Death | Teen Ink

Death

October 13, 2009
By maia11 SILVER, Urbandale, Iowa
maia11 SILVER, Urbandale, Iowa
7 articles 0 photos 2 comments

On various occasions people would ask me if I was afraid of death. The first answer that comes to mind is, “Yes.” Isn’t everyone afraid of the unknown? The first day of preschool, as we clung helplessly to our parent’s legs. Crying and negotiating for the removal from the situation. Nothing could have stopped that fear. We didn’t know what to expect from school, as we do not know what to expect from death.

What could bring a person to say “no” to this divine question? Perhaps faith in their respective religion. This brings a completely new angle to the question. Does the true faith in a religion bring it to be true, or is there a religion that is the absolute truth? Most would argue there is one true religion, an absolute truth, that is the beacon of light in today’s society that is shrouded by sin and wickedness. Yet so many people could lack the fear of death, but believe in religions that differ from each other’s in the entirety.

Is death something to be feared or embraced? Some would scoff at the idea of embracing death. We have been told to “live life to the fullest” and when pushed to do new things, we “only live once.” If we embrace death, is that not suicide of the soul, are you then not just waiting for death? In that sense, life is death’s waiting room.

“Curiosity killed the cat.” Most people are curious to what lies after we die. Is it a place filled with gold lines streets, and an almighty creator? Or is it blackness, as our bodies were our last ties to thought, for we are gone? Perhaps curiosity didn’t kill the cat, maybe curiosity drove the cat to death.

If there is one thing that we are certain with life is, it is death. It is a sad and frightening truth. Just think, if you knew you were going to go somewhere on Saturday, yet you didn’t know where or what would happen, would you not be utterly terrified? Within our life, we have become satisfied in a part that we will die. Yet, most of us strive for that absolute truth.

If death is certain, maybe we should not fear it. We should view it as the long awaited journey that could end in a variety of ways. For isn’t life a pick-your-own-ending adventure?