Souless | Teen Ink

Souless

March 23, 2011
By Goldstick BRONZE, Shoreline, Washington
Goldstick BRONZE, Shoreline, Washington
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Their dread turns wish; they yearn for what they fear." -Dante Alighieri


Not everybody has a soul. Actually it is rare for a person to have one.
Some children were simply born without it. These children never cared. They lacked a personality. Without a soul, they grew up to die an empty existence. The children had no chance of gaining feeling, personality or themselves. They never knew what they lost.
Most people are born with souls but in one way or another they are lost. It is tragic. A soul disappears for many reasons. It could be from lack of hope or from loss. It’s nearly impossible for someone to realize that their own soul has vanished. People believe that it happens to other people but never themselves. But it is easy t o tell when someone else is missing a soul. These people are blank, emotionless.
Once a soul is lost it is still possible to regain it. First the individual has to realize what has happened, that is the hardest step. After that it is simple. One must find something to believe in, such as religion or a boyfriend. Then one begins to hope and dream again. Slowly the soul returns.
I lost my soul and I am on a quest to find it.
My soul disappeared when Joshua died. It faded away in a split second.
Joshua was my neighbor, he lived a few houses down the block. We were born one month apart and best-friends ever since. I shared my existence with him, we did everything together. From sleepovers on his trampoline to swimming in my pool. Our friends were the same, our schools were the same but our personalities were the opposite. He was passionate and quite. His spare time was spent playing music on the violin. On the other hand I was obnoxious and loud. I cared too much about what others thought and television took up my free time. Though our personalities were contrary to each other we never got into arguments. We disagreed about almost everything but we cared about our friendship too much to be angry.
In summary, he was my other half, my twin.
I always thought I would have him, like how a child takes his parents for granted. It never crossed my mind that one day he would be gone.
He died the day before high school. He jumped off of the 520 bridge, he killed himself. I don’t know why. I don’t know any details. Maybe he had depression or maybe he was more scared of high school than death. It was random and sudden. I think it happened because he was too holy to live on this earth. His life and his death were a lesson to me. Without knowing it he taught all I need to know, especially about souls.
Joshua had a soul. He had a beautiful soul. Too great to last.
It’s been over a year. Since then I’ve been etched away by too much of the same. Each day is identical to the day before. Nothing is bad but nothing is good. Hope is replaced with the fear of disappointment.
In the past months, I’ve become aware of souls. A boring life and an overwhelming amount of free time has forced me to think. Now I understand what is missing from me and I can begin the task of regaining it.
Now I just need something to believe in.