Coach, I hate to tell you but... | Teen Ink

Coach, I hate to tell you but...

I feel that these days, school sports are way to hardcore. I mean, practices are way to often and you are not allowed to ever miss. They say you have to have good grades to play, but how is studying possible when you are at practice all of the time? Family issues are way more important to me and I need time to be a teenager. So seriously, give us some days off!!! Who's it gonna kill???? I love sports, and I'm gonna stick with them, but I just wish they were a little less important. You know? What ever happened to, "It's just for fun" & "Winning isn't everything" huh?

I was inspired to write this because I seriously need a break!

on Dec. 14 2011 at 12:12 pm
b.ballgal16@gmail.com BRONZE, Toronto, Other
Reading this I relize how lucky I am to play on the team I play on. Our coach is hard on us, we run, we work, we sweat but we have fun. Our coach, like any coach wants to win but more than that he wants US to feel good about how we played. If one of us says we are sick, he'll sit us. He is our biggest cheerleader, he'll pick us up when we lose, boost us higher when we win. He is my second father.

on Feb. 25 2010 at 6:15 pm
beyond_love_x SILVER, Spring City, Pennsylvania

"Music gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."

I agree completely! It is ALL about winning these days, and I even quit my school soccer team because it was no longer fun. It was all about making it to the top and being the best. Everything is a competition these days and has nothing to do with fun. With all this competition I fear that us teenagers are forgetting what it means to have fun and be a kid.

devygirl1992 said...
on Feb. 21 2010 at 4:40 pm
Exactlyyy!

on Feb. 20 2010 at 5:18 pm
Only if a coach would actually read this and get it through their heads

youknoowww7 said...
on Feb. 20 2010 at 1:56 pm
This is sooo true!

on Feb. 17 2010 at 6:32 pm
AngelGal07 GOLD, Ferndale, Washington

"If you do not love God then you do not know God for God is love" 1 John 4:8

i know what you mean!