Evolution in Schools | Teen Ink

Evolution in Schools

By sydthekid BRONZE, Lewistown, Ohio
sydthekid BRONZE, Lewistown, Ohio

Replace fear of the unknown with curiosity.

America was founded on Christian principles. Just generations ago Biblical ideas were being taught in schools. Although we are known as a Christian country, religious ideas in public places are frowned upon or replaced. Now, scientific theories- evolution and the big bang- are being taught as fact to students across the nation. This is a growing problem because evolution is not a fact, only a weak theory based on misinterpreted evidence.

There are two types of evolution being taught. One type, also known as natural selection or species adaptation, is when specific changes occur in one species. According to Roger Patterson, author of Evolution Exposed, natural selection is how a species changes, or evolves, in short periods of time. For example, one breed of dog evolved slightly to create the many different breeds of dogs we have now. This makes sense. Why? All dogs are similar to each other. You could say the same for birds, fish, cats, or any other animal. However, the theory of evolution says every living thing on the earth- plants, humans, animals and microscopic organisms- originated from only one organism. This is unrealistic. Natural selection can be tested and observed. On the other hand, the theory of evolution should not be taught as logical, evident factual information because it has not been scientifically proven as most of the non-Christian scientific world would tell you.

Along with evolution, a theory for the origin of life, we have the Big Bang Theory, a theory for the origin of our universe. According to Dr. Jason Lisle, author of The Ultimate Proof of Creation, the Big Bang is a “rapid expansion of space and energy from a single infinitesimally small point, energy cooled and became matter, which condensed into stars and galaxies.” A simple explanation? Nothing expanded and then exploded creating the universe. This theory is contradictory to the 1st Law of Thermodynamics, which we are taught in physics. The law states that matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed, they are constant. School textbooks teach us the Big Bang really happened, but how could it have happened? The same textbooks say that matter and energy cannot be created. How can nothing form something? It can’t.

However, the creation of our universe can make sense if though about differently. “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth.” An infinite and holy being, like the Christian God, would be able to create matter and energy because He has the power to do so. As a student, why am I learning theories only to find out they are proven false chapters later in my textbook?

One thing that must be understood is that evolution is a historical theory- an explanation of past events based on the interpretation of evidence that is available in the present. The theory of evolution can not be tested or observed, but many scientists believe we can still understand how it happened. Biblical creation is also a historical theory- you cannot conduct scientific experiments to prove whether it is true or false. For science to be fact it has to be proven true using observations and experiments. As evolution cannot be observed or experimented on, It can never be deemed true. Evolution should be taught as a theory, not fact. False interpretations of the so-called evidence for the theory of evolution, even though commonly being “discovered” by the scientific world, rarely if ever, make it to the classrooms since schools use the same textbooks for many years.

Evolution uses the same evidence for its “truth” as creation does. The argument comes down to the interpretation of the evidence. The same facts that support evolution can support creation. We all have the same earth, same animals, same rocks, and same plants. Consider fossil bearing rock layers. A creationist would say it’s a result of the Genesis flood, whereas an evolutionist would say the area used to be a river and it eroded over millions of years. It’s the same evidence, but interpreted differently.

Evolution is a popular origins theory that is taught to students all over the country. It hasn’t been proven nor can it be. It is a view of the world’s creation. Just like I can’t force my views of creation on you, I shouldn’t have theories I don’t believe in taught to be in the classroom as if they were absolutes.

Works Cited
Boehler, Joey. “Institute of Apologetics”. Awake and Alive Youth Group. Grace Chapel
Christian Union, Wapakoneta, Ohio. 21 June, 2009.

Ham, Ken, ed. The New Answers Book 2. Green Forest, Arkansas: Master Books, 2008. Print.

Lisle, Jason. Ultimate Proof of Creation. Green Forest, Arkansas: Master Books, 2009. Print.

New International Version. Zondervan, ed. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan, 2000. Print.

Patterson, Roger. Evolution Exposed. Hebron, Kentucky: Answers in Genesis, 2007. Print.

I wrote this for my English class. We were told to write a paper on a subject we were passionate about.

Chloe123 said...
It makes me so angry how religion takes advantage of young people. Just because you are young and haven't had time to learn the theories and science of evolution and nature, religion is able to swoop in and take advangtage of it. Three words: "God created everything". Oh. How simple. How clear and elegant and perfect. But that isn't how things work. This universe cannot be summed up in three words, it is tempting to try but no. Religion was created as an explanation, an explanation for life and death. It acted as a substitute for science. And a way to instill morality through fear. I understand why a child would believe in God. It's such a nice, simple explanation. It is very difficult to understand the complex theories and data sets and studies that support evolution. When you're a child, they assume you are too stupid to understand such complex scientific theories and feed you religion instead. It's easier that way but it isn't fair. People in the lowest income bracket are seventeen percent more likely to be religious than people in the highest income bracket. This is because people with more wealth can afford to understand the details of evolution and can dedicate their time to it. They feed the simple explanation of God to people who will believe it. And it is so hard to teach someone who has been taught from birth the concept of God and religion that it isn't true, and it feels evil to try and convert them. Conversion in general is taboo and I understand why. I think it is everyone's own business what they believe and other people's beliefs shouldn't be forced down one's throat (such as creationism in public schools) but I also believe that it does need to be talked about-- the fact that there is a disparity in this country and poorer people are being tricked into fearing God. This is probably insulting to many, many people, but I feel that it should be said. Times are changing and more and more people are understanding science now that we have to tools to explain it. Religion was a substitute for science, but now that we can learn real science we should take advantage of it. And I encourage everyone to take a stab at understandind the science before they take the easy route of believing in something that provides a fantasy explanation. If you do, you could consider believing in Greek gods or scientology instead because those explanations are just as rational and valid as Christianity and it would at least provide a bit more diversity for our nation.

on May. 28 2014 at 12:26 am
JesusandHisLawyers SILVER, Austin, Texas

"who the fuck has a favorite personal quote what does that even mean" - me, just now.

Okay but dude: Evolution is back up by science (and if you have evidence disputing that, step up to claim your Nobel prize) and creationism is purely religion. The public school system is strictly secular. 

CharleyLatta BRONZE, Salem, Massachusetts

"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." -- Mother Theresa

But supposedly the Bible was written by the Holy Spirit part of god so.... it would probably know.

Contemplator SILVER, Lake Park, Minnesota

There is a rainbow in your mouth! Open it up and show the world.
This is just like ice cream without the cream.
I'm as stiff as a dried out twig in the middle of winter.
Who lit the forest fire; the match, or the man holding the match?

Since when did creationsim became a religion? Christianity is a relgion (some say its a relationship, but I don't see the difference). We aren't saying christianity should be taught in schools, we are saying creationism should taught with equal dilegence.

Christianity can not be taught. It can only be lived. We just want creationism to be taught. It also can be true and has equal, if not, more substantial evidense for it than evolution as shown in this article.

it cannot be created or destroyed involuntarily or voluntarily by anything that is any form, energy. That is anything in physical form. God, however, is not bounded by the laws of nature and is not physical, but spiritual.

deathward22 said...
deathward22, Los Alamos, New Mexico

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." mark twain

my question is simple, you say energy and matter can not be created or destroyed, then how did "god" created the universe because by that logic he couldn't create the universe because he cant create matter or energy.

Dreamboat said...
Dreamboat, Madison, Wisconsin

My name is Indigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die.

I am sorry but a theory is the highest standing an idea can have, gravity and cells, are still theories. This is from the National Academy of Sciene,

"Some scientific explanations are so well established that no new evidence is likely to alter them. The explanation becomes a scientific theory. In everyday language a theory means a hunch or speculation. Not so in science. In science, the word theory refers to a comprehensive explanation of an important feature of nature supported by facts gathered over time. Theories also allow scientists to make predictions about as yet unobserved phenomena"

This is the difinition of a Theory and  much is know about evolution and nothing has disproven it, so it is clearly a theory. Creationism on the other hand has been disproven by many expiraments and is a direct take from on of the oldest fiction stories on earth. And please before telling me to learn more, take the time to do it yourself.

Dreamboat said...
Dreamboat, Madison, Wisconsin

It would be funny to see science classes turn into History lessions.

bookthief PLATINUM, Concord, Massachusetts

"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser." -- John W. Gardener

I think the issue here is that most of these people are advocating that we teach Judeo-Christian-Islamic creationism in schools. To truly separate church and state, one would have to teach every form of creationism/every creation myth ever. If one could be true, we must give the same respect to all. Perhaps, to those of you who say that evolution has little proof, it is because evolution is the only major non-religious theory there is that it is the idea taught in schools.

Creationism as it is literally described in the Bible is actually not considered to be a scientific theory per se because a theory is an "if-then" statement. I suppose you could have it be a "if God exists then he created animals" type thing, but honestly, though I think that creationism is a fascinating idea and I do believe in God, it doesn't discuss how a species could die out or how new ones could come up; for instance, dinosaurs? Also, for one to take creationism scientifically literally, one would have to take the entire Bible scientifically literally, and though there is much proof for certain parts of the Bible, it is extremely improbable to the point of disbelief that the entire thing is accurate.

NobodyYouKnow BRONZE, Princeton, Massachusetts
Wnen the Bible was written, nobody knew about dinosaurs.

TerraAnimusPatronus BRONZE, Eden, North Carolina

«You are either the best kept secret or just surrounded by blind people.»

I was reading some of the comments if he created everything why was there dinosuars we didnt live with dinosuars where do they tie into the Genesis explaination of life can some one answer this i am confused cause the bible says nothing about dinosaurs

In the Bible God created something from nothing maybe he created the big bang and evolution he is God after all

on Feb. 3 2012 at 8:05 am
Evolution has many times been proven. It works with genetics. So you don't believe in genetics? You seem not to understand the concept of evolution, and therefore should not be attempting to write an opinion about something you don't understand. ALSO, freedom of religion is a constitutional right. Whether or not you yourself want to practice christianity, you cannot say that it should be taught in public schools.

Genya GOLD said...
Genya GOLD, Bridgewater, New Jersey

"Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics."-Unknown Author

But if we don't teach creationism or evolution, what ARE we taught in science? We shouldn't have no idea about the beginning of life, but rather, all of the ideas. And while the Big Bang can't be proven, neither can God's existence.

aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

Even if the theory of evolution is incorrect, that doesn't make it okay for us to be forcing one specific religion upon people in schools.

The_Earl_of_Zerces PLATINUM, Waukesha, Wisconsin

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
-Sigmund Freud

I honestly don't get people that say that evolution isn't true and that it goes against the Bible. There's actually nothing at all in Genesis that goes against evolution. I know that sounds crazy, but it's true.

You see, contrary to popular belief, evolution has nothing to do with the origin of life. It never did. Evolution is merely supposed to explain the origin of species (hence Darwin's title). The theory of evolution DOES NOT say that we all evolved from single-celled organisms, in fact Darwin himself believed in Creationism. All that the theory of evolution says is that traits that enable a greater chance of survival and procreation will continue, while traits that do not will either die out or be rendered obsolete. You can see evidence of this in the varying races of humanity, the need to constantly update medicine to combat evolving germs, and the appendix, which serves no real purpose other than to get sick and possibly kill you.

Now YES, following the empirical train of thought, it does make sense to some people that if we all evolved from a common ancestor, then that in turn evolved from a common ancestor, which evolved from another simpler organism, which all leads back to the simplest form of life out there, wingle-celled organisms. BUT, the theory of evolution itself DOES NOT SAY THAT. It is perfectly plausible for one to belief in evolution and creationism.

Dreamboat said...
Dreamboat, Madison, Wisconsin

Would you mind not using my user name? It's like identity theft and very childish.

Dreamboat said...
Well I understand and yes I understood the joke (I don't apriciate the stap). Although people have the right to beleive what they want religion should be restricted to clubs and out of school activites, like church or mass. When you start trying to pass of religion as a viable scientific theory that's when I start to have a problem.