Why Write? | Teen Ink

Why Write?

February 2, 2009
By EmilyLupfer GOLD, Tallahassee, Florida
EmilyLupfer GOLD, Tallahassee, Florida
10 articles 0 photos 8 comments

'Why do you write?' That is a question many high school journalists and author wannabes commonly receive. You have an English paper due and a book report that needs work. To top it all off, an Algebra final is lurking just around the corner. Why would you want to spend any little free time you have doing what you do in school?

In context, it's not a bad question. Why sit down to your computer once again after a long day of frightening oral components and dissecting thirty-three sentences into direct objects, indirect objects, and prepositional phrases? Isn't it just like doing more school work? Why would any teenager, in their right mind, want to do that?

The reasons are simple, but many. I know that I enjoy writing for the creative aspect. As much as I enjoy writing, book reports, essays, anything that involves school, really, is torture. Pure torture. Why? You are simply stating what you've learned. You're proving to your instructor that you aren't a bad kid after all, and you actually know what you are talking about. You aren't completely tuning them out during phone conversations and tutoring sessions. While I'm not denying that writing assignments all have a purpose and help us with our courses, most of them don't require creativity, personal expression, or imagination. When you aren't required to do it, writing is exciting, fun, and really enjoyable.

Another reason why I enjoy writing is the challenge. You may be thinking, 'What?' You sit down and slap a few random words on paper ' how hard can that be? However, there is so much more to it than that. It starts with an idea and within your mind grows into a plot or hard-hitting story. After that, characters must be developed or interviews scheduled and outlines made. Even after words are on paper and your work may seem finished, the editing of that first draft is just beginning. It may all seem like a cinch, but with a big writing project it takes a lot of dedication, passion, and interest in what you are writing about. However, it is all worth it with that great sense of accomplishment when you finally finish that never-ending novel or a nearly impossible article.

The great thing about writing is that anybody can do it. Now I'm not saying that you will win the Nobel Prize on your first time out. But, no matter what culture, age, or gender you may be, you have a voice and can choose to share it with the world ' or at least your family and friends. It doesn't matter if it doesn't rhyme or sound as descriptive as you first pictured it. At least you tried and ' hopefully ' had fun doing it. The good news is it will be even better the next time around.

So, for those of you that feel a story inside of you that may never get out unless you unleash your inner writer, I encourage you to step outside of your comfort zone and spend tonight typing away instead of spending the night in the presence of the television. Writing is better than American Idol, right? Why watch performers when you can become one through your characters and writings? For those of you that think I am nuts, you may as well work on that report titled 'Why Phytoplankton are Important.'

So to answer the question, 'Why do I write?' I write to get my thoughts out, I write to have a chance to be creative, I write for the opportunity to meet new people, and most importantly I write because of how much I enjoy it.