dangerous, even though Bella was perfectly safe with him before. And Bella is crazily obsessed with him - not just in love but obsessed, because she pretty much crawls into a cave if he leaves her.

NineMuses PLATINUM, Pelham, New York

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
-Jack London

I do agree with this article. What many people commenting here do not seem to realize is that Bella is the person she is because Stephanie Meyer made her that way. I am skeptical about the "evil temptress" idea, and I do not think anyone will ever know what Meyer intended the message of the series to be. However, the fact that she left room for people to interpret it in the sexist manner your and many others have speaks volumes about the author, whether or not this was her intent.

Also, this is not the only reason that so many people dislike Twilight. Not only is the message (or any other message you see) shallow, her writing is unprofessional at best. The story has no depth to it, and the characters are rather 2-D. Additionally, she had some real potential to do something great with the ending of the story, and instead she chose a happily-ever-after Disney-esque ending where the only character we lost was one who never really had any emotion or sentiment attached to her, not to mention the fact that until that moment she was really portrayed as the one who almost brought destruction to the Cullens..

sanra SILVER said...
sanra SILVER, Far Rockaway, New York
"i thinkthe women put themselves in situation that only the men can help them with"

"the author makes it like that so we as readers an fans can look up to the men"

__i'm sorry, but that kind of sounds sexist.

Alpha-Lyrae GOLD, Toronto, ON, Other

"I've loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." -Galileo Galilei
"In the Beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

I wouldn,t call it overanalyzing. Overanalyzing is what you do in english class when you have to write a 5 page essay on the nonexistant relationahip between teo completly different books. Anywho, it's rather obvious to anyone who reads the books at a slightly deeper level (SLIGHTLY! it doesn't take an english teacher) what is said in the article. Just my opinion......

on Feb. 17 2010 at 8:35 am
4Lindsey16 BRONZE, Point Of Rocks, Maryland

"I bit a pillow...or two." -Edward Cullen
"I can't help but notice how well toned your abdomen is." -Me and my best friend Emma
"Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica." -Jim Halpert

This is in agreement with pheonixqueen. I in no way agree with the article.

Bluegirl said...
on Feb. 17 2010 at 12:23 am
While this article has some extreme statements (ex evil temptress, I'd hardly describe a girl as fragile/helpless as Bella to be evil) I generally agree with the author when she says Twilight has sexist undertones. The media has addressed but generally ignored this and I think it should be discussed more openly. Also, the fandom has gotten way out of hand, in extreme cases crazed fans are starting to harass, beat, and even injure non fans (my source, take a look, it's kind of funny at first but generally very sad: http ://twilightsucks.proboards .com /index.cgiboard=fangirls&action=display&thread=5175). I tried to read Twilight but just never got into it and I dislike Stephanie Myers writing style, there is way too much detail in some places and not enough in others. I guess it just depends on what kind of writing style you prefer, for example I really enjoy Jodi Picoult's and J.K Rowling's writing :D. Anyways, it was a well written article over all and I applaud you for going against the grain and stating your opinion even though it's different from others. That takes guts girl.

I completely agree. This is not only with books either, but movies, and children shows! People go way into detail and try to figure things out, when it is completely unnecessary.

maria_b07 said...
on Feb. 13 2010 at 3:23 am
well, yeah I also think that Twilight is oh so over rated. specially the movie.It just fell short of my expectations since everyones been goshing about it and the book is so much better. I think that we love Bella swan because we can totally relate to her and she makes it seem that our disabilities are okay-normal. but as we love her, we should not just accept our weakness. There's always room for improvements for a stronger us. take it from my experience:)