My Religion This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I have a magnet on my mirror stating, “Life is not about finding yourself – life is about creating yourself.” This is the statement I live by.

Many people do not believe me when I say I am an atheist. They don’t understand that I simply do not believe in any sort of god or afterlife. I also do not believe in the devil, in angels, or in souls. I believe in myself and the strength I have gained through the help of my parents, teachers, and friends – and my own hard work.

I am not going to try to dissuade anyone from his or her own opinions either. I know that people enjoy having religion in their lives; some need their faith to help them through hard times. And some do not want the responsibility of their misfortunes weighing down on their shoulders.

I do. I abhor the idea of fate – that everything is already planned out and you have no control to change anything. If you believe in fate, when bad things happen, it is not your fault; it’s just fate. When my life is not going well, I know that it is no one’s fault but my own. When I do well in school, when I fall in love, it is not fate and we are not soul mates. I worked hard and paid attention and did the homework. My love and I simply love each other – that is all it is, and for me that is all it needs to be.

For some, life is overwhelming. How can anyone be successful and happy in such a difficult, horrible world? They need someone to help them, someone to guide them, and someone to have faith in to make sure things get better. Placing my success and happiness in another’s hands breaks my heart. I need to be successful because of my efforts. I must be responsible for my own happiness. That is what I need from my religion.

Who will ever know what the truth really is? All I know is in the same way that some have full faith and trust in God to give them hope, I need to believe I am on my own to be truly happy – for how can I create myself if I spend my entire life just looking?

WeLiveForScarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 21, 2011 at 11:53 am
Religious tolerance is what we need.

gatch27 replied...
YES! Tolerance, for sure!

Steph0804 replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 5:49 am
YES YES YES! YOU HIT IT RIGHT ON THE NAIL!

Kate K. said...
your religion is a beautiful thing. be who you want to be. :)

WerewolfWriting said...
I am very impressed with how open you are - the atheists I know are closed up and and angry and whenever I ask they go into a huge speech like I was taunting them or something. Although I think God created everything, I respectfully enjoy your piece.

noname37014 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:33 am
It's really great to see someone put this to words without being agressive. I am an atheist, but I don't want everyone to think I believe they are all stupid for having a religion

WindDancer replied...
So true! "To each his own", you know?

Topaz97 said...
This is a great piece of writing for many reasons...you strongly state your opinions without bashing others, you write truthfully, and write artistically. I respect your opinions, even if I disagree.

Ehwaz11 said...
Feb. 5, 2011 at 8:50 am
thank you for backing up your opinion passionately, articulately, and respectfully. great mantra!

coribelle777 said...
thank you for being very considerate of other religions while stating your opinion.  it really gave your point more credibility and i truly appreciated your work. keep up the great work!

Navi-Talmid-Shel-Seraphim said...
I personally don't care if anyone attacks me, but this is what I think as a Chris.tain: secularism is the poison to the world. It teaches lies and phony stuff in the world. It brainwashes the weak into believing that there is no God in the universe. There is a God and His name is Jehovah (or Iehovah), He is full of Mercy, Love, and Grace. But get Him on His angry side and you will see His wrath. His wrath in unfathomable.

T.R.Trevino replied...
I am hapy for you that you believe so strongly. but be mindful of what you say. People do not appreciate being called weak.

TeaCat replied...

Seraphim: I know that you've been reported and whatnot multiple times for your religious beliefs, and, hey, I think that's cool that you care! :) But I don't like how you are visibly pushing your beliefs on others. Being Wiccan, and not believeing in one Christian God, I get a lot of people telling me that their way is the only way... and that irks me.  

But I think your persistence in expressing your opinion (even though you do it rather rudely, at times) is very admirable, and I... (more »)

BlueRain replied...
Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:17 am
How can you be FULL of mercy, love, and grace, and then have wraith? That's a contradiction...

cr8artchick said...
Well, at least you apply a fundamental teaching of religion, love. to your life. I've read many articles on pro- and con religion, and am glad that you explained your reasoning rather that pointing fingers the whole time.

Vital_Critic said...
no, we are not. Religion is almost a way of control, created thousands of years ago when people could not explain things. Now that we have advanced, and can explain many things, we dont need this religion to help us understand. Religion is a waste of time, a way to make a priest molesting a child look acceptable, a way to keep a patriarchal society, a way from keeping people achievingtheir dreams. Let people do what they want, and keep religion out of it.

Kesslee S. replied...
yes why must religion be in everything? religion is a way for someone to control others livves without it being so.

Navi-Talmid-Shel-Seraphim replied...

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." -John 3:16 

There is only ONE GOD and his name is JEHOVAH. I disagree, and pray you get it right.

Vital_Critic replied...

I dont need You to pray for me Navi. I am fine the way i am. Get it right even Indiana Jones knows that Jehovah  is spelled with an "I".

leafy replied...
ok navi, you don't need to be all preachy about it. i believe in a god, but i don't yell at everyone who doesn't. and while the author's views might be different than mine, i can at least appreciate that its a good piece of writing.