Evolution in Schools | Teen Ink

Evolution in Schools

By sydthekid BRONZE, Lewistown, Ohio
sydthekid BRONZE, Lewistown, Ohio

Replace fear of the unknown with curiosity.

America was founded on Christian principles. Just generations ago Biblical ideas were being taught in schools. Although we are known as a Christian country, religious ideas in public places are frowned upon or replaced. Now, scientific theories- evolution and the big bang- are being taught as fact to students across the nation. This is a growing problem because evolution is not a fact, only a weak theory based on misinterpreted evidence.

There are two types of evolution being taught. One type, also known as natural selection or species adaptation, is when specific changes occur in one species. According to Roger Patterson, author of Evolution Exposed, natural selection is how a species changes, or evolves, in short periods of time. For example, one breed of dog evolved slightly to create the many different breeds of dogs we have now. This makes sense. Why? All dogs are similar to each other. You could say the same for birds, fish, cats, or any other animal. However, the theory of evolution says every living thing on the earth- plants, humans, animals and microscopic organisms- originated from only one organism. This is unrealistic. Natural selection can be tested and observed. On the other hand, the theory of evolution should not be taught as logical, evident factual information because it has not been scientifically proven as most of the non-Christian scientific world would tell you.

Along with evolution, a theory for the origin of life, we have the Big Bang Theory, a theory for the origin of our universe. According to Dr. Jason Lisle, author of The Ultimate Proof of Creation, the Big Bang is a “rapid expansion of space and energy from a single infinitesimally small point, energy cooled and became matter, which condensed into stars and galaxies.” A simple explanation? Nothing expanded and then exploded creating the universe. This theory is contradictory to the 1st Law of Thermodynamics, which we are taught in physics. The law states that matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed, they are constant. School textbooks teach us the Big Bang really happened, but how could it have happened? The same textbooks say that matter and energy cannot be created. How can nothing form something? It can’t.

However, the creation of our universe can make sense if though about differently. “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth.” An infinite and holy being, like the Christian God, would be able to create matter and energy because He has the power to do so. As a student, why am I learning theories only to find out they are proven false chapters later in my textbook?

One thing that must be understood is that evolution is a historical theory- an explanation of past events based on the interpretation of evidence that is available in the present. The theory of evolution can not be tested or observed, but many scientists believe we can still understand how it happened. Biblical creation is also a historical theory- you cannot conduct scientific experiments to prove whether it is true or false. For science to be fact it has to be proven true using observations and experiments. As evolution cannot be observed or experimented on, It can never be deemed true. Evolution should be taught as a theory, not fact. False interpretations of the so-called evidence for the theory of evolution, even though commonly being “discovered” by the scientific world, rarely if ever, make it to the classrooms since schools use the same textbooks for many years.

Evolution uses the same evidence for its “truth” as creation does. The argument comes down to the interpretation of the evidence. The same facts that support evolution can support creation. We all have the same earth, same animals, same rocks, and same plants. Consider fossil bearing rock layers. A creationist would say it’s a result of the Genesis flood, whereas an evolutionist would say the area used to be a river and it eroded over millions of years. It’s the same evidence, but interpreted differently.

Evolution is a popular origins theory that is taught to students all over the country. It hasn’t been proven nor can it be. It is a view of the world’s creation. Just like I can’t force my views of creation on you, I shouldn’t have theories I don’t believe in taught to be in the classroom as if they were absolutes.

Works Cited
Boehler, Joey. “Institute of Apologetics”. Awake and Alive Youth Group. Grace Chapel
Christian Union, Wapakoneta, Ohio. 21 June, 2009.

Ham, Ken, ed. The New Answers Book 2. Green Forest, Arkansas: Master Books, 2008. Print.

Lisle, Jason. Ultimate Proof of Creation. Green Forest, Arkansas: Master Books, 2009. Print.

New International Version. Zondervan, ed. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan, 2000. Print.

Patterson, Roger. Evolution Exposed. Hebron, Kentucky: Answers in Genesis, 2007. Print.

I wrote this for my English class. We were told to write a paper on a subject we were passionate about.

on May. 12 2011 at 12:56 pm
I got a question for you, who came up with this theory evolution? I read the article, but highly doubt what it stated.  

on May. 11 2011 at 7:08 pm
sydthekid BRONZE, Lewistown, Ohio

I'm saying either neither should be taught or both should be taught. If not already evident, I am a Creationist. 

on May. 11 2011 at 6:31 pm
Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

Are you proposing, then, that neither evolutionism nor creationsim be taught as solid fact?