My Religion This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I have a magnet on my mirror stating, “Life is not about finding yourself – life is about creating yourself.” This is the statement I live by.

Many people do not believe me when I say I am an atheist. They don’t understand that I simply do not believe in any sort of god or afterlife. I also do not believe in the devil, in angels, or in souls. I believe in myself and the strength I have gained through the help of my parents, teachers, and friends – and my own hard work.

I am not going to try to dissuade anyone from his or her own opinions either. I know that people enjoy having religion in their lives; some need their faith to help them through hard times. And some do not want the responsibility of their misfortunes weighing down on their shoulders.

I do. I abhor the idea of fate – that everything is already planned out and you have no control to change anything. If you believe in fate, when bad things happen, it is not your fault; it’s just fate. When my life is not going well, I know that it is no one’s fault but my own. When I do well in school, when I fall in love, it is not fate and we are not soul mates. I worked hard and paid attention and did the homework. My love and I simply love each other – that is all it is, and for me that is all it needs to be.

For some, life is overwhelming. How can anyone be successful and happy in such a difficult, horrible world? They need someone to help them, someone to guide them, and someone to have faith in to make sure things get better. Placing my success and happiness in another’s hands breaks my heart. I need to be successful because of my efforts. I must be responsible for my own happiness. That is what I need from my religion.

Who will ever know what the truth really is? All I know is in the same way that some have full faith and trust in God to give them hope, I need to believe I am on my own to be truly happy – for how can I create myself if I spend my entire life just looking?

kaykayv35 said...
I think you wrote a good article. But i disagree with the whole atheist thing.

Mr.Brightside said...
I completely agree. If people put thier lives into "fate", they are only setting themselves up to be dissappointed. Also,if people spend tons of time trying to find themselves, they'll waste their life away, since you have to create yourself first.

Sue Y. said...
I understand your feelings and no one has the right to make you believe in something. Its your life and your suppose to be the one that chooses how you live and what you believe in. There are many religons and you never know if its real or not. Your just gonna have to believe in it or yourself. But if something changes your heart or your belief, most likely your heart has been changed. Thats what religon is.

SallySunshine said...
not bad

zeppelin4ever said...
i understand what ur saying but i dont understand the fact that you say that if you beleave in god then you almost dont beleave in your self?

missacrot/writer said...
Jan. 14, 2009 at 7:39 am:
ok i get what u are saying that you believe in only yourself.though you make it sound like people who have faith dont believe in themeselves. im a christian and i get what your saying that if you make your own choices good or bad. i think god puts us into situations and we are suppose to make a choice. trust me i know a lot of christians who have screwed up their lives.but you mkae it sound like religion is tool being used wrong.when its having faith just like you have faith in yourself

Word Angel said...
Jan. 5, 2009 at 2:35 am:
That is so me. You and I are alike in most of what you wrote!

singer365 said...
This was a well attempted article, but you may want to check who created the universe before you say you created who you are today. You may have decided you want to be, but have you ever given any thought to who God wanted you to be?

JeSuSLovesUS said...
To yepinathiest, no one is looking down upon anyone here. Except for God, who who watching over us. Believers are just trying to show nobelievers how much God loves them. And it is so hard to explain. His love for us is bigger than anything that can be explained in human terms. But once you let him into you heart, you can feel how much He loves you and cares about you.

lunafunmonkey said...
To nodiscriminate, I agree with bookworm013. I believe in the same thing. No one is trying convert anyone here. That is not what I see. I see so many opininions that are from many different creations of God. That is just what I see, though. To Sarah M, I just want to tell you that I care about you, even though I don't know you. And I'll be praying for you. I'm just trying to show you what God is all about. I don't know if you have given him a chance or not, but I pray that you answer His call. Y... (more »)

Imagine said...
Jan. 1, 2009 at 3:17 am:
Very, very nice. Perhaps the greatest thing about your article is that you knew as you were writing it, that you'd take the heat from any religious person. And that, my friend, is true bravery. You said what you meant without beating around the bush. And it's true, religion is a crutch. If you don't need it, why carry it?

destinee said...
Dec. 31, 2008 at 8:36 am:
Well written, quite balanced. Good job. Hopefully you'll be successful in this life. The afterlife---well, I'd advise you to read one of Harun Yahya's books. Very enlightening.

Dead_Eyes said...
Dec. 27, 2008 at 4:00 am:
I like this peice, like many of the others. I realy dont have a religion yet. I am still trying to figure out what and if I believe in anything.

mylordisJesus said...
That was a e=well written artical, and I liked how it was well balanced. But I also strongly disagree with what you are saying, see I have a problem with people who say they "crated who they are today", because in actuality you didn't. How can we stubid little humans create who we are when we wouldn't know anything unless God gave us a brain, and intellagence to do things? I'm not trying to change what you believe, but I pray you will find TRUTH. God Bless

lunafunmonkey said...
Dec. 30, 2008 at 2:45 am:
The universe is not all a cold, dark, and lonely place. If you search for real Truth, you will find it. And truth will live in your heart and when you cry, it will comfort you. When you fall, it will catch you. When you don't know what to do or say, Truth will tell you. When you find Truth you will understand, even if you don't know everything. God Bless You.

BlueRain replied...
Dec. 20, 2011 at 7:10 pm :

But the truth is not the same for everyone.

If you are saying the Bible is the truth, how do you know?

artofthedeath said...
One after another seem to flock towards this poem. They see it's interesting uniqueness, and see what they want to change in you, what they want to keep. I do no such thing.
I am not Athiest, Wiccan, Jew, Protestant, Hindu, Buhddist or Mormon or Muslim.
I am Catholic.
And I see you saying that all you need is to know you are on your own. I am not a foolish one who wants to "bring you to the lord". I don't want to try to make you "saved". I would die if I was... (more »)

destinee replied...
Nov. 21, 2009 at 7:58 pm :
Haha, this is so funny--I just posted basically the exact same thing that you said in your postscript. I shouldn't have bothered, I guess.

greenlight said...
Dec. 13, 2008 at 8:01 am:
I saw your article in a past issue of Teen Ink and it was seriously the best one in the whole entire thing. You're a great writer and I could relate to you so much. The best part was that you were respectful to those with a religion. I'm totally the same way (except I could never write my ideas out that well) and it was nice to know I'm not the only one.

Shay16 said...
Dec. 13, 2008 at 4:23 am:
I agree with you 110%. I don't judge people who are extremely religious- I have several friends who are devoted Christians. I simply don't think that I should depend on something that might not even exist to guide me through life. I believe that we create our own destinies, and that "fate" and "God" have nothing to do with it. If God is so great and loves us so much, why is there so much pain in life? Why isn't Earth a Camelot?
People invented religion. People wrote bi... (more »)