Poetry, a Lost Art | Teen Ink

Poetry, a Lost Art

By krystan saviola SILVER, Niagara Falls, Other
krystan saviola SILVER, Niagara Falls, Other

Among the Centuries and decades passing, the main essence of poetry has slipped away. In today's society poetry is not the artwork of what it once was. The appreciation of this craft has been lost with the times. In modern day poetry is neglected, taken for granted. The originality and passion that once strung together words of inspiration and uplifting are gone. Once within the folds of literary genius was the very craft of poetry, but now that seems to be longer.

Poems are the craft of words, communication in a different form that portrays depth and meaning. Poetry was a sacred art; it was once an outlet full of emotion. Now it's an overused theory being cast away, so easily being thrown aside and disposed of. I find it ironic how it is so overused yet overlooked. Take for example Shakespeare who's an acclaimed poet but due to the over exposure of his masterpieces, readings of his work are dreaded. The main appreciation of his beloved writings have been disregarded.

The great poets finding glory from their writings are now forgotten. Classics like 'The Raven' are no longer recognized. People do not claim the fame now that they once did from their work. Although it may still be present in the lives of certain people and establishments dedicated to it, as a society it is lost leaving an empty space where once literary greatness resided.

We no longer appreciate literature like we once did. Technology has pushed the originality of literature aside. With the development and increasing pace of technological reproduction comes my theory that we as a society are lazy. We are so blinded by our toys of technology that we cannot recognize nor do we want to any outlets of emotional creativity. It is in technology we block out the world and lose interest in others. Not only are we lazy but we are selfish. We cannot take the time and effort to listen to others work and really why should we in an era where to get ahead is to beat out the competition.

Reality seems to have left poetry behind leaving with it a shadow. This is the shadow that sweeps through high school classrooms, book stores, and the media. It drags on behind the school curriculum only by a thread, the poetry section if any is limited in bookstores, and in the media it is unseen and unheard. It is evident that poetry is missing and unfortunately unmissed.

It is not only this. Hectic and chaotic lifestyles have taken over. It seems that society has conspired to take away our privacy. No one has time to just sit and read a poem. I once read that poetry was the sign of poverty in an art form and I can't agree more. When was the last time you heard a poem that challenged and inspired you far beyond any recognition. Today's poems leave us hungry and craving for more of an intellectual stimulation.

No one recites poetry just to recite it. They don't do it to hear their words flow to create a beautiful literary masterpiece. People hide their poems. They cover them up in their diaries, journals, notebooks, and sheets of paper long discarded and forgotten.

The poems that once inspired, uplifted, captivated and held the attention of many is no more. Over the years the great poetry that filled the hearts and flooded the souls of many were pushed aside taking along with them the great poets who dedicated their lives to their work now leaving it worthless in today's world.

People say that today's poets are in the music industry. Lyrics are the modern day poetry yet lacking the thing that made poetry special. I find this wrong, those people are passionate about music not poetry, and without the music there words lack the finesse that poetry has. Thus to me music although inspirational to many is not poetry.

Poetry needs to once again capture their audience. The need for originality in poetry is not wanted it is necessary. The problem is we've been writing the same way for so long that modern day poems do not capture the way things are and how they have drastically changed and continue to change.

I am disappointed with the modern day poets and our society. I do not find wisdom and uplifting in my time of need. I must go though the ages to find the work that I can say is truly beautiful and inspirational. I blame this on poets themselves. The art is no longer an outlet of emotion it is an attitude. It is nothing more then a bad hair day and another breakup, a bad mood strung into choppy words.

Today we should be taking intellect and opinion and share ours. The free thought is such a beautiful thing especially when put into poetry. Poetry is more then an art to some it is a way of life, a beacon of light. It is what gives many people like I hope and inspiration. It connects people and displays compassion and understanding. It holds sympathy and empathy in time of need. It rids us of loneliness showing that once someone felt the same way that we do. This will all be lost if the repression of poetry continues.

555 said...
555, E_, Florida
R I C A R D O

555 said...
555, E_, Florida
i like salsa more than guacamole

thank you for your feedback i'm glad that I am not the only one who feel this way

TheFitfulFire BRONZE, Houma, Louisiana
I wholeheartedly agree with you. Many "modernist" poets are just throwing half-hearted pieces onto a page. Too many in poetry and prose write from their head with rules of their heart, instead of true poetic form, writing from their heart with rules from the head.